Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eagles Getting 2 time all pro safety Kevin Byard
The Tennessee Titans are trading All-Pro defensive back Kevin Byard to the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles will be sending the Titans a 2024 5th and 6th rounder and safety Terrell Edmunds, per multiple league sources.

The #Titans paid Kevin Byard $7 million of his $11M compensation for 2023 in a signing bonus as part of a revised deal back in July. So, not much cash involved in the transaction for the #Eagles, who add a two-time first-team All-Pro

———————
Not bad. He is 30 years old, but the window for teams like the eagles (and bengals) is now. Giving up, what amounts to a 4th, for an all pro caliber safety is a good move..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Eagles are probably the best overall roster in the league and they’re still going out and making big moves.

The Bengals have come a long way in the last few years, but I can’t imagine them being this aggressive.

Reply/Quote
This isn't even "aggressive".

Bengals just don't go all in for the here and now. We could have used a safety to replace Scott.

You'd think if there was going to be a move made it would be made today or by Wednesday. They looked at the bye week and saw what we saw as far as what will be needed to win the division. They either don't think they can or don't care to.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Eagles are probably the best overall roster in the league and they’re still going out and making big moves.

The Bengals have come a long way in the last few years, but I can’t imagine them being this aggressive.

Yep, and it’s an area of need for a win now team.

They also have a high paid qb, high paid receiver. It can be done.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:08 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Yep, and it’s an area of need for a win now team.

They also have a high paid qb, high paid receiver. It can be done.

Speaking of AJ Brown, holy shit is he good. 5 straight games of 125+ yards. Only Megatron has ever done that before. Tee (and his agent) are crazy if they think he should get more than Brown.

Reply/Quote
Never been one to see one team do something and get mad at us for not doing it.

So much went right for the Eagles to be where they are. There’s no real replicating Jalen Carter falling in the draft when he was prior slated to be a top 5 pick.

There’s no way to replicate hitting on Hurts and Devonta Smith.

These guys they’ve signed in FA were not known
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:16 PM)Housh Wrote: Never been one to see one team do something and get mad at us for not doing it.

So much went right for the Eagles to be where they are. There’s no real replicating Jalen Carter falling in the draft when he was prior slated to be a top 5 pick.

What does this even mean? D. Smith was a top 10 pick. You’re expected to hit on those, as they’re usually layups (tbf we also hit on our last couple).

Reply/Quote

This defense, along with what they already have at QB, WR, and OL I can’t see how they aren’t back in the Super Bowl if they stay healthy.

Reply/Quote
It's crazy to me how much teams overvalue draft picks...especially good teams.

Go and trade that 5 and 6 (which you prob won't hit on anyway) for a proven commodity.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:16 PM)Housh Wrote: Never been one to see one team do something and get mad at us for not doing it.

In addition to byard, players on the eagles (this year) that came from other teams, that are not “not known”

It’s not about the player, it’s about the overall lack of sense of urgency.

AJ Brown - acquired via trade (pro bowl 2020)

On March 16, 2022, Hassan Reddick signed a three-year, $45 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

On May 18, 2022, James Bradberry signed a one-year, $7.5 million contract (plus incentives) with the Philadelphia Eagles. (Pro bowler 2020)

On October 3, 2023, Bradley Roby signed with the Philadelphia Eagles practice squad after fielding interest from multiple teams.

On March 20, 2020, Darius Slay was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for a third-round and fifth-round selection in the 2020 NFL Draft. (All pro and pro bowl)

On April 29, 2023, the Philadelphia Eagles traded a 2025 fourth-round pick for deandre Swift and a swap of 2023 seventh-round picks during the 2023 NFL Draft.

Would You be able to tell me that swift wouldn’t be able to contribute more than Charlie jones this year?

Edit: we would still have jones, the 4th round pick is for a player still in college football, won’t be drafted for another 18 months.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
This defense, along with what they already have at QB, WR, and OL I can’t see how they aren’t back in the Super Bowl if they stay healthy.

Pair that with how bad the NFC is and they are a virtual shoe in. Only one that stands in their path are the 49ers. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's crazy to me how much teams overvalue draft picks...especially good teams.

Go and trade that 5 and 6 (which you prob won't hit on anyway) for a proven commodity.

Swift and Byard for a (2025) 4, (2024) 5 and (2024) 6…. Considering our holes in this team this year, we might look a whole lot different.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:32 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: In addition to byard, players on the eagles (this year) that came from other teams, that are not “not known”

It’s not about the player, it’s about the overall lack of sense of urgency.  

AJ Brown - acquired via trade (pro bowl 2020)

On March 16, 2022, Hassan Reddick signed a three-year, $45 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

On May 18, 2022, James Bradberry signed a one-year, $7.5 million contract (plus incentives) with the Philadelphia Eagles. (Pro bowler 2020)

On October 3, 2023, Bradley Roby signed with the Philadelphia Eagles practice squad after fielding interest from multiple teams.

On March 20, 2020, Darius Slay was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for a third-round and fifth-round selection in the 2020 NFL Draft. (All pro and pro bowl)

On April 29, 2023, the Philadelphia Eagles traded a 2025 fourth-round pick for deandre Swift and a swap of 2023 seventh-round picks during the 2023 NFL Draft.

Would You be able to tell me that swift wouldn’t be able to contribute more than Charlie jones this year?

The Bengals are going for sustainability rather than "going all in". 

The problem with that philosophy is that there is a competent middle ground you can reach and the Bengals don't seem to even entertain it. You can trade that 5th and 6th in 2024 for a guy like Byard. What are the odds of us realistically hitting on a 5th or 6th rounder? Look back at our draft history and let me know when the last time a guy that late REALLY made an imapct for us. I mean we are out here drafting punters and FG kickers with those picks these days. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: They either don't think they can or don't care to.

Holy Shit. You just jarred some horrible memories of our FO. I hope you are wrong, but as long as Mikeys alive, I won't count out anything.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:34 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Swift and Byard for a (2025) 4, (2024) 5 and (2024) 6…. Considering our holes in this team this year, we might look a whole lot different.

Trey Hill, Chris Evans, Khalid Kareem, Hakeem Adeniji, Trayveon Williams, Deshawn Davis, Rodney Anderson, Darius Phillips, Andrew Brown. 

Those are our 5 and 6 round position players drafted over the past 4 years. Yeah...
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:39 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Bengals are going for sustainability rather than "going all in". 

The problem with that philosophy is that there is a competent middle ground you can reach and the Bengals don't seem to even entertain it. You can trade that 5th and 6th in 2024 for a guy like Byard. What are the odds of us realistically hitting on a 5th or 6th rounder? Look back at our draft history and let me know when the last time a guy that late REALLY made an imapct for us. I mean we are out here drafting punters and FG kickers with those picks these days. 

I said this in another thread… you don’t have to go full rams “f them picks” mentality to find a middle ground of making your team better while not mortgaging the future. The eagles have done that well. Even aj brown, who they gave a first for, is young enough and good enough to have warranted that. Bengals are in a different position (this year anyway) with the receiver room, but look at the roster holes and we could do something. Swift, Byard… as examples.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: This isn't even "aggressive".

I knew someone would focus in on my wording there. Proactive then instead of aggressive.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:45 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I said this in another thread… you don’t have to go full rams “f them picks” mentality to find a middle ground of making your team better while not mortgaging the future.  The eagles have done that well.  Even aj brown, who they gave a first for, is young enough and good enough to have warranted that.  Bengals are in a different position (this year anyway) with the receiver room, but look at the roster holes and we could do something.  Swift, Byard… as examples.

I wish a team would just follow the model of "**** it, anything over a 4th round pick we are going to trade for a known commodity every year". I'd be fascinated to see how it works out. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What does this even mean? D. Smith was a top 10 pick. You’re expected to hit on those, as they’re usually layups (tbf we also hit on our last couple).

You know what i mean

You can’t realistically go in a draft and EXPECT to land starters

I guess i still subscribe to the old school train of thought that the draft is a crapshoot picks 1-whatever the last pick is.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:39 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Bengals are going for sustainability rather than "going all in". 

This is an age old debate on here

Our aggressiveness in FA and trades

Since Iv been watching NFL and NBA i can say not ONE team has “bought a ring”.
I guess you could say those 2 years Golden state had Kevin Durant they kinda paid for a ring but that neglects that the Warriors were already the best team in the league. Kyrie and LeBron dropping 30+ a game that finals doesn’t take away that GS was the better team that year.

We could absolutely do trades more but in my
Mind it’s not automatic that all those trades will be successful so i can’t in good conscience shit on us for not doing it more
-Housh
Reply/Quote