Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early 2023 predictions
For those who think the Bengals get no respect from the national media…

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35623219/2023-nfl-predictions-experts-debate-mvp-super-bowl-lviii-most-interesting-teams-breakout-candidates-next-season
Reply/Quote
I don't think it's outrageous to predict the Bengals in the Super Bowl, or even winning it.
They have shown the past two seasons they can hang right there with the heavyweights of the league.
The Bengals do need to make sure to show confidence improving the OL, plus either not losing key FAs or having quality replacements in place.
I think most are putting the Bengals in that category because they expect the above to happen.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 01:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think most are putting the Bengals in that category because they expect the above to happen.

Good take and last season's offseason exemplified the organization is making efforts to improve since they dipped into FA to sign Hurst, Cappa, Karras, and Collins.
Reply/Quote
Remind me to never listen to anything the guy who picked the Dolphins has to say. He thinks they are getting past KC, the Bengals and the Bills?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Predictions before Franchise Tags, FA, and the draft. Lol

Being an NFL ESPN person during the offseason has to be tough at times. Gotta generate that content.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 01:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't think it's outrageous to predict the Bengals in the Super Bowl, or even winning it.
They have shown the past two seasons they can hang right there with the heavyweights of the league.
The Bengals do need to make sure to show confidence improving the OL, plus either not losing key FAs or having quality replacements in place.
I think most are putting the Bengals in that category because they expect the above to happen.

Yes, nice take Ocho. This is from espn so I take it with a grain of salt but anyone overlooking this team is making a mistake.

With Joe Burrow and Lou's Defense we should be favorites as long as we take care of the OL and add players to make up for a 
couple leaving in Bates and probably Pratt and a Corner. Not sweating this Offseason honestly, we are in a great spot. It is the 
next Offseason where we could see a much bigger roster turnover. We are bringing back essentially the same team that nearly 
went to the Super Bowl 2 seasons in a row.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 01:35 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: For those who think the Bengals get no respect from the national media…

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35623219/2023-nfl-predictions-experts-debate-mvp-super-bowl-lviii-most-interesting-teams-breakout-candidates-next-season

Okay who put the Cowboys in the Superbowl!  lol....
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 04:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Remind me to never listen to anything the guy who picked the Dolphins has to say.  He thinks they are getting past KC, the Bengals and the Bills?

Your reaction is exactly why he made such a prediction.  To get people to talk about his batshit crazy hot-take.

Some (most)  "journalists" are just obsessed with getting as many eyeballs on their five sentences as possible.
Reply/Quote
Still no respect...some of those people are picking us to LOSE!  Wink

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Early is an understatement. Predictions now is the equivalent to being at your wife’s funeral and during the ceremony looking on eharmony for a date.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 04:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Okay who put the Cowboys in the Superbowl!  lol....

Pretty sure Jerry pays ESPN for at least one analyst to predict Cowboys in the SB every year.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 10:13 PM)GodFather Wrote: Early is an understatement.  Predictions now is the equivalent to being at your wife’s funeral and during the ceremony looking on  eharmony for a date.

Could be looking to spice up the wedding night....

Reply/Quote
The Bengals won 10 in a row. They lost Chase their number 1 receiver, Chido their best corner, 3 OL starters and Mixon some. KC and Philly were much healthier. The way the OL was gelling I really think we’d have won it all this year. I like looking at your top opponents and their off season situation. I don’t think KC retains Orlando Brown. Buffalo and Brandon Beane are already crying in their soup for cap issues. Philly has a whole team of free agents. SF as others picked looks the most formidable.

The Bengals to me look like they can survive off season free agency and can improve their team the best. I doubt they cut Mixon or restructure. I know I’m in the minority. I think they give up their second rounder and swap first rounders with Detroit and get a tackle at 18.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 12:47 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The Bengals won 10 in a row. They lost Chase their number 1 receiver, Chido their best corner, 3 OL starters and Mixon some. KC and Philly were much healthier. The way the OL was gelling I really think we’d have won it all this year. I like looking at your top opponents and their off season situation. I don’t think KC retains Orlando Brown. Buffalo and Brandon Beane are already crying in their soup for cap issues. Philly has a whole team of free agents. SF as others picked looks the most formidable.

The Bengals to me look like they can survive off season free agency and can improve their team the best. I doubt they cut Mixon or restructure. I know I’m in the minority. I think they give up their second rounder and swap first rounders with Detroit and get a tackle at 18.

A lot of good points Soonerpeace. Don't forget DJ being down for quite a bit. We can improve even if we keep Mixon's contract but 
I still think the best move is to either restructure his contract or cut him so we can afford more improvements and go all in on a SB.

We need a couple OT's. 1 in FA and 1 early in the Draft because of La'el's injury and Jonah not playing up to par and also always 
being banged up. Would be nice to also add some to the Secondary, but we have to retain Bell, Hurst, Perine, Apple and Flowers.

Cutting Mixon who isn't a good pass blocker would be the easiest move to really improve the team and you know I like Mixon.

Just doesn't matter how good of a runner or pass catcher you are at RB if you cannot pass block. Perine can pass block and so 
can Trayveon Williams and we can add a talented RB that can pass block in the Draft.
Reply/Quote
I'm not putting all my stock into ESPN's "expert's" opinions, but it is nice to see the respect and knowledge that we have Burrow, so anything is possible, especially with Chase and then also guys like Higgins, Boyd, and Hurst.

I do think that Mixon could break out if he's used properly because teams will be so focused on stopping Burrow, but, if we need to cut him to free up money to improve the offensive line, that's obviously more important.

I like how it points out that we have a strong core of players, which will obviously always be the case as long as we have Burrow because players will want to come and play for a winner (I realize money trumps all, but good players will come here knowing that the organization is stable with no chance of blowing up the roster).

The one analyst mentions Lou, which I think is telling, especially with our talent that he can work with.

It's going to be a hell of a year!
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 12:47 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The Bengals to me look like they can survive off season free agency and can improve their team the best. I doubt they cut Mixon or restructure. I know I’m in the minority. I think they give up their second rounder and swap first rounders with Detroit and get a tackle at 18.

If we are all honest, Mixon cut or restructured is highly unlikely based upon our history, makes sense to many fans it will be interested to watch.

What OT (specific or list) are you hoping to get at #18?  Which tackle spot do you think requires the most immediate attention?

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 05:06 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If we are all honest, Mixon cut or restructured is highly unlikely based upon our history, makes sense to many fans it will be interested to watch.

What OT (specific or list) are you hoping to get at #18?  Which tackle spot do you think requires the most immediate attention?

As with what we've seen the last couple offseasons in free agency, the Bengals 'history' in this regard, needs to change. If you want to keep playing with the big boys, you need to play like the big boys and that's what the big boys do--part with pieces you don't necessarily want to part with, because it can make your team better. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 05:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: As with what we've seen the last couple offseasons in free agency, the Bengals 'history' in this regard, needs to change. If you want to keep playing with the big boys, you need to play like the big boys and that's what the big boys do--part with pieces you don't necessarily want to part with, because it can make your team better. 

The fans in New England were in an uproar the 1st year Belichick instituted the mantra "I'd rather lose a player one year too early than one year too late", they got over it and have been bragging about it ever since.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 05:06 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If we are all honest, Mixon cut or restructured is highly unlikely based upon our history, makes sense to many fans it will be interested to watch.

Bucky Brooks

1. Paris Johnson Jr., Ohio State
2. Peter Skoronski, Northwestern
3. Broderick Jones, Georgia
4. Darnell Wright, Tennessee
5. Cody Mauch, North Dakota State
PFF
1. Skoronski
2. Johnson
3. Anton Harrison (Okla)
4. Jones
5. Mauch

Walter Football
1. Skoronski
2. Johnson
3. Tyler Sheen Ala
4. Jaelyn Duncan Maryland
5. Wright

Draftek
1. Skoronski
2. Johnson
3. Jones
4. Harrison
5. Blake Freeland BYU

CBSSports.com
1. Skoronski
2. Johnson
3. Jones
4. Harrison
5. Freeland

Todd McShay
1. Skoronski
2. Johnson
3. Jones
4. Harrison
5. Duncan

I know you like Wright and I like Jones but most likely Skoronski and Johnson gone by 18. So it’d be out of 3 or 4 guys.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 06:06 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Bucky Brooks

1. Paris Johnson Jr., Ohio State
2. Peter Skoronski, Northwestern
3. Broderick Jones, Georgia
4. Darnell Wright, Tennessee
5. Cody Mauch, North Dakota State
PFF
1. Skoronski
2. Johnson
3. Anton Harrison (Okla)
4. Jones
5. Mauch

Walter Football
1. Skoronski
2. Johnson
3. Tyler Sheen Ala
4. Jaelyn Duncan Maryland
5. Wright

Draftek
1. Skoronski
2. Johnson
3. Jones
4. Harrison
5. Blake Freeland BYU

CBSSports.com
1. Skoronski
2. Johnson
3. Jones
4. Harrison
5. Freeland

Todd McShay
1. Skoronski
2. Johnson
3. Jones
4. Harrison
5. Duncan

I know you like Wright and I like Jones but most likely Skoronski and Johnson gone by 18. So it’d be out of 3 or 4 guys.

If it would be 3 or 4 guys why trade up and lose the 2nd most valuable pick?   As of today it seems that Wright and/or Johnson will be around at 28. Harrison is a maybe, Duncan absolutely should be there. I see no reason to give up a 2nd round pick for a guy that that has a good chance to be available, especially if they like 2-3 guys, someone will be there at 28.

As great as Skoronski is, he may actually be a guard, he has Jonah arms.  I would bet Mauch moves to Guard as well.

Reply/Quote