Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early April Mock
1) Ja'Marr Chase, WR LSU (6'1", 208 lb) - It's no secret Joe Burrow would love to reunite with Chase. Plus, this OL class is deep, as Duke Tobin said in a podcast on 4/5. Chase and Higgins outside with Boyd in the slot. Pretty damn nice, if not excessive.

2) Alex Leatherwood, OL Alabama (6'5", 312 lb) - Versatile OL who shifted from RG to LT after Jonah Williams got drafted. Leatherwood is a perfect guy to start at RG on Day 1 and possibly experiment playing OT if they so choose.

3) Spencer Brown, OT Northern Iowa (6'8", 314 lb) - Small school player who checks every single box from a size, length, athleticism, and strength standpoint. However, making the jump from FCS to Pros isn't something easily done. Brown can come in and be a swing OT for a year (or two) before taking over as a starter at RT (or even LT).

4) Patrick Jones, DE Pitt (6'4", 264 lb) - Ideal fit as a 4-3 DE who showcased a variety of pass rushing moves, athleticism, and bend in college. Needs work to getting off blocks and add strength, as he can get beat by a single defender. By having Hendrickson and Hubbard, Jones can be part of a rotation while he continues to bulk up and work on his improving his deficiencies.

5) Kenny Yeboah, TE Ole Miss (6'4", 247 lb) - Guy who spent 4 years at Temple then transferred to Ole Miss. He showed he can hang in a Power 5 conference, putting up 524-6 in just 7 games. He has solid size, can block, and can be a contributor in the passing game.

6) Alaric Jackson, OL Iowa (6'5", 318 lb) - Played OT at Iowa, but has a severe lack of length to stick outside in the NFL. However, he has the athleticism and ability that he could develop into a good OG. The long-term OL could be Williams-Jackson-Hopkins/2022 draft pick-Leatherwood-Brown.

6-HOU) Evan McPherson, K Florida (5'11", 185 lb) - Arguably the top K in the draft. McPherson had a career 85% FG percentage with a long of 55, so he has the leg and accuracy needed.

7) Cade Johnson, WR/RS SDSU (5'10", 180 lb) - Speedy FCS guy who put up a lot of yards and TDs in 2018 and 2019. He also was a great KR. He can compete with the likes of Morgan and Washington for that final WR spot, and might get it because of his speed and return ability.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be upset with that draft!
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy
Reply/Quote
You make a good point about getting a return guy. We still haven't replaced Alex. Are we planning to use Wilson for punts now too? Ourlads has Phillips there but that seems random. Not sure he'll even be back.

Whether it's Cade Johnson above, Eskridge, Schwartz, Darden, Atwell, St Brown or one of the Moores, I'm assuming the job will fall to whatever ~ 5'9 receiver we get our hands on.
Reply/Quote
Dope.
Reply/Quote
Nice mock. I think the only change I'd make is adding a RB in the later rounds instead of the 3rd O-lineman.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 09:28 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Nice mock. I think the only change I'd make is adding a RB in the later rounds instead of the 3rd O-lineman.

I didn't see the logic in that since they have Mixon, Perine, and Williams for 2+ years. They can always get a RB next year if they wanted one. Right now, they have 4 including Bernard.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 09:35 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't see the logic in that since they have Mixon, Perine, and Williams for 2+ years. They can always get a RB next year if they wanted one. Right now, they have 4 including Bernard.

I'm sure you've read the threads speculating Geo could be gone this offseason. Mixon has an out in his contract after this year. If his 2021 is like his 2020, they could cut bait. I think Perine is a fine #3. And Williams hasn't shown he's more than a back of the roster guy. Anybody brought in would be competition for Williams and would hopefully have plus receiving ability to offset the potential loss of Geo. 

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 09:53 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I'm sure you've read the threads speculating Geo could be gone this offseason. Mixon has an out in his contract after this year. If his 2021 is like his 2020, they could cut bait. I think Perine is a fine #3. And Williams hasn't shown he's more than a back of the roster guy. Anybody brought in would be competition for Williams and would hopefully have plus receiving ability to offset the potential loss of Geo. 

I get it, but the Bengals would be fine even without Gio, and if Mixon is gone after this season, get a RB replacement next year.
Williams is a fine, well-rounded RB. The Bengals just have to use him more.
In college, he caught 66 passes for 561 yards. 27 of those passes were in his final year.
In very limited snaps last year, he rushed 26 times for 157 yards for an average of 6.0 YPC.
He also added 5 receptions for 30 yards on 5 targets.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 10:04 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I get it, but the Bengals would be fine even without Gio, and if Mixon is gone after this season, get a RB replacement next year.
Williams is a fine, well-rounded RB. The Bengals just have to use him more.
In college, he caught 66 passes for 561 yards. 27 of those passes were in his final year.
In very limited snaps last year, he rushed 26 times for 157 yards for an average of 6.0 YPC.
He also added 5 receptions for 30 yards on 5 targets.

I agree it's a lowkey need right now but it still becomes more of an issue if you lose Geo from the depth chart. They'd want a 4th & 5th RB for camp and I think they carry 4 RBs, right? I'd prefer one of them be a late round guy they see something in over both being UDFAs. 

You seem to like Williams a lot but I think Williams is just a guy otherwise he would have had more usage. The opportunity was there. You looked up his stats so I'm sure you saw 1/3 of his yards came on one carry. He obviously earned the 6.0 YPC average, but it tells a different story when there are so few carries. And if college stats mattered, then Archie Griffin was the best RB in Bengals history. :) 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 10:53 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I agree it's a lowkey need right now but it still becomes more of an issue if you lose Geo from the depth chart. They'd want a 4th & 5th RB for camp and I think they carry 4 RBs, right? I'd prefer one of them be a late round guy they see something in over both being UDFAs. 

You seem to like Williams a lot but I think Williams is just a guy otherwise he would have had more usage. The opportunity was there. You looked up his stats so I'm sure you saw 1/3 of his yards came on one carry. He obviously earned the 6.0 YPC average, but it tells a different story when there are so few carries. And if college stats mattered, then Archie Griffin was the best RB in Bengals history. :) 

Well now that Bernard has been released, I can see them potentially wanting a RB if they wanted to keep 4.
However, they do have Jacques Patrick from the PS or could go get a cheap veteran in FA or a UDFA.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I would like to see more than one defensive lineman be drafted other than that solid draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 09:35 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't see the logic in that since they have Mixon, Perine, and Williams for 2+ years. They can always get a RB next year if they wanted one. Right now, they have 4 including Bernard.

Gio was released i'm pretty sure we'll be drafting a RB somewhere. Id' say 4th or 5th round. I like Herbert and I like Gainwell.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 12:12 PM)J24 Wrote: I would like to see more than one defensive lineman be drafted other than that solid draft.

I originally had a DT in 5th round until I realized the Bengals would already be at 9 DL with a drafted DE:

DE - Hendrickson, Hubbard, Kareem, draft pick
DT - Reader, Ogunjobi, Daniels, Tupou, Wren

Maybe they go 10 DL though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 01:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I originally had a DT in 5th round until I realized the Bengals would already be at 9 DL with a drafted DE:

DE - Hendrickson, Hubbard, Kareem, draft pick
DT - Reader, Ogunjobi, Daniels, Tupou, Wren

Maybe they go 10 DL though.

Wren has to have an unbelievable off-season to make the roster. We don't have room for three Nose tackles on the roster. Daniels isn't reliable; he is 32 and hasn't played in a full season since 2016.  3T is the biggest need on the roster right now followed closely by edge. Ideally they would add two or 3 defensive lineman in this draft.
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 01:39 PM)J24 Wrote: Wren has to have an unbelievable off-season to make the roster. We don't have room for three Nose tackles on the roster. Daniels isn't reliable; he is 32 and hasn't played in a full season since 2016.  3T is the biggest need on the roster right now followed closely by edge. Ideally they would add two or 3 defensive lineman in this draft.

Is Wren a NT? I thought he was a 3T/5T.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 01:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Is Wren a NT? I thought he was a 3T/5T.

I think he plays all three but he primarily a nose. Similar to Topu.
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 12:57 PM)pulses Wrote: Gio was released i'm pretty sure we'll be drafting a RB somewhere. Id' say 4th or 5th round. I like Herbert and I like Gainwell.

(04-07-2021, 01:42 PM)J24 Wrote: I think he plays all three but he primarily a nose. Similar to Topu.

Rds 5 and 6 are the spots I'd be willing to be most flexible.
Perhaps a DT and RB instead of Yeboah and Jackson.
I think there will be plenty of RB2-caliber guys late this season, as well as some depth DTs who could knock Wren off the roster and groom.

Some guys I like at each position in Rd 5-6 range:
DT - Marlon Tuipulotu (he may not make it here), Jaylen Twyman, Darius Stills, Bobby Brown III, Mustafa Johnson
RB - Khalil Herbert (he may not make it there), Jaret Patterson, Javian Hawkins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 06:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Rds 5 and 6 are the spots I'd be willing to be most flexible.
Perhaps a DT and RB instead of Yeboah and Jackson.
I think there will be plenty of RB2-caliber guys late this season, as well as some depth DTs who could knock Wren off the roster and groom.

Some guys I like at each position in Rd 5-6 range:
DT - Marlon Tuipulotu (he may not make it here), Jaylen Twyman, Darius Stills, Bobby Brown III, Mustafa Johnson
RB - Khalil Herbert (he may not make it there), Jaret Patterson, Javian Hawkins

I think they'll draft a TE as well. I think Uzomah is the next to be cut IMO.
Reply/Quote
Love this draft.
Reply/Quote