Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Early Game Plan For Chiefs
1. First off, we need to establish Mixon. Control the clock. We need to keep Mahomes on the sideline as long as possible. We only ran Mixon 14 times against the Titans and only 4 times with anyone else, two of which were Burrow.

That's my biggest fear and has been under Taylor: he'll get too cute and won't do what's working to win. That's especially true here because Mahomes is a million times better than Tannehill.

In 7 of 8 of games Mahomes has lost, the opponent has won the ball possession battle.

2. Bring pressure

We need to find a way to pressure Mahomes. He'll kill us if we let him sit back and let Kelce and Hill run forever to get open. We need Reader to bring pressure up the middle and we need BJ Hill to do the same thing, which I think they're both up to the challenge. We also need our ends to bring pressure but they can't over-pursue too much upfield because Mahomes will step-up, escape to the outside, and beat us like that.

Mix in some blitzes.

3. Reduce explosive plays.

Bringing pressure will hopefully accomplish that.

4. Try to limit Kelce and Hill

Goes without saying but we obviously need to stop them and let other players beat us.

4. Take away the middle of the field.

It seems like we've given up some big plays over the middle, which is especially troubling with Kelce, and those are obviously also the easiest throws to make. Make Mahomes make the tough throws to the outside, especially since he'll be under pressure. It pisses me off to when we see the middle of the field wide open.

5. Keep an eye on the backs out of the backfield.

Kills me when I think we have a team stopped only to see a swing pass to a back and he runs 12 yards for a first down.

I know those won't be easy, but let me know your keys to victory or thoughts on how to accomplish any of those!
Reply/Quote
Agree with everything except number 1.

I don't think you go overboard trying to establish Mixon when it's clear that we don't run the ball nearly as well as we throw it. We cooked that defense last time by throwing the ball and they had no answers for it.

There are ways to take time off the clock without running the ball.

The reality is that KC is loaded on offense and we are going to need some big plays on defense. You can't expect to contain a QB like Mahomes with the weapons that he has for an entire game. We'll need some turnovers to even out the playing field.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 06:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Agree with everything except number 1.

I don't think you go overboard trying to establish Mixon when it's clear that we don't run the ball nearly as well as we throw it.  We cooked that defense last time by throwing the ball and they had no answers for it.

There are ways to take time off the clock without running the ball.  

The reality is that KC is loaded on offense and we are going to need some big plays on defense.  You can't expect to contain a QB like Mahomes with the weapons that he has for an entire game.  We'll need some turnovers to even out the playing field.

Don't overdo it if it's not working, but we need to at least establish the run game.

KC was middle of the road in defending the run in the regular season so we need to take advantage of that.

Burrow was sacked nine times, so you have to think that running the ball more will reduce that number by a lot and also give Burrow more of a rest.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 06:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Don't overdo it if it's not working, but we need to at least establish the run game.

KC was middle of the road in defending the run in the regular season so we need to take advantage of that.

Burrow was sacked nine times, so you have to think that running the ball more will reduce that number by a lot and also give Burrow more of a rest.

Burrow wasn't sacked 9 times the last time we played the Chiefs.  This is a completely different game and completely different defense.

I don't want to waste plays against a team like KC - you can't.  The running game has been bad recently and we can't afford to sacrifice early downs and end up in 3rd and long.

Give me some short screens, slants, jet sweeps.  We don't need to rest Burrow, the only shot we have is he has a huge game.
Reply/Quote
The first thing that needs to be addressed to me is getting prince and Adeniji out of the lineup plain and simple..I don't think I'm in the minority when I say I've seen enough from those guys..Carman was a 2nd round pick who has a ton of potential and fred Johnson has flashed at rt when giving an opportunity..

So the first thing that should be addressed is fixing the blocking because I don't want to see my qb on the ****** ground anymore this season..
Reply/Quote
I don't mind running every once in a while but we don't do it very good that's a fact. Keep the ball in Burrow hand and move the chains. Very important to shorten the game and keep their offense off the field.

Eli and Hilton dropped picks vs. Mahomes last game... got to keep your hands on it this go around.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 06:37 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: The first thing that needs to be addressed to me is getting prince and Adeniji out of the lineup plain and simple..I don't think I'm in the minority when I say I've seen enough from those guys..Carman was a 2nd round pick who has a ton of potential and fred Johnson has flashed at rt when giving an opportunity..

So the first thing that should be addressed is fixing the blocking because I don't want to see my qb on the ****** ground anymore this season..

In the offseason, sure, but I don't think you can make that move right now.  

Is Fred even healthy?
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 06:37 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: The first thing that needs to be addressed to me is getting prince and Adeniji out of the lineup plain and simple..I don't think I'm in the minority when I say I've seen enough from those guys..Carman was a 2nd round pick who has a ton of potential and fred Johnson has flashed at rt when giving an opportunity..

Yeah I was trying to remember what game Spain got knicked up and Carman came in. Was it the Chiefs game? Not suggesting we replace Spain but if Carman held up good we might need to replace Adeniji.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 06:38 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I don't mind running every once in a while but we don't do it very good that's a fact.  Keep the ball in Burrow hand and move the chains. Very important to shorten the game and keep their offense off the field.

Eli and Hilton dropped picks vs. Mahomes last game... got to keep your hands on it this go around.

Yeah I agree. I hope we manage to run efficiently but Burrow is the only way we win this game. Maybe if we had the Browns line and Chubb to pair with Mixon we that plan would work. Also absolutely agree we can't let would be turnovers go we need to capitalize.
Reply/Quote
1. No turnovers
2. Avoid 3rd & long situations
3. Move the chains
4. Score on every possession
5. Tackle and secure on first contact
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Good Morning Football was just laying out their keys to a Bengals victory and basically said what I did.

We're 6-1 when we win TOP and 7-2 when Mixon touches it 20+ times. Feed the ball to Mixon early and often to set up manageable second and third downs and keep Mahomes off the field.

Peter Schrager said he was texting Taylor so hopefully Taylor was thinking this or at least takes notes because, as I always say, sometimes I feel like he tries to do too much to win the game as a coach instead of running the ball, moving the chains, and keeping it simple.

I'm feeling good about this!

WHO-DEY!
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 06:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: 4. Try to limit Kelce and Hill

Goes without saying but we obviously need to stop them and let other players beat us.

We need to put Flowers on Kelce when we play man-to-man (and then maybe even a safety over the top of him). He has done a fairly good job at guarding tight ends and I think he matches up best with him physically.
Reply/Quote
Just keep Joeyb on his feet and we'll win this game. I trust our D more than KC's.

In fact, you could argue our D has been playing among the best these playoffs.
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
Hold them to FGs instead of TDs. I think that's the biggest key on defense. It's not realistic to expect to stop them with any consistency, but I'll gladly be wrong on that. Offensively, score TDs instead of FGs. Winning the turnover battle always helps also.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 06:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Burrow wasn't sacked 9 times the last time we played the Chiefs.  This is a completely different game and completely different defense.

I don't want to waste plays against a team like KC - you can't.  The running game has been bad recently and we can't afford to sacrifice early downs and end up in 3rd and long.

Give me some short screens, slants, jet sweeps.  We don't need to rest Burrow, the only shot we have is he has a huge game.

agreed.

open up the passing game, then run mixon. if the running game gets going keep with it, but lets not fool ourselves...we are a passing offense at this point. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:13 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Hold them to FGs instead of TDs.  I think that's the biggest key on defense.  It's not realistic to expect to stop them with any consistency, but I'll gladly be wrong on that.  Offensively, score TDs instead of FGs.  Winning the turnover battle always helps also.

That's always big but especially against KC since they are so high powered and don't miss many opportunities.

I think we need to use CJ, especially in the red zone because we need to make their defense respect the middle of the field and not focus all their energy on our  receivers.

If Mathieu is out, and even if he plays, I think that's important because they won't be full strength at safety, so take advantage up the seams.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That's always big but especially against KC since they are so high powered and don't miss many opportunities.

I think we need to use CJ, especially in the red zone because we need to make their defense respect the middle of the field and not focus all their energy on our  receivers.

If Mathieu is out, and even if he plays, I think that's important because they won't be full strength at safety, so take advantage up the seams.

is Mathieu hurt currently? 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 11:10 PM)magikod Wrote: is Mathieu hurt currently? 

In concussion protocol.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 06:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: 1. First off, we need to establish Mixon.

That's my biggest fear and has been under Taylor: he'll get too cute and won't do what's working to win.

These statements contradict each other.

Joe Mixon had 6 carries for 5 yards in the first half of the Titans game.... yet you want to establish Mixon, while worrying Taylor won't do what's working to win.

So do you want what's working to win (have Burrow throw it) or do you want to try to establish Mixon? Because you can't do both.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
OP is written like a compilation of generic football cliches. In today's football, you can establish the pass to open up the run game. A prior (infinitely better) post explained in detail why the middle of the field should be left open. Pressure the QB without letting him run for first downs while taking away his primary weapons and outlet passes? Why not just say get a sack/tfl/interception on most downs? Do you think Lou is a magician?

Mix in some blitzes? Limit big plays? Now you've changed my mind - get this guy on the coaching staff!
Reply/Quote