Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Early Myles Murphy Panic
I wasn't all that bothered by his performance (or lack thereof) in the pre-season debut.

But finding out he's been less than impressive in camp is concerning.

If he can't make any noise against our 2nd string OL in a practice setting, that's not good.

I am not panicking - not calling him a bust. But he's not in the 8 man rotation and likely would be inactive if a real game was coming this weekend.

He'd better show some goods against the Falcons or these whispers will become roars.

(Bengals/Tigers "roar," so that's a clever thing I did up there ^^^)

Paul Dehner article about MM:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/myles-murphy-slow-start-bengals-031505806.html
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yelp, there's no need to freak out just yet. Panic

Lets see what happens vs. Atlanta
Reply/Quote
I just checked my Draft chat I have with a few of my friends, and my exact comment when we drafted Murphy was, "Eh....I don't really like that pick, but pass rushers are a premium draft position I guess...." followed by "I am concerned that his pass rush win rate was so low and that he never seemed to be dominant in college, despite having all the talent in the world. It's not a one to one from college to the NFL, but production in college helps when projecting a prospect's chances of success in the NFL."

My opinion has not changed.

There were multiple players I would have preferred we take, including some pass rushers that I felt would add more to this team, but the Bengals have a type when it comes to DEs. Expecting them to take Derick Hall or Nolan Smith may have always been unrealistic.

This was the first 1st round pick under Zac Taylor that had me scratching my head because it felt like they were just picking the falling prospect (who, for all we know, fell for a good reason), and I don't love that.

I wouldn't say I'm "panicked" because I kind of figured he wouldn't be very productive in his rookie year (and, if I'm completely honest, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he just outright busts), but hope springs eternal. We have some good pass rushers on this team, so if he doesn't work out, his snaps will be taken by competent players.

It is what it is. Luckily, we got what seems to be a steal in the 2nd round with DJ Turner.
Reply/Quote
We will see, MM certainly needs to work on his pass rush and not getting washed out of plays. Needs to play to his strength,
which is, his strength. He is not a speed rusher so going too far to the outside just helps out the Tackle. But if he goes to the
inside and uses his strength to get to the QB he could be a good one. Yes, we will see if he looks better this next game.
Reply/Quote
Next logical thing for him to do if he can't start winning on the edge is to kick inside.

Reply/Quote
He's been in the NFL all of a couple of months. Let's let him learn something
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 01:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's been in the NFL all of a couple of months. Let's let him learn something

With our draft and overall team history, along with college players supposed to be being more NFL ready than ever, I'm naturally worried, but hopefully he'll get the hang of it and our coaches will help him develop.
Reply/Quote
The panic button was in reach already since it's been pretty quiet on the Murphy front during camp and there was comments that he looked like JAG as Reader would say. Plus they buckled to Hendrickson's contract demand relatively quick which means they knew Murphy "would take awhile" to develop if ever.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t take that as a knock on Murphy. More so a compliment to our depth. So the giant physical freak rookie first rounder who is the youngest guy on the team isn’t ahead of our veteran depth at DE who have impressed in the past and are only entering year 3 (Ossai and Sample).

I take it as we are developing guys in to quality players. And our DL is deep
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 01:40 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I wouldn’t take that as a knock on Murphy. More so a compliment to our depth. So the giant physical freak rookie first rounder who is the youngest guy on the team isn’t ahead of our veteran depth at DE who have impressed in the past and are only entering year 3 (Ossai and Sample).

I take it as we are developing guys in to quality players. And our DL is deep

I'm sorry sir, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. Rational opinions are not welcome here. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 12:37 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I wasn't all that bothered by his performance (or lack thereof) in the pre-season debut.

But finding out he's been less than impressive in camp is concerning.

If he can't make any noise against our 2nd string OL in a practice setting, that's not good.

I am not panicking - not calling him a bust. But he's not in the 8 man rotation and likely would be inactive if a real game was coming this weekend.

He'd better show some goods against the Falcons or these whispers will become roars.

(Bengals/Tigers "roar," so that's a clever thing I did up there ^^^)

Paul Dehner article about MM:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/myles-murphy-slow-start-bengals-031505806.html

If Murphy was someone who was ready to be an immediate contributor out of the gate with his size and athleticism, he'd have gone earlier than he did in the draft.
He fell because teams likely knew/assumed he was going to need some time to develop.

Bengals went into the draft having their starters and main contributors set. Murphy, Turner, and the rest of the draft picks are really just initially depth rotational pieces and picked for the future.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
On a positive note no matter what with Murphy, the rest of the class has shined and in a year or two that will outweigh any possible disappointment in Murphy if he doesn't develop.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'm not not overreacting yet but I'm also not expecting much out of him anytime soon. Murphy is an elite athlete (97.1 RAS) but had one the worst pass win rates of all Edges in the draft. He was a "man among boys" and still could barely win in college. He basically only has 1 pass-rush move and that won't work in the NFL. It will take a lot of Marion Hobby coaching him up plus mentoring from Hubbard/Trey/Ossai. The good news is he is very young, seems coachable, has high motor, and you can't teach size/length. He will just take time and has a long way to go.
Reply/Quote
Give it time. Remember the scouting report on Murphy was that he has elite physical tools but BADLY needs to learn and refine techniques. While he learns he is still an effective strong side DE vs the run and can flip inside and out. Once he learns and the game slows down a little for him he'll play faster - right now he is being a bit hesitant probably due to all the new stuff he's absorbing.
Reply/Quote
It seems like he has all the measurables...but it mainly a project. The problem is, is that you don't take a project in round 1.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Keep the faith.
Reply/Quote
He will end up being a good player. He is just a notch below the elite twitch ones though. That's why he wasn't a top ten pick.
Reply/Quote
When the coaches were saying he was years away from contributing as a pass rusher i think ppl must’ve thought they were BS’ing.

That didn’t mean he’d look like a monster vs the 2nd/3rd string. It means exactly what was said. Dude probably won’t be upgraded to the pass rush role for at LEAST 2 years.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 01:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see, MM certainly needs to work on his pass rush and not getting washed out of plays. 

Exactly, with 2 trailer park girls going round the outside.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2023, 03:32 PM)Housh Wrote: When the coaches were saying he was years away from contributing as a pass rusher i think ppl must’ve thought they were BS’ing.

That didn’t mean he’d look like a monster vs the 2nd/3rd string. It means exactly what was said. Dude probably won’t be upgraded to the pass rush role for at LEAST 2 years.

I didn't see those quotes, or didn't catch them in the proper context.

If they took a guy in the first round they didn't expect to contribute for 2+ years, they need to have their foreheads decorated with pop-knots. 

The time is now - this is the window, and they could have improved a number of other areas with a pick much more ready to effectively contribute. 

Reply/Quote