Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Early kudos to the o-line
Sacks aren't showing up. Pressure is though. I'd like to see less pressures. Defense is getting a lot of penetration through the lines on run downs too.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 02:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes sir all things considered the Oline has done very well thus far. Pollack I'm quite sure has had a lot to do with that.

Not great yet still ok.

Dalton is helping a lot with quick decisions
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
As bad as some think Hart is does anyone really want to replace him with either Ogbuihi or Fisher? I certainly don't .
He's far from perfect , but a whole lot better than I initially thought he was going to be. I think the same way about Redmond as well . Can they do better? Absolutely yes, but could the situation on the right side be worse ? You bet your life it could be .I'd speculate that if we had Ogbuihi or Fisher playing those sack numbers would be considerably higher and I'm not sold on the notion that Westerman would be playing better than Redmond. Bottom line is that you either trust what Pollack is doing with them or you do  not . I trust his judgment over anyone posting negative comments about them. We pretty much already know how Pianoman would be doing with them. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 02:23 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Our offensive line is a lot better than last season but it's not as good as the stats suggest either. Hart flat out sucks and Redmond isn't far behind either.

This is flat-out wrong.  The rushing attack has been very good with both Mixon and Gio and that is due in large part to the improvements on the right side.  They couldn't get a friggin yard last year.  

Dalton is playing with confidence and the fact that even when giving up a "pressure", both Hart and Redmond STICK WITH THEIR BLOCKS (instead of going Ole! like last year's guys) and move them past Dalton.  

It isn't like they have gone against a bunch of stiffs on the outside.  The real test will be pitt.  I can't wait for that game.  Beat Miami, and end pitt's season in week 6.  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 02:30 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Not bad numbers! The o-line could be better, but a damn site better than the last couple of years. Agree I give Lazor the credit! Pollack too, but if Lazor hadn't insisted on changes to the o-line blocking, we might not of gotten Pollack.

While we are giving out credit:  Ross for pushing safeties back.  The TEs for being reliable targets.  Boyd for being a beast in the slot.  It all works together.  Dalton had none of that last year.  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 11:41 PM)McC Wrote: I think the line will continue to improve.  I think we'll get to the point that when you want to run, you can, even if the defense knows what's coming.   And the passing game speaks for itself.

One thing to remember is how changed the  line is from last year, both in personnel and performance.  And pretty much the whole preseason was spent shuffling guys around and not developing cohesiveness.   They have been doing this on the fly.  I think they are just getting started.

Absolutely.  The staggering thing to recognize is they are throwing up 30-burgers like it is nothing and they really haven't clicked with Ross yet.  They haven't had the huge game from Mixon yet.  Gio was awesome against Atlanta.  The screen game is just starting to click.  It has largely been the ability to run the ball when needed and getting decent, positive yards, putting Dalton in 2nd and 5 or 3rd and 2 instead of 2nd and 9, 3rd and 8 like a year ago.

As the offensive line gets healthy (Price) and continues to play together, they will continue to work on and improve their shortcomings.  Most importantly, thus far, is that they have kept Dalton relatively clean and he is playing very confident right now.  

Get even more cohesiveness out of the offensive line, get the rushing attack going (Walton, too!) and this offense will only get better.

Now, about that defense.... Mellow
Reply/Quote
I probably don't give the OL enough credit for their marked improvement from last season, but they definitely deserve it. Last year's OL was a serious problem, and it has taken a serious effort from the entire organization to begin the turnaround. If I have to give props to one man, above the rest, for taking on this problem, it has to be Bill Lazor.

Lazor recognized the problem of a strategic difference in philosophies with Paul Alexander's schemes and techniques, that just weren't going to work in Lazor's offensive game plan. It's taken tremendous effort on the part of the players, for buying into the changes in coaching and philosophy, and putting in the needed work for improving. I credit Marvin Lewis for allowing Lazor to have his say in the matter, and even the front office for allowing these changes in coaching and personnel to happen.

Sure, there's still a long way to go, before they achieve dominance. But the early returns are looking good so far.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 11:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I probably don't give the OL enough credit for their marked improvement from last season, but they definitely deserve it.  Last year's OL was a serious problem, and it has taken a serious effort from the entire organization to begin the turnaround.  If I have to give props to one man, above the rest, for taking on this problem, it has to be Bill Lazor.

Lazor recognized the problem of a strategic difference in philosophies with Paul Alexander's schemes and techniques, that just weren't going to work in Lazor's offensive game plan.  It's taken tremendous effort on the part of the players, for buying into the changes in coaching and philosophy, and putting in the needed work for improving.  I credit Marvin Lewis for allowing Lazor to have his say in the matter, and even the front office for allowing these changes in coaching and personnel to happen.

Sure, there's still a long way to go, before they achieve dominance.  But the early returns are looking good so far.

I agree. I'm pretty stoked with the changes thus far. We we're in a pit of agony for a long time and had the coaching changes not taken place, we would probably be 1-3 if not 0-4. The OL is not the best in the league by any means, but the improvement this year alone is a little staggering compared to last year. As the season progresses, they will play with more confidence and continue to grow together.

And what can we say about A.D? After last year, I feared he would be paranoid behind this line. Yet, the direction the coaching staff headed and the additions to support him kept his trust. Dude has been phenomenal at brushing off last year and heading into this one with a new perspective. These guys are currently 3-1 and have played some tough games. Even with Carolina, we were in it till the end.  They are only going to get better. That's very exciting.

Here's to hoping tomorrow night we hit the hey 4-1. I think the chances are in our favor and we are a better team. Winning tomorrow is really going to brighten the flame and confidence of this entire team. 

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 04:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm one of those Noles backers.....he wasn't very good, but then again, the whole line sucks anymore in Tallahassee these days.  Hope Taggart can turn that around.

Hart is looking better, so props to him and the coaches.....I'd still like a better RT, but at least it's not like Ole`-hi and Fish out there.

Yeah, you and Yojimbo. Happy Hart is making strides under Pollack but i agree. Still want an early pick for RT and 
RG in the next Draft to really complete the Line. Think Hopkins, Hart, Redmond and Westerman would make for
great backups but i just want that elite Line like Pollack had going in Dallas.

(10-05-2018, 06:12 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think there are a couple of reasons for being so low in the running department. One, Mixon is out so our bellcow is gone. Obviously affects the game plan.

And two, one of my only gripes (likely the only currently) about Lazor is that he seems to go away from the run quite easily. He leans more pass heavy, and it show. Andy is on pace to have 616 attempts, and currently has the 9th most attempts.

Also had to play from behind the last two games making us throw more...

Nice post KG. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 01:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree. I'm pretty stoked with the changes thus far. We we're in a pit of agony for a long time and had the coaching changes not taken place, we would probably be 1-3 if not 0-4. The OL is not the best in the league by any means, but the improvement this year alone is a little staggering compared to last year. As the season progresses, they will play with more confidence and continue to grow together.

And what can we say about A.D? After last year, I feared he would be paranoid behind this line. Yet, the direction the coaching staff headed and the additions to support him kept his trust. Dude has been phenomenal at brushing off last year and heading into this one with a new perspective. These guys are currently 3-1 and have played some tough games. Even with Carolina, we were in it till the end.  They are only going to get better. That's very exciting.

Here's to hoping tomorrow night we hit the hey 4-1. I think the chances are in our favor and we are a better team. Winning tomorrow is really going to brighten the flame and confidence of this entire team. 

3-1 record with 6 of the next 8 at home. We have to be thrilled with where we're at.

Not to mention we're getting Burfict and Mixon back, with Price and Gio back within a few weeks.

We're even catching the Dolphins without Cameron Wake and the Steelers without Bell.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 06:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 3-1 record with 6 of the next 8 at home. We have to be thrilled with where we're at.

Not to mention we're getting Burfict and Mixon back, with Price and Gio back within a few weeks.

We're even catching the Dolphins without Cameron Wake and the Steelers without Bell.

Things are certainly lining up in our favor thus far. I wouldn't quite say we're in the drivers seat right now but we're riding shotgun.

We really need to take advantage of this run of home games.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 06:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 3-1 record with 6 of the next 8 at home. We have to be thrilled with where we're at.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 07:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Things are certainly lining up in our favor thus far. I wouldn't quite say we're in the drivers seat right now but we're riding shotgun.

And it's a well known fact that the Bengals can't stand prosperity, so they need to take advantage of their position for once. 

That's my number 1 concern. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Yeah, i thought we would be 2-2 right now and i thought we would win 12 games...

(10-06-2018, 07:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Things are certainly lining up in our favor thus far. I wouldn't quite say we're in the drivers seat right now but we're riding shotgun.

Yep, take advantage and step on these team's throats.

(10-06-2018, 07:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

That hurts a little bit but the beer makes it all good lol

(10-07-2018, 11:49 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And it's a well known fact that the Bengals can't stand prosperity, so they need to take advantage of their position for once. 

That's my number 1 concern. 

True, we will see but it seems different lets see how we handle a fellow 3-1 team today while we start this stretch. :andy:
Reply/Quote
Based on the first half of the Miami game much of this so called good Will is gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
The OL was atrocious today. But the defense overcame a bad start to finally rule the LOS and get two defensive TDS and Andy, AJ and Mixon basically pulled ten points out of their rectums to overcome the bad line play.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 05:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: The OL was atrocious today. But the defense overcame a bad start to finally rule the LOS and get two defensive TDS and Andy, AJ and Mixon basically pulled ten points out of their rectums to overcome the bad line play.

Not to mention that Matt Burke is the Miami DC and knows how to attack our offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 05:49 PM)Beaker Wrote: Not to mention that Matt Burke is the Miami DC and knows how to attack our offense.

Doubt it since there has been 2 different offensive coordinators since Burke left for Miami in 2016.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 05:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: The OL was atrocious today. But the defense overcame a bad start to finally rule the LOS and get two defensive TDS and Andy, AJ and Mixon basically pulled ten points out of their rectums to overcome the bad line play.

How many sacks and pressures did we give up Joelist?

Sounds like we need Price back badly.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 05:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Doubt it since there has been 2 different offensive coordinators since Burke left for Miami in 2016.
Don't doubt it. He was doing a great job disguising his fronts and bringing pressure from all angles.
Reply/Quote