Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Early kudos to the o-line
(10-07-2018, 06:03 PM)Beaker Wrote: Don't doubt it. He was doing a great job disguising his fronts and bringing pressure from all angles.

Not because he KNEW the offense like you pointed too. Matt Burke was PGs protégé. Guenther also liked zone blitzes between the 40s.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 05:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How many sacks and pressures did we give up Joelist?

Sounds like we need Price back badly.

There was pressure on almost every drop back and 3 sacks (I think). Also we could not run inside or outside consistently. No ability to convert short yardage on the ground limits an offense. 
Reply/Quote
While this line is better than the last couple of seasons, there's a long way to go. I'm hoping this season doesn't prevent the team from further addressing the OLine going forward. Winning in spite of poor line play doesn't mean the team should accept that.

While some seem more concerned with finding our next QB, I think the first 4 rounds should be spent finding OLine upgrades. I'm not saying every pick, but at least 2.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 06:12 PM)Joelist Wrote: There was pressure on almost every drop back and 3 sacks (I think). Also we could not run inside or outside consistently. No ability to convert short yardage on the ground limits an offense. 

2 sacks but I still agree.  There is almost always pressure and Andy has to make quick throws or roll out almost all the time.  Andy very often has little time to sit back and read the field. Most often he has just a few seconds to pass the ball.  The o-line while better than last year is still a bit deceiving because the Bengals are most often going with quick pass plays and roll outs.  Andy rarely has time to read the field.

That said the Bengals are smart and scheming for that weakness. But let's not confuse that with the o-line being leaps and bounds over last year. They started doing the same thing last season when Lazor took over and why the season wasn't a total dumpster fire. Is the o-line better than last year? Sure but they are not going to be named one of the top 16 o-lines of 2018 anytime soon.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
One game doesn't change the overall point of the thread, and even in a bad game, we averaged 4.0 YPC and gave up 2 sacks.

That would've been a "good" game last year. I realize we still need to improve, but we've still come a long way.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 06:12 PM)Joelist Wrote: There was pressure on almost every drop back and 3 sacks (I think). Also we could not run inside or outside consistently. No ability to convert short yardage on the ground limits an offense. 

Horrible day for the O-line.  Got their A$$ beat almost every play today.
Reply/Quote
Cordy Glenn is bordering on being a disappointment for me. Sure, he’s better than Og, but that’s an extremely low bar. I thought it was just the right side that was still the weak link, but I don’t think Glenn has been all that good either. Don’t notice Boling much which is always a good thing for an olineman. Hopkins has been serviceable, but I’m definitely ready to see Price back in there. I feel like a few of Mixon’s best runs today where when he bounced to the outside and not necessarily the line opening much up.

Reply/Quote
The Pollack ridiculousness has finally died down a bit. Coaches do matter but talent trumps coaching. You have to have talent, you can’t polish a turd.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 08:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: One game doesn't change the overall point of the thread, and even in a bad game, we averaged 4.0 YPC and gave up 2 sacks.

That would've been a "good" game last year. I realize we still need to improve, but we've still come a long way.

Bengals were averaging under 2 YPC most of the game.  Fortunately they came alive late.  Again, the o-line is somewhat better but I'd fell even better if they could play a complete game for all 4 quarters.  I'm getting tired of this hot and cold stuff.  It certainly won't get us to that coveted playoff win.  Sure it would have been a good game last year which isn't saying much, but is that kind of on and off performance good enough in the very competitive AFCN?   I doubt it. And yes the Browns defense will probably give us problems this year. So no guaranteed 2 AFCN wins there. So there's that as well.

Also lets not forget in this game 14 points came from defense, 6 from field goals and the offense only TD was a great pass from Andy while he was being tackled during one of many pressures. So I'm not so sold on significant improvement from the o-line. They have just adapted their play calling to adjust to almost constant pass pressure. It works, for now...

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 01:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, i thought we would be 2-2 right now and i thought we would win 12 games...

Yep, take advantage and step on these team's throats.

That hurts a little bit but the beer makes it all good lol

True, we will see but it seems different lets see how we handle a fellow 3-1 team today while we start this stretch. :andy:

It was another one of "those games" for a while but they pulled it together and got a huge win. 

I don't know what it is about the Dolphins but the games are usually ugly, low scoring and frustrating.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Sorry to piss on your negative vibes, but I have some stats to share with you.  In the 1st half, Mixon ran for 23 yds on 11 carries.  You're right, that's pretty damn pathetic.

In the 2nd half, he ran for 70 yds. on 11 carries.  Quite a difference, wouldn't you agree?

That OL must have gotten a "good talking to" at half time.  They came out in the 2nd half and were knocking some holes.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 09:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry to piss on your negative vibes, but I have some stats to share with you.  In the 1st half, Mixon ran for 23 yds on 11 carries.  You're right, that's pretty damn pathetic.

In the 2nd half, he ran for 70 yds. on 11 carries.  Quite a difference, wouldn't you agree?

That OL must have gotten a "good talking to" at half time.  They came out in the 2nd half and were knocking some holes.

But 41 of those 70 were on two carries. The other 9 carries netted 29 yards. That's better than the 2.2 YPC in the first half but still poor. You can even tell Lazor is seeing this because he did not trust our OL to be able to push forward for short yardage on more than one play and threw instead. 
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 11:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: But 41 of those 70 were on two carries. The other 9 carries netted 29 yards. That's better than the 2.2 YPC in the first half but still poor. You can even tell Lazor is seeing this because he did not trust our OL to be able to push forward for short yardage on more than one play and threw instead. 

He also had 3 catches for 22 yds and a TD.  Do you also want to not count the TD, because it was an 18 yd. catch, and disrupted the average?  

My point is, there were holes for him to gain 41 yds. on two runs, there were no gaping holes like that in the 1st half.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 06:11 PM)Synric Wrote: Not because he KNEW the offense like you pointed too. Matt Burke was PGs protégé. Guenther also liked zone blitzes between the 40s.

I believe Guenther not only was familiar with the players, but knew our offense too.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 08:46 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The Pollack ridiculousness has finally died down a bit. Coaches do matter but talent trumps coaching. You have to have talent, you can’t polish a turd.

Nothing ridiculous about it. The results this year have been much better than in years previous. Pollack and the schemes have something to do with that. Of course you need talent. Nobody ever said we could get by with scrubs, and unfortunately we still have at least a couple of them. Even with those scrubs, the scheme change has made an obvious difference. One game doesn't negate that. 

(10-07-2018, 08:47 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Bengals were averaging under 2 YPC most of the game.  Fortunately they came alive late.  Again, the o-line is somewhat better but I'd fell even better if they could play a complete game for all 4 quarters.  I'm getting tired of this hot and cold stuff.  It certainly won't get us to that coveted playoff win.  Sure it would have been a good game last year which isn't saying much, but is that kind of on and off performance good enough in the very competitive AFCN?   I doubt it.  And yes the Browns defense will probably give us problems this year.  So no guaranteed 2 AFCN wins there. So there's that as well.

Also lets not forget in this game 14 points came from defense, 6 from field goals and the offense only TD was a great pass from Andy while he was being tackled during one of many pressures.  So I'm not so sold on significant improvement from the o-line. They have just adapted their play calling to adjust to almost constant pass pressure.  It works, for now...

Fair questions and none of us will know until it happens. I do know the story of this line is still being written, and I'm not going to throw in the towel on them over one game. Mind you Price has been out the last few weeks and he was supposed to be a key part of this line. He'll be back soon. 

Do I think they'll be dominant this year? Probably not, but I also expect better than what I saw today. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Early kudos goes to AD IMO. He's balling out, even with a slightly better line. I am all-aboard the AD train (again lol)
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote