Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easiest Thing to Fix
What in your opinion would be the easiest thing to fix for this team?

To me, it has to be the hands. We are having dropped balls on offense AND defense. These guys need to put in extra tip drills and catching drills.

If some of those picks go our way, we make some of those catches, last night is a much closer game.
Reply/Quote
The drops on both sides of the ball are definitely killing us. For the defense, it keeps them on the field and the longer they're on the field is bad news for everyone. On offense, it's killing drives. Still way too many 3 and outs. I often wonder what the league officially considers a drop. There were a few last night, but someone is going to come in here with the official stat sheet that will say there was only 1 or something crazy like that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 09:52 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: What in your opinion would be the easiest thing to fix for this team?

To me, it has to be the hands. We are having dropped balls on offense AND defense. These guys need to put in extra tip drills and catching drills.

If some of those picks go our way, we make some of those catches, last night is a much closer game.

A new set of balls....seriously, what this team needs more than anything is an attitude.  So damn passive.

And attitudes don't cost money.  

You guys think Forrest Gregg or Sam Wyche would put up with that kind of lazy attitude?  Nothing will change until a new coach sets a new standard. 
Reply/Quote
New ownership. Get someone to buy this team and hold the coaching accountable. KC has one of the worst defenses and we only eeked out 10 points. There’s no excuse for that.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: A new set of balls....seriously, what this team needs more than anything is an attitude.  So damn passive.

You guys think Forrest Gregg or Sam Wyche would put up with that kind of lazy attitude?  Nothing will change until a new coach sets a new standard. 

I agree wholeheartedly with you, but that seems like the hardest thing to fix lol  Smirk

(at least with this bunch)
Reply/Quote
Tackling technique!
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: A new set of balls....seriously, what this team needs more than anything is an attitude.  So damn passive.

Exactly correct! Last nights game was a perfect example! From the 1st play you could tell who came to play and who didn't. KC's defense has been horrible like us and they made a change to their scheme to go more man and be aggressive up front. Not us, we stayed the tried and true way we have done all year....... Forrest Gregg, half of these guys wouldn't play for him. 
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 11:38 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Tackling technique!

What is that.....says our Defense
Reply/Quote
It's gotta be tackling. So many potential 1 yard losses or 1 yard gains that are ripped into huge chunks on this defense.
Reply/Quote
Easiest thing to fix would be CUSTOMIZED SCHEMING for each game. We seemed to be one dimensional yesterday. ANDY to AJ in passing and ANDY to MIXON. UZ and Boyd had very few plays worth much. When we struggle, Andy tends to go to his most reliable player which is AJ, which is natural but little by little their D will capitalize on it as the game progresses because Andy will keep his eyes on him sometimes from the start of the snap. Can't win a game with AJ alone. Gotta scheme to take advantage of the opponents weakness.
Reply/Quote
'Hands' is not a main reason the Bengals got smashed yet again on Sunday Night Football.

On defense easiest possible fix is to fire Austin today, and promote Haslett to DC. Or another D coach that might have promise.

On offense, even though Lazor called a crap game and Andy couldn't overcome the coaching, not much can be done at this point.

Otherwise not much can be done.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 12:05 PM)Millhouse Wrote: 'Hands' is not a main reason the Bengals got smashed yet again on Sunday Night Football.

On defense easiest possible fix is to fire Austin today, and promote Haslett to DC. Or another D coach that might have promise.

On offense, even though Lazor called a crap game and Andy couldn't overcome the coaching, not much can be done at this point.

Otherwise not much can be done.

I will admit, I wasn't overly thrilled with the play calling from Lazor lastnight. He's had a good scheme all year and last night was just a head scratcher for sure.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 11:57 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Easiest thing to fix would be CUSTOMIZED SCHEMING for each game.  We seemed to be one dimensional yesterday. ANDY to AJ in passing and ANDY to MIXON.  UZ and Boyd had very few plays worth much.   When we struggle, Andy tends to go to his most reliable player which is Andy, which is natural but little by little their D will capitalize on it as the game progresses because Andy will keep his eyes on him sometimes from the start of the snanp. Can't win a game with AJ alone. Gotta scheme to take advantage of the opponents weakness.

That would require the famed coach in NE to do that for us! 

Love this post though, cause it's true. We seemed so unbelievably one dimensional last night.. it felt like a different team I was watching. Andy seemed to just stare down receivers the whole time. I thought we'd at least try to run more at the start, we only have one of the most promising young backs in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I'm not sure what Lazor was thinking last night, but everyone is allowed an off game here and there, and otherwise, he's been pretty good this season. For one thing, I think defenses are catching up to what he has been doing to mask the oline play. When you can get pressure with 4 or 5 folks in the box.....and stop the run with them.....it makes you pretty easy to defend. Which is what we saw last night. Also, John Ross needs to get his ***** ass in gear and make some damn plays.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Bring in my local High School team for some in depth one on one's with the Bengals D on tackling. And hope the Bengals D pays attention.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 01:04 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yeah, I'm not sure what Lazor was thinking last night, but everyone is allowed an off game here and there, and otherwise, he's been pretty good this season. For one thing, I think defenses are catching up to what he has been doing to mask the oline play. When you can get pressure with 4 or 5 folks in the box.....and stop the run with them.....it makes you pretty easy to defend. Which is what we saw last night. Also, John Ross needs to get his ***** ass in gear and make some damn plays.

I think Lazor has called 2 pretty poor games in a row honestly. Joe Mixon having 13 carries and 11 carries is inexcusable. He’s made the offense way too one dimensional. Now that Boyd has come back down to earth it’s AJ or nothing.

Reply/Quote
The Head Coach
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 11:57 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Easiest thing to fix would be CUSTOMIZED SCHEMING for each game.  We seemed to be one dimensional yesterday. ANDY to AJ in passing and ANDY to MIXON.  UZ and Boyd had very few plays worth much.   When we struggle, Andy tends to go to his most reliable player which is Andy, which is natural but little by little their D will capitalize on it as the game progresses because Andy will keep his eyes on him sometimes from the start of the snanp. Can't win a game with AJ alone. Gotta scheme to take advantage of the opponents weakness.

Agreed,

But that requires a level of coaching we just don't have.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 01:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think Lazor has called 2 pretty poor games in a row honestly. Joe Mixon having 13 carries and 11 carries is inexcusable. He’s made the offense way too one dimensional. Now that Boyd has come back down to earth it’s AJ or nothing.

Definitely thought we should have ran more last night. We really miss Gio and lastnight Walton just looked lost when he spelled Mixon
Reply/Quote
Will touch on a few points mentioned in this thread. Tackling is real bad. The tackling has been declining rapidly from the way they looked when we started this year. Also, dropped balls on both sides have been ridiculous. I just cant get over how bad this has gotten as well. AJ has dropped some pretty easy passes the last few games. Boyd is solid, but for some reason they are not using him like they did in the first 4 games.

One other thing I missed last night was heart. Man, these guys looked lost, unmotivated and downright undisciplined. Plus, I don't understand where our team went that came out so hot out of the gate? I don't think it's all Marvin, although he does play a big part in their preparation. The entire team needs to own this and look in the mirror and try to resurrect themselves. They need a fire in their belly. Last night I didn't even see a spark. WTS, this team is far from done. They have a lot of work to do but each player needs to respond by fixing themselves first. I don't think these guys are garbage like some of said. But they have to dig deep down and play with some fire.

Reply/Quote