Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eat Shit Amazon?
(11-16-2018, 08:41 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Or they recognize people are free to do what they want, and right now they choose to buy a lot from Amazon because Amazon does it better than anyone else. But it’s nice that your new philosophy defines everyone and their motives.

That doesn't have much to do with a monopoly, though.

And it's tricky with Amazon. They're only 5% of US retails sales, but I've seen other numbers that have them at half of all US e-commerce sales. And their diversity makes that a pretty big weight to throw around. And you've got instances where they're using their size to purchase companies like Quidsi... and then shutting that company down and laying off employees.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-16-2018, 01:23 PM)Benton Wrote: That doesn't have much to do with a monopoly, though.

And it's tricky with Amazon. They're only 5% of US retails sales, but I've seen other numbers that have them at half of all US e-commerce sales. And their diversity makes that a pretty big weight to throw around. And you've got instances where they're using their size to purchase companies like Quidsi... and then shutting that company down and laying off employees.

It does if you want to do something to break them up.  If Amazon wants to buy  up Wal-mart, Target and the likes then that's a different matter.  Right now they are just better.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-16-2018, 02:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It does if you want to do something to break them up.  If Amazon wants to buy  up Wal-mart, Target and the likes then that's a different matter.  Right now they are just better.  

This is where I am at. Walmart, Target, etc all have their own eCommerce sites as well and the fact they don't do it as well as Amazon is no reason to go after Amazon. Really Amazon is a logistics company being able to offer same day delivery on items to people's homes. You don't want to stifle innovation because other people lack vision and ability to execute. 
(11-16-2018, 02:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It does if you want to do something to break them up.  If Amazon wants to buy  up Wal-mart, Target and the likes then that's a different matter.  Right now they are just better.  

Having a handful of other big competitors isn't the same as making it difficult for other companies to compete, or just buying them outright.

You can go out and start up an online retailer; you can't go out and start up walmart.com. 
(11-16-2018, 10:18 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yes I don't think businesses that are better at it than the rest are monopolies.  This Christmas I'm sure I will buy some stuff from Amazon, but i'll also buy stuff at the mall.  I enjoy the mall at Christmas.  

I do too. But it kind of sucks now because this massive company made it to hard to compete and 75% of the shops in the mall are now closed. They have to pay rent in the mall so stuff is a little more expensive. Kind of hard to compete with the guy getting tax payer funded helipads and massive tax cuts. 

I guess the union guys at ups and people at the USPS better enjoy it while they can. They make a decent living now. But not for long. Bezos has his own fleet in the works
I got locked out of my Amazon account because I couldn't verify the expiration date and security code on a pre-paid gift I used for an Amazon purchase 3 years ago. The card I have linked to automatically charge things to is my Discover - which has a special deal with Amazon where Discover pays 5% cash back on all Amazon purchases for the last 3 months of the year. Discover cash back can also be directly used to buy things off Amazon. They seem to really want me to keep buying off Jet.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]