Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eifert under contract for one more season
I'm fine with waiting to extend Eifert because he still has some time on his contract. There shouldn't be any rush, yet. My problem is with people who try to tear Eifert down and refuse to look at his career with some context. Eifert wasn't really able to show off his true potential til 2015.

He was a rookie in 2013 and rookie TE's usually have the biggest learning curve of any non-QB position. Just look at all the rookie TE's who fail to make any impact whatsoever. Eifert's 445 yards as a rookie were more impressive when you consider that he was a rookie and he wasn't getting as many snaps as the more experienced Gresham. So using Eifert's career snap % against him is silly when you look at things with a little context. We were slowly working in Eifert in '13, and obviously he was injured last year.

Eifert's 2015 numbers would've averaged out to 757 yards and 16 TDs had he played the entire season, and even though those are impressive numbers, the numbers don't tell the whole story. Anyone who watched our offense last year should've noticed the impact Eifert had on this offense. There is no comparison between '15 Eifert and '13 Marvin Jones. Even back then I always argued that Jones' season was a fluke. He had an Al Bundy-type game against the Jets (4 TDs). He disappeared a lot. Eifert was a consistent presence this year and constantly had to be accounted for. He's a beast at his position and he'd have even better numbers on a team with fewer weapons.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 11:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fine, take away those seasons for each of them, and you have...

Kelce: 139 catches / 1,737 yards / 10 TD
Eifert: 91 catches / 1,060 yards / 15 TD

Why is it so bad for someone to want to see Eifert do better at non-TD things

Isn't the primary goal on offense, to score the football?

This was Eifert's break out season, team would be wise to extend him sooner than later, in my opinion.  If the Bengals were to experience a serious shortage of WRs, you would likely see guys like Eifert and Bernard being used to move the ball downfield as receivers more often.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2016, 04:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm fine with waiting to extend Eifert because he still has some time on his contract. There shouldn't be any rush, yet. My problem is with people who try to tear Eifert down and refuse to look at his career with some context. Eifert wasn't really able to show off his true potential til 2015.

He was a rookie in 2013 and rookie TE's usually have the biggest learning curve of any non-QB position. Just look at all the rookie TE's who fail to make any impact whatsoever. Eifert's 445 yards as a rookie were more impressive when you consider that he was a rookie and he wasn't getting as many snaps as the more experienced Gresham. So using Eifert's career snap % against him is silly when you look at things with a little context. We were slowly working in Eifert in '13, and obviously he was injured last year.

Eifert's 2015 numbers would've averaged out to 757 yards and 16 TDs had he played the entire season, and even though those are impressive numbers, the numbers don't tell the whole story. Anyone who watched our offense last year should've noticed the impact Eifert had on this offense. There is no comparison between '15 Eifert and '13 Marvin Jones. Even back then I always argued that Jones' season was a fluke. He had an Al Bundy-type game against the Jets (4 TDs). He disappeared a lot. Eifert was a consistent presence this year and constantly had to be accounted for. He's a beast at his position and he'd have even better numbers on a team with fewer weapons.

No doubt. But i'd disagree, a bit, with the "better numbers on a team with fewer weapons". Even with the number of weapons the Bengals have, there's much room for improvement and he was still underutilized way too much this year.

Not that he wouldn't have better numbers...i just feel he can still have better numbers on this team and after this year, he should be even better next year after getting the #1 TE reps with Dalton.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2016, 04:51 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No doubt. But i'd disagree, a bit, with the "better numbers on a team with fewer weapons". Even with the number of weapons the Bengals have, there's much room for improvement and he was still underutilized way too much this year.

Not that he wouldn't have better numbers...i just feel he can still have better numbers on this team and after this year, he should be even better next year after getting the #1 TE reps with Dalton.

There's room for improvement, no doubt. I'm just saying that in 2015, Eifert was only targeted 74 times.

In a different offense with fewer weapons, he would've been targeted 100+ easy.

I think his role will probably increase some moving forward, but this team will always spread it around some as long as we have Green, MLJ, Gio, Sanu, etc.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We've essentially only seen Eifert play in 2 seasons. He made a major leap for sure, but you could also see some hands problems in some critical situations. But he also showed how clutch he could be. IE: Seattle diving catch and Pittsburgh playoff diving catch.

Think this year determines what kind of money he will get.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2016, 05:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There's room for improvement, no doubt. I'm just saying that in 2015, Eifert was only targeted 74 times.

In a different offense with fewer weapons, he would've been targeted 100+ easy.

I think his role will probably increase some moving forward, but this team will always spread it around some as long as we have Green, MLJ, Gio, Sanu, etc.

There was a route he ran vs a CB in one game, can't remember which one, that only AJ would have ran better. 
His route running is just so smooth. If we lose MLJ to FA, Eifert will see his targets outside of the redzone go up big time...and that's where the "yards per catch" gets to go up.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2016, 06:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: There was a route he ran vs a CB in one game, can't remember which one, that only AJ would have ran better. 
His route running is just so smooth. If we lose MLJ to FA, Eifert will see his targets outside of the redzone go up big time...and that's where the "yards per catch" gets to go up.

Not that his YPC was bad or anything (11.8 compared to 7.4 for Gresh in 2014), but yeah using the middle of the field would definitely get him some big plays to push that average up further. Considering that 25% of his catches were TDs, I'm surprised his YPC was as solid as it was.
Reply/Quote
I like Eifert and would love to see him franchised. To me, he is in the category of Gronk and key to our offense. However, the Bengals will need for him to pass a physical for long term commitment.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
It's tough to compare Kelce and Eifert. Eifert is far better, and here's why. Look at what Kelce had behind him? Maclin...for 1 year. That's it. He has been the #1/2 option since he has started. The Bengals spread the ball around so much and actually have the talent at the WR spot to warrant it. Eifert is never going to be an 80-90 catch guy. He just isn't. Comparing him and not paying him because of those numbers is foolish.

Give me 5 extra TD's over 25 catches any day.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2016, 08:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not that his YPC was bad or anything (11.8 compared to 7.4 for Gresh in 2014), but yeah using the middle of the field would definitely get him some big plays to push that average up further. Considering that 25% of his catches were TDs, I'm surprised his YPC was as solid as it was.

Given where he was targeted, in the red zone, his max yards were usually limited. 
If Jones is gone in 2016 then Eifert will see even more passes his way and his YPC will go up...

I just YPC because that seems to be the driving factor in this debate. 
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 10:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Make him play a full season healthy and productive before you drop that much money on a guy.

3 seasons...
28 starts / 94 catches / 1,097 yards / 15 TD

That's $8m/yr to a guy who is averaging 31 / 366 / 5 a year. They should see how 2016 goes and then see about paying Eifert He has a fourth year and then a 5th year option, so there shouldn't be any serious contract talks with him yet.

That might work if your competition is going to do the same thing.  Truth is, regardless of his injury history, other teams would sign him in a heartbeat because he's a difference maker on the filed.  For this reason you lock him up as soon as possible and hope the bad luck injury bug goes the other way for a change.  He's just too good to play games with.
Reply/Quote
If he has any type of success like he had this year, he will command top 3 money. So, we have to evaluate whether or not he is worth it. In my opinion, Cincy has had a lot of inconsistent TEs over the past 10 years. Tyler Eifert (whos intiallys are coincidentally TE) is worth top 3 money as far as I am concerned. I think him being healthy as the starter is what brought our offense from knocking on the door to being in the run as one of the top offenses this past season. Pay him what he wants, he elevates everyones game around him.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 10:49 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Phillie just gave Ertz 5 yr 42 mil 21 mil guaranteed

Chiefs just gave Kelce 5 yr 47 mil 20 mil guaranteed

Good reference.  He will clearly come in somewhere between those two. 

Kelce was one of those I really wanted, but there were character issues at college that I think scared off the Bengals.  That being said, he has developed in to a very capable TE and he would likely be ranked in the top  of NFL TEs, and I think Eifert would likely fall in that category as well.

Personally, I try to sign him to an extension next year.  He is a cornerstone of this offense and was what many of us thought of as the "missing piece".  You could see a huge difference when he was not on the field.

It was nice to see Kroft get more opportunities (and even Uzomah) at year's end.  The TE position could be set for some time.

My big wish (still) is a vertical threat WR.  He doesn't have to be 6'3", but someone like Tyler Lockett or the Brown kid from the Cardinals.  They need someone that scares the crap out of opposing defenses deep.  

One other pat on the back was my idea a while back to sign Ted Ginn Jr.  I know he was a huge bust for a 10th overall selection, but I liked his special teams and deep speed.  The Panthers got a steal and developed a plan to use his talents the right way.  He still drops a lot of balls, but makes some huge downfield plays.  
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 11:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fine, take away those seasons for each of them, and you have...

Kelce: 139 catches / 1,737 yards / 10 TD
Eifert: 91 catches / 1,060 yards / 15 TD

Why is it so bad for someone to want to see Eifert do better at non-TD things while trying to stay healthy in a full season's workload? I said the exact same thing about Marvin Jones after his 2013 season when he had 10 TD. Some people were jumping all over him as being amazing, and how the Bengals now had two #1 WR. He ended up following it up by missing the entire next season and basically being 2011 Jerome Simpson the year after that.

There's no reason to not hold off until we see more. If he tosses up 800-900+ yards and 10+ TDs in 2016, I will be first in line to call for Eifert to be paid.

The problem with just looking at the stats is that you fail to realize just how much synergy Eifert provides the offense.  Opposing defenses simply can't shut down him and Green at the same time.  Any time a team keyed on Eifert, Green killed them and vice versa.  

I love MLJ, Sanu, and even Burkhead (though his role was still very disappointingly limited) but none of them provide the threat of Eifert.  
Reply/Quote
There is a 100000000000000000000000% chance that the Bengals will exercise the 5th year option on Eifert. This thread is at least one year premature.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 09:47 PM)513312 Wrote: In 2017, he can be franchised, will be for around 10 Million.

I would look to sign him to an 4 year, 32 million dollar extension, with a 5th year option for 10 M. I would also make 16 MIllion of it guaranteed.

Thoughts?

1st round picks can also be given a 5th year option... so thats 2 years. Or since he missed a full year on IR he should be a RFA at the end of next season
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2016, 06:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: There was a route he ran vs a CB in one game, can't remember which one, that only AJ would have ran better. 

Eifert deeked Tramon Williams out of his jock on one of his tds in the first Cleveland game.  Gave a little dip to fake an inside move and then just blew past him.
Reply/Quote
This guy is a must pay player.

Night and day is what the offense looks like with and without him.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 12:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: 1st round picks can also be given a 5th year option... so thats 2 years.  Or since he missed a full year on IR he should be a RFA at the end of next season

Seriously? This again? He's not going to be an RFA.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 05:29 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Seriously? This again? He's not going to be an RFA.

as of right now he only has 2 accrued years...

I was wrong about marvin because dispite the fact he didnt play a down he was on the roster for about 6 weeks,.
Reply/Quote