Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Eiff Update
(09-15-2016, 12:46 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm just not sure how this can surprise anyone. If people did the math on the recovery time for this type of surgery they would have come up with him missing 4 weeks at the absolute minimum and that he could easily not return until November even if it all went in the normal.

But for some reason fans seem to think that he's some sort of "super healer" or something even though his history says otherwise.

There's a long ways from running at half speed to being able to block and cut and run a route at full speed and with contact.

The fact the Bengals didn't keep Eifert on PUP going into regular season gave too much hope to fans that he would be back within the first six games.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 10:31 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Calm down for God's sake. Not only will he back around week 5 or so, we have Ceej, who is just as big, faster and has good hands (maybe not as good as Eifert, but still good). Only thing we don't know at this point, is if Ceej can run the same routes as Eifert and if he can, can he run them as well as Eifert can?

Not worried at all in the slightest and neither should anyone else be.

Ceej needs to keep showing up and then there won't be any need to worry about TE. 

Maybe then Eifert will stop seeming like a porcelain doll and work to keep his ass on the field. <---a little over the top and dramatic, but i'm about done with all the missed games. Big Grin

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I like Kroft and the other backups for now. Let Eiffert heal completely and don't rush him back. Pro Bowl should be done away with IMO.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 10:08 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bengals pro bowl TE Tyler Eifert (ankle) said yesterday he's only running at half speed.  He won't play Sunday vs Pittsburgh and a source tells me it will likely "be a few weeks" before he's back.

- Bob Holaman ESPN

Boy, im telling you, this injury is going to linger. I can see him not coming back until after the bye.

Holtzman's latest update sounds a bit more promising:

'An update on Bengals TE Tyler Eifert (ankle): he told me today he's "a couple of weeks" away. He's still on the rehab field, but he said it's been a good week. He's also added 15 pounds of muscle and looks significantly bigger.'
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 01:50 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Holtzman's latest update sounds a bit more promising:

'An update on Bengals TE Tyler Eifert (ankle): he told me today he's "a couple of weeks" away. He's still on the rehab field, but he said it's been a good week. He's also added 15 pounds of muscle and looks significantly bigger.'

Should have added some muscle to his ankles... Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 02:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Should have added some muscle to his ankles... Ninja

All that new muscle must be from eating 'Tyler's Touchdown Crunch'  Big Grin 

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/football/bengals/breakfast-of-champions-tyler-eifert-releasing-tylers-touchdown-crunch-cereal
Reply/Quote
I hope to see him on the field in Dallas.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 10:31 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Calm down for God's sake. Not only will he back around week 5 or so, we have Ceej, who is just as big, faster and has good hands (maybe not as good as Eifert, but still good). Only thing we don't know at this point, is if Ceej can run the same routes as Eifert and if he can, can he run them as well as Eifert can?

There isn't a TE in the league who can run routes as well as Eifert Truck.

Love Uzomah though for sure, i think he could become Gronk like with his size and speed.
Reply/Quote
Eifert has a 5th year option at like 4.5 million, that will be picked up even if he only plays in 8 games this year

That being said, looking forward to 2018, using a franchise tag on him would be a dicey prop. It would be 10 mill for a year.

After the 2020 season, I fully expect this league and the CBA to strike and lose a full year. So, I would rather see the Bengals offer Eifert a 3 year deal for around 25 million, 10 to 15 guaranteed. Keeping him for 18, 19 and 20.

His contract would end when he would be 31 years old.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 01:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The fact the Bengals didn't keep Eifert on PUP going into regular season gave too much hope to fans that he would be back within the first six games.

Yeah, I posted in one of the 53 man roster prediction threads that I gave it a 60% chance the team would PUP him and a number of people seemed to be very surprised by that and were posted things like week 1 or 2, which I knew was poppycock.

I blame public school math. I question that they teach what the months are or how to add 4 months to the 28th of May and come up with the 28th of September (which converts to week 4 of the NFL season). Four months is the low end of the expected recovery time, but it can take an additional two months (that's 8 weeks longer for the math challenged), which puts us at week 12 of the NFL season.

His injury history can easily cost him in his next contract.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 11:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, I posted in one of the 53 man roster prediction threads that I gave it a 60% chance the team would PUP him and a number of people seemed to be very surprised by that and were posted things like week 1 or 2, which I knew was poppycock.

I blame public school math. I question that they teach what the months are or how to add 4 months to the 28th of May and come up with the 28th of September (which converts to week 4 of the NFL season). Four months is the low end of the expected recovery time, but it can take an additional two months (that's 8 weeks longer for the math challenged), which puts us at week 12 of the NFL season.

The news just keeps getting worse and worse. Oh well, hoping Uzomah and Kroft can help carry the load
and Eifert will be ready for the Playoff run for the Lombardi. Definately hurts him with his next contract but
might make it easier for us to keep him here.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 11:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, I posted in one of the 53 man roster prediction threads that I gave it a 60% chance the team would PUP him and a number of people seemed to be very surprised by that and were posted things like week 1 or 2, which I knew was poppycock.

You and others do realize if Eifert comes back even in week 6, the Bengals made the right move. 1 week is better than none. 2 weeks is much better than 1 week.

The only bad decision would be if he can't play until 7th game. Let's give it time, we have just played 1 game. Just thought I would add some more public school math into the equation.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
All seriousness, would it surprise anyone if he ends up missing the season? I would be less surprised by that then by him playing next week. I posted in another thread that he has missed 40% of the games he has been in the NFL. Think about that... it is an astounding number. The guy has a lot of talent, but literally spends almost as much time in the locker room as he does on the field.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 03:08 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: All seriousness, would it surprise anyone if he ends up missing the season?  I would be less surprised by that then by him playing next week.  I posted in another thread that he has missed 40% of the games he has been in the NFL.  Think about that... it is an astounding number.  The guy has a lot of talent, but literally spends almost as much time in the locker room as he does on the field.

I would be shocked if he missed the whole season.  The plan is for him to be back by the Dallas game at the latest ( I believe this was Hobson's reporting, not that I see him as anything more than the team hype man).  He has been hurt quite a bit, no doubt, but he has been rehabbing and running at half speed and cutting.  If literally there was no sighting of him on the practice fields at all, then I would call bs on the Bengals' claim that he is on his way back in a few weeks (how things transpired with Braham and Burfict).  He may or may not be there earlier than the timetable calls for, but missing the season would be shocking unless it's due to another injury after he comes back in a real game (or during a practice).
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 03:17 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I would be shocked if he missed the whole season.  The plan is for him to be back by the Dallas game at the latest ( I believe this was Hobson's reporting, not that I see him as anything more than the team hype man).  He has been hurt quite a bit, no doubt, but he has been rehabbing and running at half speed and cutting.  If literally there was no sighting of him on the practice fields at all, then I would call bs on the Bengals' claim that he is on his way back in a few weeks (how things transpired with Braham and Burfict).  He may or may not be there earlier than the timetable calls for, but missing the season would be shocking unless it's due to another injury after he comes back in a real game (or during a practice).

I am with MasterP, i would be shocked if Eifert missed the whole season. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 02:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: All that new muscle must be from eating 'Tyler's Touchdown Crunch'  Big Grin 

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/football/bengals/breakfast-of-champions-tyler-eifert-releasing-tylers-touchdown-crunch-cereal

It is the only ceral you must eat in a glass bowl

Gresh spoiled us. TEs miss a lot of time.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

You're right. You're absolutely right. It's just sickening we seem to lose our second best offensive threat way more often than we should. I overreacted there (alcohol may have been a factor), he's a pro bowl player when healthy.
Reply/Quote
Certainly would be a waste to rush him back.
Reply/Quote
Just a reminder... if he misses 6 games this year, he ties Bob Sanders for games missed at this point in their careers.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 11:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I blame public school math. I question that they teach what the months are or how to add 4 months to the 28th of May and come up with the 28th of September (which converts to week 4 of the NFL season). Four months is the low end of the expected recovery time, but it can take an additional two months (that's 8 weeks longer for the math challenged), which puts us at week 12 of the NFL season.

But that estimate was made based on guesses by doctors that did not know the details of the surgery.

When they first said he would miss the opener I figured he would miss 2 or 3 games.  Now they say he is a "few weeks away" I am guessing he will be back for game 5 (Oct 9 at Dal).  That is still 2 games quicker than we could have gotten him off of PUP.

I am really concerned by Eifert.  When he is healthy he is one of the best TEs in the league.  His numbers are a little lower than some other elite TEs because the Bengals had such good WRs, but Eifert is as skilled as any of the elite TEs.  But he is fragile.  Doesn't mean he is soft, just for some reason some players are more injury prone than others.
Reply/Quote