Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Election Results
Interesting night.

Democrats get the house and a bunch of governorships.  Republicans expand their lead in the Senate.

Mostly went the way the polls said with one or two outliers.

I'll catch up with the west coast in the am.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
About what I expected.

Tomorrow BOTH sides will claim victory.
How many Govs switched?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-07-2018, 02:03 AM)michaelsean Wrote: How many Govs switched?

My question is why do the Govs matter in the bigger picture. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Looks like Issie 1 that I made a thread about got crushed. Guess not everyone’s as progressive as I. I’m guessing they went for too much at once and I think the huge amount of fentanyl you could have and still be a misdemeanor scared a lot of people. And the possible sentence reductions of not just drug offenders but anyone not convicted of rape murder or child molestation. That leaves a lot of really bad crimes.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-07-2018, 02:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: My question is why do the Govs matter in the bigger picture. 

I’m guessing redistricting and maybe an indication of changing opinions. Like Dino now putting up continuous posts about how smart Kansans are. LOL

(11-07-2018, 02:30 AM)bfine32 Wrote: My question is why do the Govs matter in the bigger picture. 

First reason is because the people elected today will be in office in 2020, when the next census and subsequent redistricting occur.

Second, in those places where governors obstructed the implementation of Obamacare, a Dem win means people may find some healthcare relief.

Third, more range for lawsuits against the Trump administration.

Fourth, more liberal legislation at the local level.

Fifth more help for Dem candidates as 2020 approaches.
(11-07-2018, 02:03 AM)michaelsean Wrote: How many Govs switched?

Check this out. Interactive map.

https://www.270towin.com/2018-governor-election/
I’m guessing the real blue wave could be in 2 years. I’m assuming with so few Rep Senators up for re-election this year there will have to be a lot in 2020. Combine that with an insane anti-Trump turnout and they could get the trifecta.

Oh and GREAT NEWS...the president stuff should be starting up in about a year!

So Pelosi is saying she is going to investigate Trump, and one of the things she will do is subpoena his tax returns. I never understand what Congress' authority is there. Ignoring that he's President, can they pretty much do that to anyone?

(11-07-2018, 09:43 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So Pelosi is saying she is going to investigate Trump, and one of the things she will do is subpoena his tax returns.  I never understand what Congress' authority is there.  Ignoring that he's President, can they pretty much do that to anyone?

Yes. Can they punish you for failing to produce for a subpoena that is where it gets a bit trickier.
(11-07-2018, 09:43 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So Pelosi is saying she is going to investigate Trump, and one of the things she will do is subpoena his tax returns.  I never understand what Congress' authority is there.  Ignoring that he's President, can they pretty much do that to anyone?

Exit polls were 54-41....people didn't want these type of investigations. They are viewed as politically motivated.  I still think this type of stuff will happen though.  

(11-07-2018, 02:36 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m guessing redistricting and maybe an indication of changing opinions. Like Dino now putting up continuous posts about how smart Kansans are. LOL

Redistricting is a big part of it.  I saw two states that passed referendums to create independent committees to do the redistricting so in some cases it won't matter.

But yes, Kansas has a chance now.  A decade or so of failed policy is all it took to wake enough people up to who was causing all the problems there.  If you look at how Kansas was before the GOP took completely control and how they decimated the budget and infrastructure while trying to create a conservative uptopia.

As an aside on Kansas: Kobach was a big Trumpster...that one had to sting.  Although in Trump's month of constant campaigning and rallies I don't really know how often he went to KS to stump for him.

Seeing Walker go down too was a good thing.
So the Beto guy lost. I really hadn't heard much about him, but figured out he was becoming a big star so I read a little. It seems that he is brilliant at energizing people and raising money, but has no idea how to run a campaign. The stars were aligned and he kind of blew it. Cruz's campaign manager said a couple of days ago this is either the worst campaign I've ever run against or the most brilliant. He had twice as much money and was running against a guy who is not even liked in his own party. He didn't know how to spend all of that money, and he didn't know how to message to right leaning moderates. But Alyssa is good with it because now he can be Prez. LOL

(11-07-2018, 09:59 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Exit polls were 54-41....people didn't want these type of investigations.  They are viewed as politically motivated.  I still think this type of stuff will happen though.  

It's going to happen.  They don't have a choice.  Can you imagine the meltdown if they said we don't think investigating Trump is time well spent?  The base wants Trump to go down, or at least make the effort.

Southwest Ohio fought off the blue wave. They poured a ton of money into Pureval's campaign. I think he outspent Chabot 3 to 2 or something. He showed well in Hamilton County but got walloped in the other areas. Wenstrup was supposed to have someone who could give him a race for his money. It wasn't even close. I think he won by 15 or something. While I kept hearing how an upset was possible I noticed I never saw a single TV ad for either of them. I'm not saying there were none, but it was a pretty good indicator to me that this was never going to be a contest.

(11-07-2018, 10:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: It's going to happen.  They don't have a choice.  Can you imagine the meltdown if they said we don't think investigating Trump is time well spent?  The base wants Trump to go down, or at least make the effort.

Exactly.  It's like the GOP finally "getting rid of" the ACA.  They HAD to do it even if they really didn't want to.

Not saying that watching Trump explode once a day over "wasterful" investigations isn't going to be fun.

(I believe that my reaction is perfectly acceptable as I was told you don't have to support something as long as you get pleasure watching the other side go crazy over it.  Ninja  )

But the POTUS is already in front of any potential investigations:

I'm very encouraged by the national results. Our country always does better with a split Congress. One party control is for Communists and fascists. Also, the new influx of female congresswomen and senators is a great boon to our country.

Statewide, I am less encouraged by the results. With the possible exception of our senate race, which is still too close to call, and the rejection of Prop 305, it appears as if most of the voters here just went in and checked straight party line. The one very disturbing thing in all of this is the approval of Prop 306: a measure that requires all rules by our bi-partisan Clean Elections Commission to be reviewed by a governor-appointed regulatory council. This is an effort to subvert the will of the voters who approved the commission decades ago so that the controlling party can gerrymander districts.

Oh well. What comes around, goes around.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(11-07-2018, 10:38 AM)GMDino Wrote: Exactly.  It's like the GOP finally "getting rid of" the ACA.  They HAD to do it even if they really didn't want to.

Not saying that watching Trump explode once a day over "wasterful" investigations isn't going to be fun.

(I believe that my reaction is perfectly acceptable as I was told you don't have to support something as long as you get pleasure watching the other side go crazy over it.  Ninja  )

But the POTUS is already in front of any potential investigations:

Hell I'm going to be entertained over it.  

And yes the Republicans had the luxury of voting to get rid of ACA several dozen times knowing it wouldn't happen.

(11-07-2018, 10:28 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So the Beto guy lost.  I really hadn't heard much about him, but figured out he was becoming a big star so I read a little.  It seems that he is brilliant at energizing people and raising money, but has no idea how to run a campaign.  The stars were aligned and he kind of blew it.  Cruz's campaign manager said a couple of days ago this is either the worst campaign I've ever run against or the most brilliant.  He had twice as much money and was running against a guy who is not even liked in his own party.  He didn't know how to spend all of that money, and he didn't know how to message to right leaning moderates.  But Alyssa is good with it because now he can be Prez.  LOL

No idea how to run a campaign?

He traveled more, shook more hands, visited every county in the state, etc.  He was out there meeting with constituents.

And he outraised Cruz without any PAC money.

Texas is red...that's just the way it is.  That this guy came close and made the GOP sweat is interesting in and of itself.

That Cruz sold his soul to have Trump campaign FOR him after how the primaries went in 2016 says more about Cruz than the election does.