Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Elephant in the Room
(11-01-2021, 10:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That would be 3. No idea what game Rueben was watching. Hubbard looked like prime Dunlap out there batting balls down. He was one of the only highlights of a lousy defensive performance.

Thank you, I was starting to think I couldn't count.... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 05:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: What's interesting is he is top 5 in INT % but also #1 in TD% (tied with Stafford). Taking that one step further his 8.1% TD percentage is the highest since Mahomes's 2018 MVP year (8.6%), and pretty substantially at that. I think, and this will sound weird, that I am okay with the interceptions as long as he keeps the same TD%, where we get in trouble is when that TD% comes down to around league average and the INT% doesn't drop with it.

One interesting note, after the red zone int last week Burrow said he threw that ball because with our defense he trusts them and is willing to take more chances. It's an interesting thought that I am not opposed to, again because the payoff has come at an equally high rate but it's something to watch as the year goes on.

I bet Burrow doesn't trust the defense anymore...
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 10:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: More just something to keep an eye on at this point. If he finishes the season with 40+ TD’s and somewhere in the high teens in INT’s I think we’ll be talking about the first number more than the second.

I’m just not worried about it. Mainly because a few of them were off tipped balls, or right through a WR’s hands. Only a couple of them have been total head scratchers were he didn’t read the coverage correctly.

You may not be worried about them but I hope JB and the coaches are.

The guy is 21st in the NFL in passing attempts and now "2nd" in INTs; however, the guy currently in 1st is 3rd in the league in INTs.

Hell, his team is addressing them and he's been in 2 straight Super Bowls 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 10:57 PM)Tony Wrote: I bet Burrow doesn't trust the defense anymore...

Joe strikes me as the type dude that has total trust in all his team mates. 

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 10:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So that's a no? The INTs are not a problem. 

As in panicking like Brad said? No.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 10:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Somebody remind me how many batted passes Hubbard had Sunday?

It just baffles my mind...so many terrible, ill-informed takes around here. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Interceptions are always a problem but the 3rd and short issues are way higher on the list.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:21 PM)Synric Wrote: Interceptions are always a problem but the 3rd and short issues are way higher on the list.

That's all I'm saying but people who know way less about football than me want to make it personal and attack me......

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That's all I'm saying but people who know way less about football than me want to make it personal and attack me......

I like to break them down. Burrow is a young player so you see the bad decision INTs like the fading one to Chase vs the Ravens or the 3 level under pressure one vs Green Bay(?) Tip interceptions happen but he actually makes less BAD READ interceptions. To me that is the most important distinction.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:33 PM)Synric Wrote: I like to break them down. Burrow is a young player so you see the bad decision INTs like the fading one to Chase vs the Ravens or the 3 level under pressure one vs Green Bay(?) Tip interceptions happen but he actually makes less BAD READ interceptions. To me that is the most important distinction.

And that's why context is always more important than bottom line numbers. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Joe strikes me as the type dude that has total trust in all his team mates. 

Even Drew Sample? Ninja

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 11:21 PM)Synric Wrote: Interceptions are always a problem but the 3rd and short issues are way higher on the list.

The third and short issues are really tough. Those kind of conversions keep the clock bleeding and keep adding points to the board. They are just getting eaten alive when it comes down to brass tax. Last in the league at 27% when running the ball on a third and short.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 03:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: Is it time to panic over Burrow's 4th quarter interceptions? These are happening too frequently from a top tier qb.

He's got to get these interceptions under control.

No panic at the moment as we are not yet at halfway in the season , plus we are getting so much more positives out of his play right now.

However where i do get slightly nervous is towards end of the season and who knows a playoff game...anywhere where its a 'one and done' scenario.

In that situation a Baltimore INT where he is forcing it , which could completely end the season would be tough.   

Overall though on the list of things to worry about its pretty low down right now
Reply/Quote
Worth noting that Joe Burrow is actually being sacked at a higher rate in 2021 than he was in 2020. He's just throwing it less so they're not accumulating quite as much.

2020: Sacked on 7.3% of drop backs.
2021: Sacked on 7.5% of drop backs.

Even with the less pass attempt per game, he's still on pace for 42.5 sacks this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 07:12 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Worth noting that Joe Burrow is actually being sacked at a higher rate in 2021 than he was in 2020. He's just throwing it less so they're not accumulating quite as much.

2020: Sacked on 7.3% of drop backs.
2021: Sacked on 7.5% of drop backs.

Even with the less pass attempt per game, he's still on pace for 42.5 sacks this year.

This years numbers are highly skewed by 10 sacks in the first two weeks when it looked like Joe was unable/afraid to move in the pocket.
Reply/Quote
People discrediting his "tipped" interceptions need to remember that he also threw a ball right to a Viking defender that Boyd took away and turned into a reception.

But I am not too worried about the picks because his int% was so low last year (3rd in league). If he was throwing picks because he could not make reads it seems like he would have thrown a lot more last year.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 03:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: Is it time to panic over Burrow's 4th quarter interceptions? These are happening too frequently from a top tier qb.

Let's look at the big picture - I don't think scoring 31 points on a bad day is a cause for concern.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 10:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Everyone should like Burrow. 

Are Burrow's INTs a problem or not? 

I eeally like Burrow a lot as everyone does/should.

But, yes, his INTs are a problem. He needs to clean that up, and he likley will as he gets more experience. 

We all know about the INT late last week in his own territory. But, the one that bothers me most is when he threw an INT in the endzone vs Balt. At that point, it was early in the 4th qtr with Bengals up 10 points and in scoring range. Gotta either throw that away or something much safer to give Evan Mc a chance at 3 and adding some points.

Luckily, the Ratbirds turned it over on downs after that. But, that INT could've been a real killer and swung the game. 

Gotta clean that stuff up.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2021, 01:27 PM)Bengal Billy Wrote: I eeally like Burrow a lot as everyone does/should.

But, yes, his INTs are a problem. He needs to clean that up, and he likley will as he gets more experience. 

We all know about the INT late last week in his own territory. But, the one that bothers me most is when he threw an INT in the endzone vs Balt. At that point, it was early in the 4th qtr with Bengals up 10 points and in scoring range. Gotta either throw that away or something much safer to give Evan Mc a chance at 3 and adding some points.

Luckily, the Ratbirds turned it over on downs after that. But, that INT could've been a real killer and swung the game. 

Gotta clean that stuff up.

The overtime pick against the Packers  was pretty bad.
Reply/Quote

Burrow's weakness may be the Farve syndrome if it's not rectified. 

Trying and doing too much by himself.  Farve was great then became an INT guru, specially late in his career when the tried too hard to be the hero or try to live up to the expectation splashed on TV weekly.

Even in Minnesota, he took the Vikings to the playoffs but would shoot himself on the foot with INTs.. costing them  the division championship i think.. cant remember
Reply/Quote