Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Elephant in the room - run game
We had a total of 68 yards on 27 carries in the game for a 2.5 YPC average. But in the first half our starters had like 10 yards on 9 carries or something against the Bills 1st string.

I'm very concerned to put it mildly ! I don't pretend to have an answer but there's no way we're going to have a successful season averaging 2 yards a carry or something. Like Shake said in the game day thread we can survive with an ok run game but we're gonna get killed with a crappy one.

And right now we stink !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 10:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We had a total of 68 yards on 27 carries in the game for a 2.5 YPC average. But in the first half our starters had like 10 yards on 9 carries or something against the Bills 1st string.

I'm very concerned to put it mildly ! I don't pretend to have an answer but there's no way we're going to have a successful season averaging 2 yards a carry or something. Like Shake said in the game day thread we can survive with an ok run game but we're gonna get killed with a crappy one.

And right now we stink !

Yeah, as usual you know whats up bro.

I just think it will take a bit of time so the guys that were coached up by PA to really get to the nitty gritty and start
playing aggressive. Right now, the run blocking is not there, i like Glenn and Price but these other dudes need to get
it together. Thought Brian Hill once again was our best RB so far.
Reply/Quote
The pass blocking is aight though!

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 10:26 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The pass blocking is aight though!

yep overall it was decent to pretty dang good

we just can't move anybody running it
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 10:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, as usual you know whats up bro.

I just think it will take a bit of time so the guys that were coached up by PA to really get to the nitty gritty and start
playing aggressive. Right now, the run blocking is not there, i like Glenn and Price but these other dudes need to get
it together. Thought Brian Hill once again was our best RB so far.

Perhaps they'll get it ironed out ? I'm thinking we're gonna have an upper 1/3 D and an above average passing game. Special teams should be good enough.

It would be a shame for the total lack of any ability to run the ball to throw a monkey wrench in it.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what Alex Boone's situation is. Injury? Just bad? I feel like they should look at a band-aid vet on the back end for one of the right side spots. Get somebody who can hold it down until they manage to draft the RG/RT of the future. The guys on the roster now ain't gonna cut it.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 10:26 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The pass blocking is aight though!

(08-26-2018, 10:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: yep overall it was decent to pretty dang good

we just can't move anybody running it

Yes but you have to respect these RB's.

I believe it will come, i expected better tonight with our run blocking but hey, maybe i am too impatient as i always am.

I just keep praying. Mellow

Once these RB's get a hole it will go for big gains, like huge. Like Elephant style.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 10:35 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm not sure what Alex Boone's situation is.  Injury?  Just bad?  I feel like they should look at a band-aid vet on the back end for one of the right side spots.  Get somebody who can hold it down until they manage to draft the RG/RT of the future.  The guys on the roster now ain't gonna cut it.

There's bound to be a couple vets cut they should give it serious consideration.
Reply/Quote
Most of our run plays have seemed pretty basic like powers and sweeps. Hopefully they are saving some other run schemes; Traps, cut-backs and a few other surprises for the regular season.....hopefully.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 10:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Perhaps they'll get it ironed out ? I'm thinking we're gonna have an upper 1/3 D and an above average passing game. Special teams should be good enough.

It would be a shame for the total lack of any ability to run the ball to throw a monkey wrench in it.

Hope so, just is a matter of time from what i am seeing of the O-line.

RG and RT are still a problem which sucks. Just nice to see Dalton having a Center in front of him who can give him a
pocket. He has not really ever had this and that is a good D-line with good DT's, Price is doing his job already.

The Defense will be good, especially when we get Offenses in pass situations.

(08-26-2018, 10:35 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm not sure what Alex Boone's situation is.  Injury?  Just bad?  I feel like they should look at a band-aid vet on the back end for one of the right side spots.  Get somebody who can hold it down until they manage to draft the RG/RT of the future.  The guys on the roster now ain't gonna cut it.

Heard he lost tons of weight....

Like 50 pounds or something.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 10:42 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Most of our run plays have seemed pretty basic like powers and sweeps. Hopefully they are saving some other run schemes; Traps, cut-backs and a few other surprises for the regular season.....hopefully.

This is what i am thinking.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 10:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hope so, just is a matter of time from what i am seeing of the O-line.

RG and RT are still a problem which sucks. Just nice to see Dalton having a Center in front of him who can give him a
pocket. He has not really ever had this and that is a good D-line with good DT's, Price is doing his job already.

The Defense will be good, especially when we get Offenses in pass situations.

Heard he lost tons of weight....

Like 50 pounds or something.

Sounds like he's done with football.  

unrelated:  my brother has gotten to know Evan Mathis recently though buying/selling sports memorabilia.  Says he's down to 225-230.  Crazy.
Reply/Quote
To be fair outside of Dallas we score really damn fast. I think the opponents goal is to disrupt the backfield on every play because they can't cover all our weapons. Hence why no running lanes.

Yeah , I'm going with that for awhile.

Reply/Quote
Cut by 3 different teams doesn't exactly spark a lot of interest from coaching staffs. I seriously doubt the Bengals or any other team with a lousy offensive line is particularly interested in Boone at this point ..  
Uhh..cut by 2.. left SF as a  FA..  Likes to shoot off his yap apparently . 
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 10:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes but you have to respect these RB's.

I believe it will come, i expected better tonight with our run blocking but hey, maybe i am too impatient as i always am.

I just keep praying. Mellow

Once these RB's get a hole it will go for big gains, like huge. Like Elephant style.

Nate, as usual I have to agree about impatience because without a run game, how do you run out the clock in tight games?

Reply/Quote
Unfortunately it will probably take some time to get things right on the offensive line for things to gel properly. In the meantime we will have to rely on the defense to play great and for some big chunk plays on offense. I don't see us being a proficient offense this season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
With 2 safeties sitting deep on AJ and Ross, we should see plenty of 10+ yard gashes in the second half of games once the opposing defense gets worn down. Of course we haven't got to see that since our starters haven't played very long in to the 3rd quarter in the preseason.

Edit: Our running game was on point when we had AJ and Jones for deep threats, too.
Reply/Quote
I know some may laugh but OG looked better against the run than others. I didn't see whole game though. I think the team needs to grab a RG from teams when cut down arrives. I liked Hopkins at Center but I am not impressed with what I have seen from him at RG. Price is a rookie so it will take time.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
So we can't blame PA anymore? well....$hit.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 08:39 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: So we can't blame PA anymore? well....$hit.

Maybe his ketchup theory is legit. Attitude
Reply/Quote