Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elizabeth Blackburn Article
Fans last week: “we are a joke of a franchise, we have no ring of honor for our players.”

Elizabeth Blackburn: “I am working on ways to honor those players, they deserve it.”

Fan response: “I don’t actually care, just want wins.”
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 11:32 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Fans last week: “we are a joke of a franchise, we have no ring of honor for our players.”

Elizabeth Blackburn: “I am working on ways to honor those players, they deserve it.”

Some fans are still in the grief stage based on 2020 and the last few years. They stay there until either we sign someone in FA or until after the draft.

Many will switch gears and go from all out to all in leaving grief for optimism.  Cool
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
So the team is supposed to sit on their hands and do nothing until they start winning? Winning will cure a lot of ills...but as the team has discovered in the past won't fill Paul Brown Stadium. They aren't supposed to do anything to attempt to build new fans or younger fans just because the old guys don't like it? What Elizabeth is attempting to do, I assume with the blessing of her parents, is to rebuild a long-ignored stagnant marketing department into a modern and engaged one. It is a task made tougher by the challenges of the on-field performance of the team. The on-field performance does not negate the changes needed in this area. Fans have complained for years about the lack of proper marketing and publicity involvement by the team. They have complained about boring game-day experiences. They have complained about the separation of the team and community. We are seeing signs that these things are being addressed. Are these things designed to help the Brown's bottom line...of course it is....that is the role of marketing but no one seemed to care when it the team didn't worry about these things.

Oh, and if Elizabeth and her department are doing their jobs correctly, they are also monitoring this board as one of the most active fan forums. So Bengals Marketing and Fan Engagement Department....feel free to join in

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
If Elizabeth can influence her family in as many ways possible to improve all-things related to the franchise, good for her. I'm in favor of good things.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 11:32 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Fans last week: “we are a joke of a franchise, we have no ring of honor for our players.”

C'mon bro, you know that's not a fair way to describe fans gripes.

A Ring of Honor is usually included among a list of a number of things, and usually it's included towards the end.

You'll generally hear some combination of: haven't won a playoff game in 30 years. no GM, small scouting department, no practice facility, and somewhere in there you'll see "no Ring of Honor".

It's not as if we had won a few playoff games, and we had a GM, and we had a normal scouting department, and we had a practice facility that fans will be saying "we are a joke of franchise because we don't have a Ring of Honor".

You know this.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:40 PM)pally Wrote: So the team is supposed to sit on their hands and do nothing until they start winning? 

No, they should be doing the exact opposite.  They should actively be taking steps to ensure more wins.  Unfortuantely, they're not.

All of this other stuff is basic marketing and promotion, which is fine.  It's expected of any business.  But it sure would be nice if they weren't sitting on their hands in regards to front office changes, scouting department changes, coaching changes, and monetary investment into facilities and ammentities for their players. 

You know, all of the stuff that directly influences the product on the field.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 08:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: No, they should be doing the exact opposite.  They should actively be taking steps to ensure more wins.  Unfortuantely, they're not.

All of this other stuff is basic marketing and promotion, which is fine.  It's expected of any business.  But it sure would be nice if they weren't sitting on their hands in regards to front office changes, scouting department changes, coaching changes, and monetary investment into facilities and ammentities for their players. 

Seems they were pretty active in FA last year and have replaced a number of coaches this year. They fired Marvin Lewis and brought in a young offensive minded HC. They've improved the facilities. They are doing things. You just can't please all the people all the time and you can't please some of the people anytime.

IMO there are a number a threads to butch about the Bengals in this forum; I'd just rather not see it in threads pointing out a positive.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 02:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Before anyone gets too upset by what I'm about to write, let me say I'm sure Elizabeth  Blackburn is very talented and capable person.  

To be honest, I don't know enough, nor do I care (at all) about social media to really have an opinion on whether or not it's greatly improved.  For me, when it comes to businesses and social media it all seems way to forced and cringe.  I don't like companies that are trying sell me something pretending to be something they're not.  But as an older dude I know that I'm not really their demographic in who they're trying to engage.  I also know that social media is incredibly important in business today.  So I am not really faulting her approach or the job's she's doing.

Ok, with all that said, here comes the part I'm sure some will get pissed off about....

The Bengals have a product that has stuggled to sell tickets these last few years.  We all know this.  And you can pretty much guarantee that other sources of income have followed similar trends in sales. (Concessions, merchandise, cooperate sales, and probably even advertising)

What we're now seeing from the Bengals is a response to this, which is what you expect from any business.  If your product sales are suffering, or if you're losing customers, you have to counter that with something to create excitement and to improve sales.  Whether it's successful or not is another question, but the point is you have to try.

So that's exactly what we're seeing right now.  The new uniforms, the flashy younger social media, the ticket promos.  These are all attempts from a business (Yes, the Bengals are a business) to make more money.

There's nothing wrong with that, but I do roll my eyes a bit when I see things like "investing in the fans" or it's insinuated that they're doing this out of the kindness of their hearts.  They're investing in themselves, and they're trying to sell you a product.

Fwiw, I saw someone recently state they really appreciate the Bengals keeping their ticket prices so low.  As if they're doing this out of pure generosity.  The reason their ticket prices are where they're at is because someone determined that price point would result in the best combination of sales and margin, or more specifically profit.

If Paul Brown stadium was sold out every week, and tickets were impossible to come by, then they would charge more.  If they weren't struggling to fill up more than half their stadium you wouldn't see them "investing in the fans" by offering $10 food vouchers (Probably $3 in actually cost)

To each their own, but as it's been stated by others, I just want to see a winner.  Until then this entire thing, and the work of Elizabeth Blackburn is nothing more than a marketing stragegy.  And I care as much about the marketing strategy of the Bengals as I do Coke or McDonalds.

Being totally honest... I couldn't care less about Elizabeth Blackburn, nor her job, nor her qualifications.  None of this cool or impressive to me.  I don't need quirky twitter posts with emojis, and I don't need buzz words and slogans.  

Just my 2 cents...

As a fellow old dude I agree. I run a small shop from home, but what I sell doesn't really translate well to social media and if it does I'm not really into that stuff. It bores me to death. "Be excited because we told you to be." That doesn't hold much excitement for me..
You want me to be excited? Fine..Win more than half the games and quit being cellar dwellers and wannabe champions.  I don't be bengals merchandise any more than I'd buy a Kroger's check out clerks work shit with Fred, produce grifter! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 09:54 PM)grampahol Wrote: As a fellow old dude I agree. I run a small shop from home, but what I sell doesn't really translate well to social media and if it does I'm not really into that stuff. It bores me to death. "Be excited because we told you to be." That doesn't hold much excitement for me..
You want me to be excited? Fine..Win more than half the games and quit being cellar dwellers and wannabe champions.  I don't be bengals merchandise any more than I'd buy a Kroger's check out clerks work shit with Fred, produce grifter! 

Actually, woodworkers and furniture makers market quite well on social media, but that's a conversation for another thread.  Social media is just one small area where the team is making improvements.  Like it or not, most Americans view or participate in some form of social media.  If a member of the Bengals Management Team is making it her job to improve the Bengals' image to the public, so be it.  It's only a positive step in the right direction, one that can only lead to more modern thinking from the stodgy, old Brown family.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 08:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems they were pretty active in FA last year and have replaced a number of coaches this year. They fired Marvin Lewis and brought in a young offensive minded HC. They've improved the facilities. They are doing things. You just can't please all the people all the time and you can't please some of the people anytime.

IMO there are a number a threads to butch about the Bengals in this forum; I'd just rather not see it in threads pointing out a positive.

They fired Marvin Lewis is your go to move?

That’s hilarious.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 05:19 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: They fired Marvin Lewis is your go to move?

That’s hilarious.

Seems like I typed some more stuff than that
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
On one hand she is saying stuff that we wanted to see/hear and it is interesting. On the other hand, we just had yet another dismal season and yet another relative of Mike Brown is giving us yet another pep talk. I'd say it's a push.
Reply/Quote
I've been away from the site mostly for awhile, but all the BS from her article caught by eye.

All the PR in the world won't make a bad franchise into a good one. It won't turn a bad Head Coach into one who knows what he's doing. And it sure won't turn a string of bad front office decisions into a string of good ones.

I'm sure they have a high and mighty vision, but sadly their decisions and personnel choices don't match it. Sure Taylor talks the talk, but he's yet to take one single step in the walk and I challenge anyone to step up and point out exactly how Taylor qualifies for his job without making a bunch of excuses. I claim victory right now on that point because no one can point out these things because they don't exist in the real world.

Talk is cheap, meaningful and correct action is a whole other thing. I'm still waiting to see it. Where's this New Dey from two years ago? It's turned out to just another New Clusterfuk by this front office.

Reply/Quote
How serious are the Bengals about changing the culture and winning championships when they retain Lou Anarumo for another season? Seriously?
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 03:59 PM)GodFather Wrote: How serious are the Bengals about changing the culture and winning championships when they retain Lou Anarumo for another season? Seriously?

One has to think this is Anarumo's and Taylor's prove-it season. They'll be in their third year with the Bengals, which should be enough time to get the personnel and install their scheme successfully. Anarumo was likely given the injury excuse, as they had a few significant injuries on the defensive side.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 08:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: No, they should be doing the exact opposite.  They should actively be taking steps to ensure more wins.  Unfortuantely, they're not.

you don't think that growing a younger engaged fan base, a marketing dept that promotes star players doesn't help bring in free agents?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 06:15 PM)pally Wrote: you don't think that growing a younger engaged fan base, a marketing dept that promotes star players doesn't help bring in free agents?

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

But in case it isn't; No, I don't think Elizabeth Blackburn's recent efforts do much to affect our ability to land free agents we otherwise wouldn't have gotten prior to her arrival.
Reply/Quote
i said it before, but I'll say it again, the ring of honor is already 45 yrs, yes 45 years! since it was first introduced in the NFL. Let's create a cool unique way to honor our players in our stadiums, heck, even the NFL keeps snubbing our HOFs nominations.

Per google: The Ring of Honor was created by Tex Schramm and began on November 23, 1975, which was designated in Dallas as Bob Lilly Day. On that day, the team held the first Cowboys reunion and unveiled Lilly's name and jersey number (74) beneath the press box during half time.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 06:29 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

But in case it isn't; No, I don't think Elizabeth Blackburn's recent efforts do much to affect our ability to land free agents we otherwise wouldn't have gotten prior to her arrival.

Hopefully JJ Watt at least skimmed it before he decided to sign in  AZ.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I feel like Elizabeth Blackburn has injected a sort of youth, energy and optimism that was sorely needed in what was an otherwise stale and outdated front office and media department. I find it rather enjoyable.
Reply/Quote