Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Elliot struggled again today in the scrimmage
Well Elliott's first miss had the distance. Looks like 56-57 yarders are within his comfort zone though. Today clearly favored bullock but it's far from over.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Looks like Elliot struggled again today missing a FG and also an Extra Point.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/8/5/16101890/bengals-training-camp-2017-4-takeaways-family-day

Hopefully, he gets it together before the Pre-season starts.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 06:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know, I know...tin foil hat, but I swear I saw the special teams coach wink at him after that miss.  I honestly think they told him to miss it.  We wouldn't have had Ross if he made it...would have fallen something like 6 spots if he made it.  

If you remember (as mentioned above), Bullock's lone miss of the season was because our own Coaching Staff changed to a "delayed snap count" when Houston called a time-out to "ice the kicker"... unfortunately, our Coaches didn't communicate and forgot to tell our kicker who was still out in the middle of the field trying to stay focused.  He then jumped early and tried to stop but was too late, then had to kick when the snap process started.  The whole snap-hold-kick operation was an out-of-sync mess, which sucked because he made from that spot earlier in the game.

Bullock had a good season with us last year and appears to be continuing those successful efforts into the pre-season of 2017.  I have my money on the NFL-proven Bullock to win this job.
Reply/Quote
I'd prefer that draft pick not be wasted...
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 03:08 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Based on a series of tweets from Hobson, Elliott having a rough day while Bullock has looked pretty good. (I apologize in advance for just having quotes, I'm not very copy-and-paste, Twitter-efficient)

"Bullock from 39 good"

"Elliott from 52 wide left"

"Elliott misses extra point wide right, which just became a storyline"

"Bullock hits from 52 and you officially have your first buzz of training camp"

That's concerning... Sounds like Elliott has a case of the Nugents before his first season even kicked off. Let's hope he can relax a bit and get it together 

Better for him to have the jitters now I guess. It is concerning that the first kicker in the draft is struggling. Not to mention when we took him in the draft, which I thought was too soon. Not going to get into the Gonzales was better debate, if we thought he was the better of the two fine, but to have the confidence in him to jump the gun in the draft with some very good players on the board is more concerning to me.
Reply/Quote
Just out of curiosity; for those that go and watch the practices, how many FG's do the kickers attempt during the day during practice?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 09:12 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'd prefer that draft pick not be wasted...

so you are saying everyone person we draft should make the team ?? I prefer we finally have competition and not just gift a roster spot.. no team is perfect with picks.. and  I am glad they drafted a kicker but at same time if Bullock "kicks butt"  haha.. and beats out Elliot that is fine with me.. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 10:37 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Just out of curiosity; for those that go and watch the practices, how many FG's do the kickers attempt during the day during practice?

Just depends on their schedule for the day... most of the time they practice on side field , i am not sure if they actually kick everyday in a situation drill... 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 10:03 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Better for him to have the jitters now I guess. It is concerning that the first kicker in the draft is struggling. Not to mention when we took him in the draft, which I thought was too soon. Not going to get into the Gonzales was better debate, if we thought he was the better of the two fine, but to have the confidence in him to jump the gun in the draft with some very good players on the board is more concerning to me.

funny so many people wanted competition at kicker, so we evaluate and draft a kicker.. and now that he has competition and not just given the job some worry it could be a wasted pick.. you can;t have it both ways... besides  any other player picked in that round still would have to prove he can make the team.. you have no idea if that would have happen

here is a good example:  from 2010 to 2013 really no 5th rounder made a real impact on this team... last three years we have drafted well with 5th round picks ... so again we roll the dice with a kicker n 5th round.. not the end of the world if he gets cut
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 10:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: so you are saying everyone person we draft should make the team ?? I prefer we finally have competition and not just gift a roster spot.. no team is perfect with picks.. and  I am glad they drafted a kicker but at same time if Bullock "kicks butt"  haha.. and beats out Elliot that is fine with me.. 

A pick for a kicker, yea, I'd prefer they make the team haha. Because spending a pick on a kicker when so many of the most successful kickers in the NFL went undrafted just feels...wasteful. You spent a pick on a kicker because you were absolutely positive he was an elite kicker.
If that's not how you felt about him, you never should have spent a pick on him.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 11:00 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: A pick for a kicker, yea, I'd prefer they make the team haha. Because spending a pick on a kicker when so many of the most successful kickers in the NFL went undrafted just feels...wasteful. You spent a pick on a kicker because you were absolutely positive he was an elite kicker.
If that's not how you felt about him, you never should have spent a pick on him.

It would be quite embarrassing if Elliott gets cut and Gonzalez goes on to be a perennial pro bowler. That wouldn't say much for our scouting department (i.e. Whoever is choosing the draft picks these days). Gonzalez seemed far and away the better kicker before the draft and picking Elliott over him was definitely a head scratcher.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 11:00 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: A pick for a kicker, yea, I'd prefer they make the team haha. Because spending a pick on a kicker when so many of the most successful kickers in the NFL went undrafted just feels...wasteful. You spent a pick on a kicker because you were absolutely positive he was an elite kicker.

As I stated before.. 5th rounders are a crap shot.. I just find it funny that so many wanted competition at kicker and we decided to draft one and give competition.. whoever the Bengals draft in 5th round kicker or not is given a free pass. so we will see who wins... it is still early but no doubt Bullock came to kick and is not going to just hand it over and im fine with that.. competition can only make each of them better
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 11:11 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: It would be quite embarrassing if Elliott gets cut and Gonzalez goes on to be a perennial pro bowler. That wouldn't say much for our scouting department (i.e. Whoever is choosing the draft picks these days). Gonzalez seemed far and away the better kicker before the draft and picking Elliott over him was definitely a head scratcher.

Well the Browns and Bengals both put competition at kicking.. and Gonzalez is not just being handed the kicking job ... and either will Elliot.. they will have to earn it.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2017/08/02/cleveland-browns-kicking-competition-will-likely-last-entire-preseason/ 
Reply/Quote
I was not happy w/ Elliot in rd #5....if any kicker was taken imo, & the opinion of my "experts" it should of been Gonzales, who went to the browns in rd #7....
& I said at the time I bet Elliot can't even win the job.....Bullock will out kick him in camp & preseason...
but whatever....i'm going to let it go...
overall our war room did a great job w/ this 2017 draft.....
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 11:11 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: It would be quite embarrassing if Elliott gets cut and Gonzalez goes on to be a perennial pro bowler. That wouldn't say much for our scouting department (i.e. Whoever is choosing the draft picks these days). Gonzalez seemed far and away the better kicker before the draft and picking Elliott over him was definitely a head scratcher.

at the time ......I was furious....
I just thought it was a HUGE blunder.....
for 3 reasons,
#1. we didn't have to draft any kicker in rd #5.....too early
#2. Gonzales was ranked higher .....stronger leg....
#3 salt in the wound is the Browns got Gonzales in rd #7....
so he'll be kicking 50+ yard field goals while we may struggle at it....
we shall see....
Whatever
Reply/Quote

That meant to me that Simmons was 100% sold on Elliot.

This whole competition thing makes me wonder about it though. Hopefully, Elliot recovers and becomes a good kicker.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 12:02 AM)Steve Wrote: at the time ......I was furious....
I just thought it was a HUGE blunder.....
for 3 reasons,
#1. we didn't have to draft any kicker in rd #5.....too early
#2. Gonzales was ranked higher .....stronger leg....
#3 salt in the wound is the Browns got Gonzales in rd #7....
so he'll be kicking 50+ yard field goals while we may struggle at it....
we shall see....
Whatever

5th rounders don;t usually make an impact and are probably gone 50 percent of the time within a couple years.. i think you can relax a bit on the outrage  .... and i could care less what Gonzales does if he makes the team.. it is what Bullock or Elliot does for us that will matter for me.  
Reply/Quote
Just remember it took having our kicker lose us three games before we finally acted. For all the other issues with reliable kicking we would have been a 9-10 win team last season anyway.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 12:29 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 5th rounders don;t usually make an impact and are probably gone 50 percent of the time within a couple years.. i think you can relax a bit on the outrage  .... and i could care less what Gonzales does if he makes the team.. it is what Bullock or Elliot does for us that will matter for me.  

I get what your saying but why make the odds worse by drafting a kicker in the 5th, and not even the highest ranked kicker at that. Just because our 5th round picks havent panned out lately is a horrible example. Everyone wanted competition, and most would have been happy with a 7th round/UDFA kicker. People are upset because someone was so confident in this kid that they drafted him where they did and over the consensus #1 kicker. Right now the competition we are getting out of a 5th round pick is equal to that of a UDFA or walk on. He's fighting for a job against a guy who has been on 5 teams in 5 years. I hope the guy gets his shit together and starts making some kicks.
Reply/Quote
I'm willing to trust the coaches even if means we start Elliot and he has a rough first year (to an extent).

Reply/Quote