Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Elliot struggled again today in the scrimmage
We should already know what we have in Bullock. Just let Elliott take the kicks in pre season and see how he does. I hated the pick but there's nothing we can do about it now. Like another poster said, we may have made a bad pick with Elliott, so let's not make another by keeping him just because he was a 5th round pick. He's a 5th round pick that should have never happened. Give him the reps, if he dosent kill it in the pre season, cut your losses and move on.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 12:27 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Bullock only played one game total for Pittsburgh.  He had a good game.  But it's one game.  I posted all his stats above.  He's so-so, which is why he has bounced around.  And Mike Brown would not spend a 5th rounder on a kicker who is just going to be a camp body.  He wouldn't do it.

All that tells me is that bullock may be the lesser of two evils. Draft pick or not, if Bullock out-performs Elliott over the next month, and we keep Elliott simply because he was a draft pick, I will be pissed... Off. The best man after preseason games are over should be given the job. Simple as that. 

Now will it play out that way? Probably not... It is hard for me to see Mike Brown parting with a newly acquired 5th round draft pick. If Elliott gets his s*** together and lights it up in the preseason camp, then we'll have nothing to worry about (maybe).
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 12:59 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: All that tells me is that bullock may be the lesser of two evils. Draft pick or not, if Bullock out-performs Elliott over the next month, and we keep Elliott simply because he was a draft pick, I will be pissed... Off. The best man after preseason games are over should be given the job. Simple as that. 

Now will it play out that way? Probably not... It is hard for me to see Mike Brown parting with a newly acquired 5th round draft pick. If Elliott gets his s*** together and lights it up in the preseason camp, then we'll have nothing to worry about (maybe).

And I'm saying Elliott broke all, or most of, Stephen Gostkowski's records at college, and Gostkowski is one of the best.  So let's give him a chance.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 01:14 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: And I'm saying Elliott broke all, or most of, Stephen Gostkowski's records at college, and Gostkowski is one of the best.  So let's give him a chance.  

Nobody is saying Elliott shouldn't be given a chance, it's obvious he's going to get one too. I can't speak for everyone but I'm just hoping that this kicker competition is legitimate. Basically, Elliott should have to beat out Bullock to earn the job. If he is considerably worse than Bullock and is still given the roster spot over him, that's complete and utter BS. Draft pick or not. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 05:52 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Even kicked a kickoff 10 yards out of the endzone hitting a security guard.

I don't understand why people continue to think that is a good thing. Kick it out of the endzone, give the opposing team the 25 instead of kicking it to between the 1 and 5 and letting ST's pin them back. Old thinking I guess that's hard to get out of. Kickoffs today need to be high, not deep.
Reply/Quote
If the rookie loses the spot, keep him on the practice squad. Develop him for later competition or an emergency situation.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 09:31 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: If the rookie loses the spot, keep him on the practice squad. Develop him for later competition or an emergency situation.

I don't know if he would stay on the practice squad honestly. I would assume that a team with a horrible kicker would want to try and steal him if he was put on our PS.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 09:49 PM)BoBengal Wrote: I had to do some digging but it looks like Bullock did great in Pittsburgh, but had another (injured) guy under contract.  Bullock played (1) game with the the guys in Black-and-Yellow last season and was given the game ball by Mike Tomlin for his performance:

"...Bullock kicks Steelers to Win."
"...Bullock gets game ball."

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/LOOK-Randy-Bullock-sends-classy-message-to-Steelers-49756901

Stats from the game:
100% Field Goals (3/3 from 34, 38, 44 yards in a stadium that is notoriously tough on kickers)
100% PATs (1/1)
3 Touchbacks

It also looks like Bullock is currently the 32nd most accurate place kicker in NFL HISTORY (i.e. all-time according to ProFootballReference).  A quick google search shows that Bullock has made Game Winners in BIG games and against BIG teams like the 49ers, Patriots, etc. in recent years.  

This is a no-brainer:  As Bengals fans, we all want the (still young with ~5 years experience) NFL-proven guy as our kicker instead of the kiddo from small school Memphis that appears to be getting a head-case of the shanks kicking in front of a few fans at a scrimmage and practices.  Elliot is going to have to REALLY step up his game for the coaches to even think twice about this one.  The staff rolled the dice on a kicker, but it looks like we may have had our guy on the roster already... one that did well as a Bengal and helped us after the Mike-Nugent-debacle last season.  [As mentioned in the post above, if we all agree not to hold the only missed kick against Bullock because of the miscommunication -- the guy was 100% on PATs and 100% on field goals for us, and has a cannon of a leg).]
Elliot did bounce back after the misses.  No one really seems to want to acknowledge that, as it doesn't go with their, oh, I wanted Gonzales narrative.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'm not too worried about these kickers missing some in practice before even the first preseason game. The real pressure will be kicking in the preseason games. As long as Elliott doesn't miss an XP or kick under 50 yards in the preseason games, he'll have the job locked up.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 08:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't understand why people continue to think that is a good thing. Kick it out of the endzone, give the opposing team the 25 instead of kicking it to between the 1 and 5 and letting ST's pin them back. Old thinking I guess that's hard to get out of. Kickoffs today need to be high, not deep.

See I would much rather kick it through the end zone every time. Make the other team work for their points every time. It only takes 1 kick return to change the momentum of a game, why risk it. Plus it cuts down on injuries. I know everyone has their own preference when it come to kick offs, I just prefer this way.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 01:53 PM)TKUHL Wrote: See I would much rather kick it through the end zone every time. Make the other team work for their points every time. It only takes 1 kick return to change the momentum of a game, why risk it. Plus it cuts down on injuries. I know everyone has their own preference when it come to kick offs, I just prefer this way.

Yeah, a lot of it depends on who the return man is you're facing.  If you're facing a Devon Hester in his prime, you most certainly want to kick it out of the endzone.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 01:14 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: And I'm saying Elliott broke all, or most of, Stephen Gostkowski's records at college, and Gostkowski is one of the best.  So let's give him a chance.  

Yeah 1 bad day doesn't determine a career. We need to let this play out.

That said, if they do cut Elliott...Gonzales was the pick they should have made.
Reply/Quote
Anyone who thinks they will cut a kicker they spent a draft pick on, forgets who owns the Bengals.

[Image: sBft6j.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 06:47 PM)Rattler Wrote: Anyone who thinks they will cut a kicker they spent a draft pick on, forgets who owns the Bengals.

[Image: sBft6j.png]

Well I was very excited about this season then I saw the numbers at the bottom of your sig, and it reminded me that sometimes it just doesn't matter who is on the field when Marvin is on the sideline. Damnit
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 11:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So far taking Elliot over Gonzalez was a bad move.  Keeping Elliot because we took him over Gonzalez could be a one-two punch.  That pick is gone, so if Bullock is better just keep him.  Please.

This

My big fear is that we'll keep Elliot regardless because we invested a draft pick on him.  That would be a very flawed reason, but lots of NFL teams do it.

So far Bullock has my vote.  But as many people have said, the competition is not over.
Reply/Quote

Point
Reply/Quote
Can someone give me a reason why Bullock bounced around so many teams before coming to Cincy? Generally, a good-to-great kicker sticks with a team, though there are a variety of reasons why that may be and I'd like to know Bullock's.

Otherwise, I'm inclined to just go with Elliot unless he absolutely stinks up the preseason.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 12:59 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: All that tells me is that bullock may be the lesser of two evils. Draft pick or not, if Bullock out-performs Elliott over the next month, and we keep Elliott simply because he was a draft pick, I will be pissed... Off. The best man after preseason games are over should be given the job. Simple as that. 

If they end up equal, yes they cut the more expensive player. That is a no brainer.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 12:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Can someone give me a reason why Bullock bounced around so many teams before coming to Cincy? Generally, a good-to-great kicker sticks with a team, though there are a variety of reasons why that may be and I'd like to know Bullock's.

Otherwise, I'm inclined to just go with Elliot unless he absolutely stinks up the preseason.

He's not been a very good kicker honestly. By overall % FGs made he has been...

2016 - 21st
2015 - 24th
2014 - 16th
2013 - 32nd

*note* I didn't filter out any kickers that had a low amount of attempts

He's never been all that good. If you remember he lost us the Houston game last year by missing the FG.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 12:59 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: He's not been a very good kicker honestly. By overall % FGs made he has been...

2016 - 21st
2015 - 24th
2014 - 16th
2013 - 32nd

*note* I didn't filter out any kickers that had a low amount of attempts

He's never been all that good. If you remember he lost us the Houston game last year by missing the FG.

I read where Houston cut him for missed PATs.
Reply/Quote