Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elon Musk running sweat shop?
From reading the article, sounds like he's taking advantage of his employees.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/18/tesla-workers-factory-conditions-elon-musk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
He's a capitalist, so we should be surprised?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Bunch o' lazy, slackers trying to suckle from the government's Worker's Comp teat.

I tell ya, coal is looking better and better.
"...and low wages at the factory..."

*Googles Tesla wages.*

Quote:How much does Tesla Motors in the United States pay?
The average Tesla Motors salary ranges from approximately $40,197 per year for Forklift Operator to $143,744 per year for IT Manager. Average Tesla Motors hourly pay ranges from approximately $10.00 per hour for Finisher to $77.38 per hour for .NET Developer.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(05-18-2017, 09:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: "...and low wages at the factory..."

*Googles Tesla wages.*

That's hella OT to get from $10 per hour to $40G's per year.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Sweat shop? Far from it. Those are decent middle class incomes.

It's factory work. It's not easy. That's why there's unions, to make sure those guys get paid decent.
(05-18-2017, 11:42 PM)Benton Wrote: Sweat shop? Far from it. Those are decent middle class incomes.

It's factory work. It's not easy. That's why there's unions, to make sure those guys get paid decent.

Working 6 12hr shifts per week, for extended periods of time is detrimental to people's long term health.  If Musk wants that much production, he should go to a 3 shift/day model.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-18-2017, 09:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: "...and low wages at the factory..."

*Googles Tesla wages.*

Make sure that you also google average cost of rent in Fremont Ca.  I spent several months working in that area, a few years back.  The cost of rent, price of utilities, and just stuff in general, really blew me away.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-19-2017, 07:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Working 6 12hr shifts per week, for extended periods of time is detrimental to people's long term health.  If Musk wants that much production, he should go to a 3 shift/day model.

They say in the article they have now moved to 3 shifts. The article really does seem to be about people complaining about how things used to be, and Musk even admits it wasn't great but they are trying to be better. If it were unreasonable though he would be shut down by regulators, hell I'm sure the fossil fuel based auto industry is chomping at the bit to shut him down.
I hope he gets shut down because every person who owns a Tesla seems to have a need to tell us they own a Tesla via personalized plates. Yes I can be petty.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Trump understands this stuff way gooder and makes his employees fall in line because his wee wee
(05-19-2017, 07:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Working 6 12hr shifts per week, for extended periods of time is detrimental to people's long term health.  If Musk wants that much production, he should go to a 3 shift/day model.

Not disagreeing that those kinds of hours aren't healthy. But if you're getting paid for it, it's not a sweat shop.

Coal miners, welders, deck hands, assembly line workers, etc... they work in tough conditions for long hours, but they get paid well. Those workers generally have safe conditions, and they trade out their health and time for the peace of mind that $20+ an hour brings. It's not like kids working in the clothing factory where Ivanka Trump's clothes are made, where they earn $1 an hour working 60 hours a week. 

Personally, I applaud Musk for building the cars here instead of taking the route "American" auto companies have gone and building cars much cheaper in Mexico. I'm kinda surprised anyone is faulting the guy for providing decent — albeit hard — jobs for Americans. 
It must hurt the delicate sensibilities of irrelevant people out of their prime. Mean people say mr man is dumb. Is there a T therapy for that?
Welp we made it all the way to post #11. I want each of you to take this time and congratulate yourselves on your restraint.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

We tried working 12 hour shifts for a while here.  Productivity dropped off pretty noticeably after ten hours.

And these guys aren't getting $20 an hour for it.

Went to four tens and staggered shifts (M-Th & Th-F) with OT on the off day 8-10 hours as needed.  That worked much better for the workers AND for the products being produced.

Much lower cost of living here though too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-19-2017, 12:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: We tried working 12 hour shifts for a while here.  Productivity dropped off pretty noticeably after ten hours.

Went to four tens and staggered shifts (M-Th & Th-F) with OT on the off day 8-10 hours as needed.  That worked much better for the workers AND for the products being produced.

It sounds good, but I have to imagine those last hours are horrible.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-19-2017, 12:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It sounds good, but I have to imagine those last hours are horrible.

It's exactly that.  We are  are a non-union shop, but the employees have set break times, water cooler in the shop, etc. But even with an extra break those last few hours got us nothing of worth.

Don't get me wrong:  The guys loved the OT and wanted to work as many hours as we would allow them, but you could see it wear on them.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-19-2017, 12:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: We tried working 12 hour shifts for a while here.  Productivity dropped off pretty noticeably after ten hours.

Cost of living means a lot.  Out there, if a man has 2 kids and his wife raises them, he needs $25/hr just to live paycheck to paycheck, without government assistance.  Especially when you consider the taxation rates out there, compounded with the cost of living.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-19-2017, 12:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Welp we made it all the way to post #11. I want each of you to take this time and congratulate yourselves on your restraint.

You noticed that too. Good Lord!
(05-19-2017, 12:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It sounds good, but I have to imagine those last hours are horrible.

You get used to them like most things.