Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Emotional Deficit?
So, you know how you can be color blind or tone deaf?

My question is, can one be emotionally color blind/tone deaf?

Yes or no, and how/why?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Possibly. But before I answer the reason why, I need to understand the direction you are going with this question? Please be more specific.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2017, 10:27 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Possibly. But before I answer the reason why, I need to understand the direction you are going with this question? Please be more specific.

I think I am pretty tolerant, and I can laugh at myself and a lot of things that people might call "black" humor. But I also think there are things you just don't joke about or make light of. For example, in 1977 the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire devastated the Greater Cincinnati community. I can't imagine joking about that. If someone did joke about it, and was called out on it, I can't imagine them saying. "I don't see the problem."
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Narcissists are noted for their lack of empathy. I think this falls under that, generally speaking.
Reply/Quote
Well, if you think of it as a continuum:

"bleeding heart<--------------Normal Person-------------->Straight up sociopath"

Everyone falls somewhere on that line.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2017, 12:01 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Well, if you think of it as a continuum:

"bleeding heart<--------------Normal Person-------------->Straight up sociopath"

Everyone falls somewhere on that line.

I feel like I range all over that spectrum.  Some things just make me feel so bad that I could get sick.  Other things, things that I think I should probably care about more make me feel absolutely nothing.   Then sometimes I just stay in the middle of the road.  I wonder if this is the exception or the rule.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2017, 03:46 AM)samhain Wrote: I feel like I range all over that spectrum.  Some things just make me feel so bad that I could get sick.  Other things, things that I think I should probably care about more make me feel absolutely nothing.   Then sometimes I just stay in the middle of the road.  I wonder if this is the exception or the rule.

I'd say it's normal behavior if you're a Bengal fan.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2017, 03:46 AM)samhain Wrote: I feel like I range all over that spectrum.  Some things just make me feel so bad that I could get sick.  Other things, things that I think I should probably care about more make me feel absolutely nothing.   Then sometimes I just stay in the middle of the road.  I wonder if this is the exception or the rule.

Any given topic will push you to one side of that spectrum. Take the fire xxlt mentioned. I'm not from the greater Cincinnati area, I've never heard of it. If you talk about the Kiss nightclub fire however, it's a whole different thing to me. 

I remember travelling abroad, and people made jokes about the 9/11 attacks. They weren't from the USA, so it didn't have the same impact on them as it would me. Just like the jokes would have a different impact on me, an 8th grader at the time of the attacks, than the impact on my uncle who was walking away from the buildings when the planes hit.  

I don't know if xxlt was being specific to humor. My personal opinion is that anything goes in humor, as long as the objective of making people laugh isn't lost. Jokes that I find to be in poor taste I just try to ignore. But in my opinion, you can't dictate what is or isn't fair game in humor. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2017, 08:16 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Any given topic will push you to one side of that spectrum. Take the fire xxlt mentioned. I'm not from the greater Cincinnati area, I've never heard of it. If you talk about the Kiss nightclub fire however, it's a whole different thing to me. 

I remember travelling abroad, and people made jokes about the 9/11 attacks. They weren't from the USA, so it didn't have the same impact on them as it would me. Just like the jokes would have a different impact on me, an 8th grader at the time of the attacks, than the impact on my uncle who was walking away from the buildings when the planes hit.  

I don't know if xxlt was being specific to humor. My personal opinion is that anything goes in humor, as long as the objective of making people laugh isn't lost. Jokes that I find to be in poor taste I just try to ignore. But in my opinion, you can't dictate what is or isn't fair game in humor. 

This reminds me of the South Park Episode where there is a set length of time before some horrible things can be funny, in the episode it was AIDS. Once they hit a certain mark it was "okay" to make jokes about AIDS.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2017, 10:22 PM)xxlt Wrote: So, you know how you can be color blind or tone deaf?

Yes or no, and how/why?

The question is posed a bit vague, but sure. Autism is an example. Being a sociopath is an example. Some personality disorders do have an effect similar to being emotionally deaf. 

There is of course a range to all these conditions and the degreement of impairment or "emotional deficit". According to everyone, I myself do have those deficits, but not so much regarding empathy.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 12:59 PM)hollodero Wrote: The question is posed a bit vague, but sure. Autism is an example. Being a sociopath is an example. Some personality disorders do have an effect similar to being emotionally deaf. 

There is of course a range to all these conditions and the degreement of impairment or "emotional deficit". According to everyone, I myself do have those deficits, but not so much regarding empathy.

Helpful! Thank you!
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 12:59 PM)hollodero Wrote: The question is posed a bit vague, but sure. Autism is an example. Being a sociopath is an example. Some personality disorders do have an effect similar to being emotionally deaf. 

Autism and personality disorders were the first two things that popped into my mind. 
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 11:40 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Autism and personality disorders were the first two things that popped into my mind. 

Same for me. I have a hard time distinguishing emotions in people. Why it is necessarily, I don't know, but I exhibit other traits that would put me somewhere on the autism spectrum. A number of things can cause this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 10:54 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Same for me. I have a hard time distinguishing emotions in people. Why it is necessarily, I don't know, but I exhibit other traits that would put me somewhere on the autism spectrum. A number of things can cause this.

How well developed would you say your sense of humor is? (Serious question - no pun intended.) 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 03:23 PM)xxlt Wrote: How well developed would you say your sense of humor is? (Serious question - no pun intended.) 

That is a tough thing to answer. I enjoy cerebral comedy, but even then I don't find a lot of things very funny, at least not haha funny.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2017, 10:22 PM)xxlt Wrote: So, you know how you can be color blind or tone deaf?

Yes or no, and how/why?

Lack of Emotions is the only Logical way to go...  =)
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 05:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Lack of Emotions is the only Logical way to go...  =)
Thank you Mr. Spock, j/k my friend. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 05:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That is a tough thing to answer. I enjoy cerebral comedy, but even then I don't find a lot of things very funny, at least not haha funny.

I asked because a lot of people seem to have a hard time with tone in an environment like this. You don't seem to me to be one of those people. You seem to get when someone is being  serious or facetious. So, your comment about being somewhere on the autism spectrum surprised me.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 05:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Lack of Emotions is the only Logical way to go...  =)

Ha ha! Some of the people I think of in terms of this sort of emotional deficit are also so illogical they would make a Vulcan's head explode.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 12:24 PM)xxlt Wrote: I asked because a lot of people seem to have a hard time with tone in an environment like this. You don't seem to me to be one of those people. You seem to get when someone is being  serious or facetious. So, your comment about being somewhere on the autism spectrum surprised me.

You would actually be surprised. There are a lot of times when I type up a response to something and then don't post it because I can't tell if they were being facetious or not. If I can't tell, I just err on the side of facetiousness.

Reply/Quote