Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Enjoy the Journey Part 2. On to Buffalo
I was pretty surprised at how the offense couldn't get points in the second half aside form the sneak.

Reason I say this is that Mixon seemed to be moving the ball as well or better than he had been on first down. I recall one series where he got 8 on first down and the team couldn't scrap together two yards to convert and punted. The roughing the kicker drive was a particularly bad one, too. They got 6 shots at moving the chains and punted from just about the same spot they would have if the penalty never occurred.

I'm not entirely sure it's the line, either. Burrow had some time on a few of those 3 and outs, but couldn't convert.

IMO, the Ravens are a much better (and by better I mean faster) team when it comes to defending the middle of the field than others they've faced in recent games. Smith and Queen are as quick of a linebacker duo as there is in the league. The safety trio of Clark, Williams, and Hamilton is elite. They are somewhat like the Bengals defense in that aspect. They can be attacked on the perimeter at corner despite having big name corners and their pass rushers are good but not game-wrecking good. Up the middle they are a nightmare and like us, they can get away with playing single high to stop big plays due to their talent at safety.

The theme since the slow start was combating defenses taking away the deep ball by using the middle of the field, but using the middle of the field is no easy task vs Baltimore.

My consolation after this game is that the Bengals aren't going to face a defense like this again in the AFC. Jacksonville is stout, but KC and the Bills have highly susceptible defensive backfields. Neither has the best off-the-ball linebacker in the league ie Roquan Smith, either.
Reply/Quote
The title of my thread is enjoy the journey part 2. I would appreciate it if the attacks of football knowledge would cease.

We won the game against against a great defense, a defense that since the arrival of R. Smith has only given up 13 points a game.

Yes, it was ugly, yes our offense sputtered in the second half. Yes, our defense and one play changed the entire game.

Now on to Buffalo and next man up. Enjoy the journey, back to back years we have a playoff game and looking at those playoff games, our defense, special teams and offense (not just Joe B. and the offense) contributed to the wins.

Enjoy the ride, it continues which is a credit to the entire team and coaching staff.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
One interesting thing to me about this offense is that week in and week out, the opening drive looks dang near clinical. Tampa is the only real exception. Quick cores, long, methodical drives, a plethora of weapons utilized, etc. They look unstoppable.

Leads me to believe that they are very good with their scripted plays but struggle when the opposing defense makes adjustments. I think they can overcome it, but time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 12:33 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Bengals also went ultra conservative on the last 2 drives. Had nothing to do with the OL nearly as much as they wanted to chew clock up. I did not agree with them going conservative on the drive after the roughing the punter penalty as they only needed 20 yards for a legitimate FG and that drive could have nailed the coffin shut as long as it was taking Balt. to go down the field.

Think about this as there were only a total of 7-8 drives by cinci. the entire game with one of them a real short field and they scored on 3 of those.

I have disagree we attempted passes on at least 2/3 of our plays last 2 drive what hurt us was sack and holding that put us behind the chains
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 12:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The title of my thread is enjoy the journey part 2. I would appreciate it if the attacks of football knowledge would cease.

We won the game against against a great defense, a defense that since the arrival of R. Smith has only given up 13 points a game.

Yep- our 2 games against Ravens- 51 points. The 5 games before that combined against them- 61 points.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 01:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I have disagree we attempted passes on at least 2/3 of our plays last 2 drive what hurt us was sack and holding that put us behind the chains

But the difference is they ran on both 1st downs into stacked lines. That's eating time and not doing what they do best which is throwing short on 1st down to get manageable yards.  You have to go into that series, imo,with an aggressive mind set to space out the DL and do what you do best. No problem getting ultra conservative with more than a TD lead.
Reply/Quote
For Buffalo, sue me but I would really love to see some more offensive fireworks. We all know Joe B., Joe M. Ja'Marr, Tee, and Tyler, and even Sammy P. are capable of them. The extended forecast looks very good, just at freezing with sunshine, which was better even than yesterday.

Also, in my mind Jacksonville can upset K.C. so that if the Bengals do win, we are treated to a home AFC championship.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 02:42 PM)higgy100 Wrote: But the difference is they ran on both 1st downs into stacked lines. That's eating time and not doing what they do best which is throwing short on 1st down to get manageable yards.  You have to go into that series, imo,with an aggressive mind set to space out the DL and do what you do best. No problem getting ultra conservative with more than a TD lead.

Running on 1st down is not  a crime and does so conservative,  we were that conservative we would not passed 70% and run on 2nd down also... 
Edit just watched last couple series , pretty much their base def they had played against us, plus we gained 7 on run last series but had holding then we are at 7 , you think we would run creat clock but we dropbacked 3 straight.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 12:48 PM)samhain Wrote: My consolation after this game is that the Bengals aren't going to face a defense like this again in the AFC.  Jacksonville is stout, but KC and the Bills have highly susceptible defensive backfields.  Neither has the best off-the-ball linebacker in the league ie Roquan Smith, either.

I agree this was the best defense in the AFC we will face.  Buffalo and KC defenses are not good and we should be able to put 30+ on them, and just hope they don't put 31+ on us. 
Reply/Quote
I have been a Bengals fan for almost 50 years (48). I can remember the Kens (Anderson, Riley), Trumpy, Isaac Curtis, Jim LeClair, Tommy Cassanova, Bob Johnson, Boobie Clark, Essex Johnson, and Lemar Parrish.

We have won playoff games in five of those 48 seasons. FIVE. Out of FORTY FRIGGIN' EIGHT.

I am NEVER gonna begrudge a playoff win because it was too close or a guy got hurt. I am gonna SAVOR it. Relish it. Celebrate it.

Especially our first one vs a division rival.

BTW, if Dobbins is waiting for Jackson to beat us in the playoffs, he may have a long frickin' wait.
Reply/Quote
Even more excited about this game because of the cancellation. Man, this game has to be played. My 2 favorite teams
going at it for a chance at the AFC Championship game? Cannot get any better than this. Expecting Burrow and our Offense
to play lights out in this one against that Defense that couldn't handle Skylar Thompson. Plus Josh Allen has been pretty bad
with turnovers lately and we have a Defense that is great at getting turnovers lately.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 03:10 PM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: For Buffalo, sue me but I would really love to see some more offensive fireworks. We all know Joe B., Joe M. Ja'Marr, Tee, and Tyler, and even Sammy P. are capable of them. The extended forecast looks very good, just at freezing with sunshine, which was better even than yesterday.

Also, in my mind Jacksonville can upset K.C. so that if the Bengals do win, we are treated to a home AFC championship.

True and don't forget about Hayden Hurst who is also playing well.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 06:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True and don't forget about Hayden Hurst who is also playing well.

he's gotta learn he's not superman. He got leveled by Hamilton

Hurst really thought he was gonna run him over
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 06:32 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he's gotta learn he's not superman. He got leveled by Hamilton

Hurst really thought he was gonna run him over

That is true, Hamilton ain't no punk.
Reply/Quote
<

JoeyB needs to call and ask...lol

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I agree with Sam. Makes no sense.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 06:47 PM)pally Wrote: <

Nice try Kay lol
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 06:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I agree with Sam. Makes no sense.

For sure, we got screwed. Oh well, just have to beat them in their house and I think we will.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 03:57 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: ***And a Mixon whiff on the block causing a sack wasn't on the OL. ***

On the national broadcast, it was rightfully (in my opinion) pointed out that Mixon is not a good blocking running back, that Perine is the better blocker. 
That whiff by Mixon was embarrassingly bad. 

It would be nice to get a top RB who can protect Burrow. Mixon has not been getting it done in terms of blocking.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 06:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Even more excited about this game because of the cancellation. Man, this game has to be played. My 2 favorite teams
going at it for a chance at the AFC Championship game? Cannot get any better than this. Expecting Burrow and our Offense
to play lights out in this one against that Defense that couldn't handle Skylar Thompson. Plus Josh Allen has been pretty bad
with turnovers lately and we have a Defense that is great at getting turnovers lately.

Also, with all the talk about our o-line, people forget how bad that Bills line is. They allowed 7 sacks and 20 pressures against Miami.  Mellow
Reply/Quote