Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equilibrium
I don't think we are finished in free agency, but at this point we have at least reached "equilibrium".

We had 2 starting O-linemen who were free agents (Spain, Reiff) and we signed 2 starting O-linemen (Cappa, Karras).

We had a starting TE who was a free agent (Uzomah) and we signed a starting TE (Hurst)

We had a starting DT who was a free agent (Ogunjobi) and we signed a starting DT (Hill)

We had 2 starting DBs who were free agents (Bates, Apple) and we re-signed both of them.

It is hard to see how the O-line will shake out right now, but based just on overall "talent level" I think we have clearly improved and gotten MUCH younger.  

All the other moves were at least break even.

So overall we have improved.  

And anything we do going forward will not just be "treading water" or replacing missing players.  Instead they will be clear upgrades.
Reply/Quote
Thank you for the summary and the positive vibes.
Reply/Quote
Absolutely improved. The line is better by a fair amount. The worst they will be at RT is Reiff. Might be better.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
After writing the OP I realized that we are still down on talent at the DT position from last year, But DT is not an expensive or elite position to fill.

I did not want to go into next season counting on a rookie to start anywhere, but I could live with one at back up DT.

The fact that Apple and Hurst just got one year deals could also have some impact on the draft.
Reply/Quote
Zac loves the 1 yr deals it seems. Reminds me of the Eminem song "Lose Yourself."

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Absolutely improved. The line is better by a fair amount. The worst they will be at RT is Reiff. Might be better.

Reiff as back up swing T is my dream. With a Collins starting.
Reply/Quote
The OL still isn't good enough.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think we are finished in free agency, but at this point we have at least reached "equilibrium".

We had 2 starting O-linemen who were free agents (Spain, Reiff) and we signed 2 starting O-linemen (Cappa, Karras).

We had a starting TE who was a free agent (Uzomah) and we signed a starting TE (Hurst)

We had a starting DT who was a free agent (Ogunjobi) and we signed a starting DT (Hill)

We had 2 starting DBs who were free agents (Bates, Apple) and we re-signed both of them.

It is hard to see how the O-line will shake out right now, but based just on overall "talent level" I think we have clearly improved and gotten MUCH younger.  

And anything we do going forward will not just be "treading water" or replacing missing players.  Instead they will be clear upgrades.

I haven’t thought of it this way, but you’re right. However I look at it like we haven’t really gained much. We need to get better. Much better. Yes, we made it to the SB, but no one can say that a little luck wasn’t involved on that SB run. If we play the Chiefs/Bills on the road 10x how many do we win? Bills are getting better. Chargers are getting better. I actually think they’re the team to beat this year. We have improved the O line a little, but it’s not enough. And I’m not going to count the draft. Everyone gets to draft players. The bills and chargers both have a first round pick lol. And it’s higher than ours. FA is the easiest place to improve your team over the competition.

I really hope we add a RT and another IOL. I would then draft BPA but hope for CB, S, DL. We need more edge rushers and no one is talking about that. Remember watching Mahomes have like 15 seconds to scramble and throw?
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 08:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Zac loves the 1 yr deals it seems. Reminds me of the Eminem song "Lose Yourself."

I think he wants to make sure they are a fit in the locker room and culture wise as well before making longer term commitment, like with the BJ Hill deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think we are finished in free agency, but at this point we have at least reached "equilibrium".

Yes great analysis. I don't think we are done in FA either. We also have the draft and we get a key defensive pass rusher rookie back in 2022 who was injured. I am also hopeful Pollack can help the young guys like Carmen, Johnson, Prince and Smith improve.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It seems like the AFC has gotten a lot tougher and breaking even are equilibrium is not enough. Not nearly enough for this talented quarterback and team
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:36 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I think he wants to make sure they are a fit in the locker room and culture wise as well before making longer term commitment, like with the BJ Hill deal.

It’s called leverage. It’s something the Bengals haven’t had much of. Some of those guys aren’t first line players. The Bengals are in still a roster building mode. Carman better get his rear in gear and Hopkins if he stays and any others.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:19 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Bills are getting better. 

No they are not.  I can't believe how many people just look at one or two big signings and assume no other team had any starters that were free agents

Bills have lost starting CB Levi Wallace, and still have holes created by free agent starters at WR (Emmanuel Sanders, Cole Beasley) OT Darryl Williams, DE Jerry Hughs, and OG Ike Boettger.  Other than the huge Von Miller signing they have only given out ONE other contract worth more than $4.5 million a year.  Meanwhile the Bengals have given 4 players more than $6 million per year.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It seems like the AFC has gotten a lot tougher and breaking even are equilibrium is not enough. Not nearly enough for this talented quarterback and team

Well we did start out the FA period as the best team in the AFC; so it stands to reason other teams are making bigger splashes. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It seems like the AFC has gotten a lot tougher and breaking even are equilibrium is not enough. 

No.  It does not seem like that at all

Ravens have only given out one contract worth more than $5 million per year.  In fact it looks like they have only signed 2 free agents Marcus Williams and Morgan Moses.  Meanwhile they have lost starting CB Anthony Averette and still have holes created by free agent starters at DE (Calais Campbell), DT (Brandon Williams), WR (Sammy Watkins), LB (Justin Houston), and FB (Patrick Ricard).

Pretty much every move the Steelers have made has been backwards.

Roethlisberger > Trubisky
Trai Turner > James Danials
Joe Haden > Levi Wallace

And they still have not replaced Schuster or Terrell Edmunds.

It is like people around here have to make stuff up to whine about.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well we did start out the FA period as the best team in the AFC; so it stands to reason other teams are making bigger splashes. 

So you're basically saying that the Cincinnati Bengals baseline was so high that other teams are catching up? I like it
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  It does not seem like that at all

Ravens have only given out one contract worth more than $5 million per year.  In fact it looks like they have only signed 2 free agents Marcus Williams and Morgan Moses.  Meanwhile they have lost starting CB Anthony Averette and still have holes created by free agent starters at DE (Calais Campbell), DT (Brandon Williams), WR (Sammy Watkins), LB (Justin Houston), and FB (Patrick Ricard).

Pretty much every move the Steelers have made has been backwards.

Roethlisberger > Trubisky
Trai Turner > James Danials
Joe Haden > Levi Wallace

And they still have not replaced Schuster or Terrell Edmunds.

It is like people around here have to make stuff up to whine about.
I'm thinking outside the division You're a lawyer. Learn to read
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  It does not seem like that at all

Yes, and  Za'Darius Smith backed out of his agreement with the Ravens. He had agreed to a four-year, $35 million deal with Baltimore (8.75 million per season), but then heard about the Von Miller ($20 million per season) and Chandler Jones ($17 million per season) deals and had second thoughts.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I'm thinking outside the division You're a lawyer. Learn to read

Bills are outside the division.

Learn something about the NFL

(03-17-2022, 09:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bills have lost starting CB Levi Wallace, and still have holes created by free agent starters at WR (Emmanuel Sanders, Cole Beasley) OT Darryl Williams, DE Jerry Hughs, and OG Ike Boettger.  Other than the huge Von Miller signing they have only given out ONE other contract worth more than $4.5 million a year.  Meanwhile the Bengals have given 4 players more than $6 million per year.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bills are outside the division.

Learn something about the NFL
The bills are very good team and probably the best team in the AFC
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote