Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Espn power rankings
(10-20-2015, 01:30 PM)BernLock Wrote: Here is a link to Espn power rankings. I'm just gonna leave this here.....
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/rankings?year=2015&week=7&src=desktop

How the hell do they still have the Cards and Broncos ahead of the Bengals?   Denver might be the most unimpressive 6-0 in history.  Can't wait to go there and put a beat down on those fools.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
These things generate so many clicks and views that they have to be managed an a high level. Not at a high level in the sense of getting them right, but more in that ESPN is focusing on the business opportunity.

I think that there is a clear agenda being pushed here by ESPN. Is it against the Bengals? Probably not. It's more likely that they are trying to legitimize their new pet stat, the FPI.

Take a look and you can tell that it needs a lot of help:
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/110680/espns-football-power-index-rankings-for-oct-20

In ranking the Cards higher in the power rankings, it makes this stat more legitimate. My opinion at least - or ESPN just hates the Bengals, something like that.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 06:13 PM)TRsome Wrote: These things generate so many clicks and views that they have to be managed an a high level. Not at a high level in the sense of getting them right, but more in that ESPN is focusing on the business opportunity.

I think that there is a clear agenda being pushed here by ESPN. Is it against the Bengals? Probably not. It's more likely that they are trying to legitimize their new pet stat, the FPI.

Take a look and you can tell that it needs a lot of help:
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/110680/espns-football-power-index-rankings-for-oct-20

In ranking the Cards higher in the power rankings, it makes this stat more legitimate. My opinion at least - or ESPN just hates the Bengals, something like that.

Sunday, in the pregame show, ESPN said the words "trap game" so many times, the words lost all meaning.  This ranking is their way of covering their stupid asses.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I agree with the one guy in the comment section that said ESPN has to be straight up trolling now. I mean, there's no way they can be this dense, right? The Cards lose 2 of their last 3 and move up? WTF?

Hell, even notorious Bengal hater Walterfootball is giving the Bengals big props right now, even considered them for the top spot...

3. Cincinnati Bengals (6-0) - Previously: #3 - I considered moving the Bengals up to No. 1 this week. I really did. Cincinnati has been ruining tons of sharp betting situations this year. For instance, the Raiders were in a great spot Week 1, and have since played well, yet the Bengals crushed them. Similarly, the Bills were up for a statement game this past weekend, ready to prove that they could win without their starting quarterback. Nope. Sammy Watkins' injury helped, but Cincinnati destroyed Buffalo.

The Bengals still haven't lost against the spread this year, which is amazing. Even better is that they haven't scored fewer than 24 points in any game thus far.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php#uO2Bz1s7kOtGwVUH.99
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 05:56 PM)cinci4life Wrote: How in the sam hell does Arizona who lost and Denver who is dam lucky not to lose end up ahead of us. Whoever made this list should be fired immediately. What a joke.

These rankings are opinion, and they generate clicks by being controversial. Follow the money people.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 07:00 PM)Utts Wrote: These rankings are opinion, and they generate clicks by being controversial. Follow the money people.

I actually agree, to a point. A little controversy can go a long way. However, they also seem perfectly fine with making themselves appear completely clueless, and have been doing a good job of that for some time now.
Reply/Quote
I have to believe it's a typo, because if it isn't, I can't go to that website anymore.
Reply/Quote
More of an explanation from Coley

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/19672/bengals-cardinals-espn-power-rankings-nfl-out-ranked-how-heck

Coley Harvey, ESPN Staff Writer
Shares
email
print
comment
CINCINNATI -- Bengals fans, I've heard your yells, yelps, yawps and other various exclamations all day Tuesday.

Trust me, I understand them completely. Part of me actually was ready to raise hell, too, when I saw late in the morning where the team stood in ESPN's Power Rankings.

In case you missed it, the Bengals ended up ranking fifth; the same spot they have occupied the past three weeks. Ahead of them were the following four teams: No. 1 the New England Patriots (5-0), No. 2 the Green Bay Packers (6-0), No. 3 the Denver Broncos (6-0) and ... drum roll, please ... at No. 4, the Arizona Cardinals (4-2).

Wait, what? How does a team that's 6-0 like the Bengals end up ranking below a team that has two losses?

That was the big question on my mind for much of the day, much like it was for many of you. My Twitter mentions, Facebook notifications and text-message alerts show that fully. Then there were the quizzical looks I received from other members of the Bengals media while working at Paul Brown Stadium. They all had the same question.

Curious to know how this rankings injustice happened, I hunted for answers.

Here's what my editors told me about ESPN's Power Rankings, and why the Bengals may have been ranked so comparatively low.

In recent weeks, ESPN's Power Rankings process has been tweaked. It's no longer a simple vote numbering the teams 1-32 the way it had been in the past. Lately, the process involves advanced metrics and computer processes and data and stuff that all goes way over this writer's head. Voters are now required to answer one specific question: "Which team should rank higher?"

Just like I did my first two years on the Bengals beat, I continue to participate in the voting process this season. I've voted both the new and the old way. This different method involves a random assortment of matchups which pose the question above to voters each time they cast a vote. For example, would the one-win Jacksonville Jaguars rank higher than the six-win Bengals? Odds are, each voter would say no. Then a new matchup is presented.

"In the world of data analysis," I was told, "this is considered one of the most reliable methods to gather predictions and opinions."

It's from those responses that the rankings emerge. This week we had more than 2,000 votes cast. I was also told the purpose of this rankings system is to judge teams by overall team strength and not wins and losses.

Apparently the Bengals and Cardinals were nearly tied, but the combination of votes slightly favored the Cardinals. Voters didn't necessarily think Arizona was a more successful team, but this exercise showed the more than 80 voters believed they were a stronger and more complete team.

Personally, I disagree. I'm glad ESPN Stats & Information's Marty Callinan did, too. He so effectively wrote here about why the Bengals actually are a more complete team at this stage.

Perhaps the best words we can all take from this came from Twitter user @brooksob53. He/she so eloquently wrote: "we get to play the Cards and Broncos anyways."

Amen. Later this season, Tuesday's debate can be put to rest on the field when the Bengals will actually find out whether they are better than both Arizona and Denver.

Comments

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Power panel made up of television personalities Kardasions, Honeybooboo...lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Who cares what our ranking is, we destroy any defense out there. Averaging over 30 a game. Our defense needs to pick up some slack. The only power ranking that matters is the last one.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Ha

Opinion dismissed.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
WOW just WOW... Awesome!!!
Reply/Quote
"In the world of data analysis," I was told, "this is considered one of the most reliable methods to gather predictions and opinions."

"You can take your data analysis, turn it sideways , and stick it up your candy ass!"

Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson to the "Power panel" of espn experts.
Reply/Quote
If it makes you feel any better, it appears from reading the comments on ESPN.com that almost all the fans around the nation agree the Bengals should be ahead of the Cardinals and even the Broncos. The only people who don't see it are the "experts" who actually made the ranking.

I'd rather be an undefeated 6-0 team than a "more complete" 4-2 team.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 05:05 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Complete lack of rational thought went into the ranking?  That is the only explanation I can come up with... the Broncos barely beat the Browns (Browns should have won that game) and Manning looks worse by the week.  Arizona has two losses.  The only debate should be if Cincinnati is number two or three.

Agreed.  

I think we make a strong case for 2.   But so does GB or NE. Heck the pats are a bonehead play call by pagano away from losing to the terrible colts.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 01:40 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Lol. Na. It's ESPN. If the Bengals lose to anybody, at any point at all this season, they'll instantly fall 15 spots.

I'm pretty sure that'll happen as soon as Dalton throws 2 more INTs.
Reply/Quote