Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evan McPherson is in the dog house
(03-04-2022, 11:06 AM)Stewy Wrote: Old guy is trying to make sure the young guy keeps his head on straight. That IS part of Simmons job. Don't think it needed to be addressed publicly though.

I don’t think there’s any question Simmons thinks he should have been the head coach. He’s made a few comments that indicated Zac had come a long way as head coach. It seemed to me at the time that it was sorta a backhanded compliment. Trust me there’s plenty of jealousy about these young head coaches and their early opportunities and success. Which is part of it.

Simmons I don’t remember getting much attention in the pressers.
Reply/Quote
Not just any dog house, but the Snoop Dogg house.

I'm indifferent on the whole thing myself. It's one thing for Harris to do it, maybe another for a rookie - albeit a very good one. Perhaps we are overreacting to Simmons' overreaction.
Reply/Quote
Simmons is being an asshole here.  Every kicker in the league comes out way before the rest of the team at halftime which tells you they are not part of the normal halftime locker room activities.  If Simmons had an issue (which would be bullshit) it didn’t need to be aired in a way to try and embarrass McPherson.  He could have given some coach speak response.

I suggest Simmons shut his mouth cause he is nowhere as valuable as McPherson and focus on putting a guy back who can catch punts.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:43 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I don’t think there’s any question Simmons thinks he should have been the head coach. He’s made a few comments that indicated Zac had come a long way as head coach. It seemed to me at the time that it was sorta a backhanded compliment. Trust me there’s plenty of jealousy about these young head coaches and their early opportunities and success. Which is part of it.

What?  Are you saying Simmons is doing the HC's job?  I think not.  He is responsible for the entirety of the Special teams.  Like and good business a manager must trust his direct reports to do their jobs and mange their own direct reports.  The Buck stops with the HC, but making sure the buck never gets to the HC is the responsibility of his direct reports (OC, DC, ST, special advisors, etc.).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It is kind of anti-team when the entire team is in a locker room and 2 players watch the halftime show.

McPherson had an amazing year and fans love him. He's also one of the best kickers in the league.

But, he's immature. And I'm sure some of the success is going to his head. Smart for Simmons to reign him in.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:43 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I don’t think there’s any question Simmons thinks he should have been the head coach. He’s made a few comments that indicated Zac had come a long way as head coach. It seemed to me at the time that it was sorta a backhanded compliment. Trust me there’s plenty of jealousy about these young head coaches and their early opportunities and success. Which is part of it.

Should Simmons be HC? Idk. The trend seems to be to hire young, offensive head coaches.

I don't see Simmons getting a lot of looks by other teams.
Reply/Quote
Some of you are worshipping Evan a little too much. He wasn’t where he Was supposed to be so of course his coach is unhappy about it. He had a great year but no one is perfect. Simmons job is to make him better and that’s what he’s going to do. He will push him so that he continues to improve and not believe all the hype he’s been getting. Trying to keep him level headed.
And now we are going to worry about a kicker leaving in FA four years from now? Come on…he had a great year but let’s see if he keeps it up. I think he will and as he matures he will also respect the coach that pushed to make him better.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:45 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Some of you are worshipping Evan a little too much. 

Blasphemous! No idea what you're talking about.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
When I saw him out there during the Super Bowl, I thought it was pretty shitty TBH. It's the Super Bowl, all the guys should be in the locker room
Reply/Quote
I can see both sides of the argument for him being there or not. End of the day, it's an internal issue. Whether Simmons had an issue with it or not he should have left it at "no comment" or "it's been discussed and there's nothing that needs to be said here" instead of calling anyone out and saying it's a "sore subject." Check your guys, but do it in private.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:49 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Blasphemous! No idea what you're talking about.

[Image: giphy.gif]

There is a level of love being shown to him that no player is worthy of - unless that players name is Ja’Marr Chase (there can never be enough love shown to Mr Chase!)
Reply/Quote
This is a situation where a players talent is gonna trump any perceived issues with his character

Who gives AF if he’s hitting kicks. I mean seriously
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 11:40 PM)pally Wrote: Simmons was not happy with the photo of Evan sitting on the bench watching halftime during the Super Bowl  “That’s a sore subject,” he said. “That’s a real sore subject.”  Clark Harris also watched the show but was smart enough not to get caught on camera doing so.

Simmons also mentioned he wants Evan to improve the finesse and consistency of his kickoffs.   He has a lot of "tools in his toolbelt" they just have to continue developing all of them. Additionally, he wants Evan to improve his practices...not that he is bad...just elevate them a notch.    

And of course, next season could include adjusting to a new holder as well depending on what happens to Huber

Love it. Keep pushing him Simmons. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
It was a funny moment, and we all love the kid, but Simmons isn't wrong.

It ain't about halftime adjustments so much as being uniform with the rest of the squad.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
A: for all we know, Simmons gave them the okay to check out the show and Simmons is upset that McPhereson got caught doing it and nothing else.

B: what the hell are they going to talk to the kicker and LS about during halftime? 'Er yeah just keep on keeping on, don't let the moment get too big, ice in your veins'? Boom, 15 seconds down, 14:45 to kill. They gonna eat a sandwich?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 02:26 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I wonder what Brian “kickers aren’t football players” Billick thinks?

Yes, we all know this. But, it’s kinda like when my wife was in labor and I was there in the room supporting her because it is expected of us, but she’s the one doing all the heavy lifting, and I’m trying not to get in other’s way, and she looked me dead in the eyes and said through clenched teeth and with a death grip on my arm, “Get away from me. Your pheromones are making me sick.”

If she had a sharp object I think she might have stabbed me in the neck with it.

Made a t-shirt about on Custom Ink for less than $30.

“Get away from me. Your pheromones are making me sick.”

She hates that t-shirt almost as much as my pheromones, apparently.

With all that pain she could think of “pheromones.”  God, I love that woman.
When I came out of surgery this last Thursday (very painful) I clearly remembered how much it hurt, but not how long I was out. (2 days with a tube down to my lungs) Anyway when I came to I accused the entire medical team of being monsters trying to torture me. My wife seemed to be on their side which my sedated brain thought she was in cahoots with my torturers . Later I finally got my brain cells reconnected to the rest of my brain,  apologized and learned that quite a few people coming out of real traumatic surgery temporarily think they're only trying to slowly murder them. It's a REALLY strange feeling, but it made me aware of just how much the old woman cares about me.. I accused her of being in cahoots with my torturers? I almost expected to be dragged out and tossed in some filthy jail cell to die..lol  

As far as Evan goes he was a rookie making a rookie mistake. It'll probably never happen again the rest of his football career.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Whole lot about nothing. Money Mac sat in bleachers entire season during half. My guess knowing how superstitious athletes are, he did not want to disturb the mojo.

PFT can suck lt.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Simmons kept the horrible returner Phillips in the game. Don't talk about Evan.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:31 PM)Stewy Wrote: What?  Are you saying Simmons is doing the HC's job?  I think not.  He is responsible for the entirety of the Special teams.  Like and good business a manager must trust his direct reports to do their jobs and mange their own direct reports.  The Buck stops with the HC, but making sure the buck never gets to the HC is the responsibility of his direct reports (OC, DC, ST, special advisors, etc.).

No I’m saying he probably thinks he should be the head coach or named instead of Taylor
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 04:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No I’m saying he probably thinks he should be the head coach or named instead of Taylor

I didn't take it that way.  He's taking responsibility for his guys.  The HC isn't the only person that can ownership of their job and responsibility for the guys under them.
Reply/Quote