Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even with addition of Hart and Glenn......
The Bengals still have only 3 O-linemen (Boling, Westerman, Glen) under contract beyond this season, and Glen is the only one signed past '19.

So we will still be looking at O-linemen in this draft. I don't know how high, but I predict multiple picks will be used on O-linemen.
Reply/Quote
My prediction on Bodine is that there is not much interest in him on the open market. Since he has experience with our scheme and chemistry with his o-line teammates here he probably has more value to us than another team. So I would not be surprised if we ended up re-signing him. But i don't think he will be guaranteed a starting job.

So don't panic and assume Center is off the table in the draft just because we re-sign Bodine.

And even if we don't draft a Center I think Westerman will be given a shot to win the starting spot.
Reply/Quote
I think if we re-sign Bodine center is most def off the table. And I agree, we will re-sign him. I can't see him being a backup. Thus if we take a center it will be late in the draft and it's more likely that will be TJ Johnsons replacement as backup vs anyone that can supplant Bodine as starter.

I will also agree we will get multiple oline help in the draft. We did good to get Glenn, but haven't solved any other problems with our Line.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I can promise you they will be going after another tackle, possibly two. I hope they pass on Guard and look after the Center. I would love to see Orlando Brown (maybe you could slide again in Rd 1 and still get him?) and then go after the Center (Ragnow?) in Rd 2. Since I am already on day 2, I would also go after Shaq Griffin in Rd 3.

Biggest issues shored up in the first two days of the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think if we re-sign Bodine center is most def off the table. And I agree, we will re-sign him. I can't see him being a backup. Thus if we take a center it will be late in the draft and it's more likely that will be TJ Johnsons replacement as backup vs anyone that can supplant Bodine as starter.

I will also agree we will get multiple oline help in the draft. We did good to get Glenn, but haven't solved any other problems with our Line.

I don't believe that.  It may be that we HAVE to resign him because we don't have anyone else.

That being said, I highly doubt that Pollack goes into next season with Bodine and a low pick as the Center.  I fully expect to see a center taken at #21 - regardless of Bodine's fate.
Reply/Quote
They need to pick a Center early in the draft whether they re-sign Bodine or not. There has to be genuine competition at this position during camp and preseason.

Bodine knows the system, and I'd be perfectly fine with him as a backup. But if he's our starting Center this season (whether by default or because they don't draft a Center until day three), my blood will turn to boiling tar.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals still have only 3 O-linemen (Boling, Westerman, Glen) under contract beyond this season, and Glen is the only one signed past '19.

So we will still be looking at O-linemen in this draft.  I don't know how high, but I predict multiple picks will be used on O-linemen.

Music to my ears but hope it is early in draft for quality. 

No secret that I want Nelson or Wynn but Nelson will certainly be long gone by 21. 

Believe if OL is fixed we are back in playoffs immediately. But obviously just drafting players does not always work as planned. 

Crossing fingers. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Please sign one of the top free agent centers- there are several- and not Bodine.

They came up with a very creative and un-Bengal like resolution of the left tackle issues. Kudos to Mike Brown on that decision.

Bodine may be a great kid but he is a way below average NFL center particularly against 3-4 defenses.

I am so sick of seeing him thrown back into Dalton's face immediately after the snap.

Getting quality play at LT and C next year is the most important change needed from this team - with improved Linebacker play being the next priority.

Truly fix those three issues and we honestly could be a good team next year.
Reply/Quote
Bodine is garbage. anyone is better than him
move on from this disaster
Reply/Quote
the longer Bodine sits out there the better the deal for us if he returns... If the plan is to draft a Center High keeping bodine around on a backup/fringe start level deal is a smart move in case the rookie doesn't pan out or gets injured...

I'm not comfortable at all if TJ Johnson is the center come june
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:47 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Please sign one of the top free agent centers- there are several- and not Bodine.

They came up with a very creative and un-Bengal like resolution of the left tackle issues. Kudos to Mike Brown on that decision.

Bodine may be a great kid but he is a way below average NFL center particularly against 3-4 defenses.

I am so sick of seeing him thrown back into Dalton's face immediately after the snap.

Getting quality play at LT and C next year is the most important change needed from this team - with improved Linebacker play being the next priority.

Truly fix those three issues and we honestly could be a good team next year.

We won't sign one of the top FA Centers the O line market has ballooned like crazy this year. If Bodine is resigned he would be a decent back up especially if we draft Price who may need a game or two to get started coming off injury.
Reply/Quote
Bodine won't return as backup.

Would you leave a job in an exec position, just to come back as a janitor? While your friends (coworkers) are still around to see the fall from grace?

Nah, you'd just go somewhere else to be a janitor. Save face.

I'll have to see it to believe it. Unless it's a one year deal, and even then he's still starting. It just means center may be taken a little earlier. I think it's a long shot for them to pick a center in the first. I know things may be changing, but they don't think that highly of the position.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bodine won't return as backup.

Would you leave a job in an exec position, just to come back as a janitor? While your friends (coworkers) are still around to see the fall from grace?

Nah, you'd just go somewhere else to be a janitor. Save face.

you don't exactly sign him as a backup you sign him to compete with the rookie draft pick. and then he becomes the backup or should if hes as bad as everyone thinks he is.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bodine won't return as backup.

I don't see any other teams clamoring for him.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:57 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I don't see any other teams clamoring for him.  

It is telling Andre Smith. ANDRE SMITH! Got a two year deal before him.

Reply/Quote
I mean you're right. The Bengals certainly wouldn't go into the negotiation saying, "We'd be signing you to be the back-up center." But at the same time, it seems that Bodine's in a situation where he can't exactly be picky. If no other team comes calling, he'll take what he can get. And if the Bengals can get him back for cheap, that doesn't prevent them from exploring other options at the position during the draft. Have an open competition during camp and may the best man win.

Even if Bodine loses the starting job, they wouldn't have spent that much money on him and he's familiar enough with the system that he can competently (?) fill in should the starter go down. Win-win.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you don't exactly sign him as a backup you sign him to compete with the rookie draft pick. and then he becomes the backup or should if hes as bad as everyone thinks he is.

Exactly, just have competition is all anyone is asking and i guarantee that is what Pollack will do.

If we had PA here still i would believe JJ22, but we don't.

And if we draft a Center early in the 1st or 2nd round i will guarantee the rookie wins out this year.

If not, fine, Bodine proved everyone wrong and got better under Pollack. I don't mind Bodine as a backup for cheap.

Either way, the Center position has been upgraded.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think if we re-sign Bodine center is most def off the table. And I agree, we will re-sign him. I can't see him being a backup. Thus if we take a center it will be late in the draft and it's more likely that will be TJ Johnsons replacement as backup vs anyone that can supplant Bodine as starter.

Like others, I disagree with this totally.  Different OC and OL coaches and different schemes.  For all we know Bodine might start at RG and be a great one.  Pollack might see something in him that Anderson did not.  

The only thing I think we can say is if they resign him they see he has some use.....however assuming he absolutely be this or that is pure speculation.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: It is telling Andre Smith. ANDRE SMITH! Got a two year deal before him.

Although am not a huge Andre Smith fan or hater, kind of in the middle on him. 

Still Andre has a much better resume than Bodine's and should have been picked before him. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Well we'll see (hopefully we won't).

Only way I agree is if it's a 1 year deal.

Reply/Quote