Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everyone likes to complain out being underrated
(01-29-2022, 12:57 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Mahomes has 1 title.  If Burrow got one this year, they're even.  I wouldn't be comparing Burrow to Brady, but to say Mahomes is ahead of him if he gets a ring this year?  I don't know that I'd pass that comment off without some real thought and comparison. 

Lots of QBs have made it to a superbowl and shouldn't be considered the best of the best (Newton, Ryan, Goff, Garappolo, Foles, etc). I think Burrow can definitely be mentioned with Mahomes in the next year or two but one good year doesn't put him in that category yet. He is and should still be considered in that tier just below until he has the sustained success. I thought much the same of Mahomes his first couple years but he's now made it to 4 AFC championships in a row and 2 superbowls, possibly 3.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 05:00 AM)TheFan Wrote: Lots of QBs have made it to a superbowl and shouldn't be considered the best of the best (Newton, Ryan, Goff, Garappolo, Foles, etc). I think Burrow can definitely be mentioned with Mahomes in the next year or two but one good year doesn't put him in that category yet. He is and should still be considered in that tier just below until he has the sustained success. I thought much the same of Mahomes his first couple years but he's now made it to 4 AFC championships in a row and 2 superbowls, possibly 3.

I think there are three tiers to my definition of success.  Accomplishments (the past), Sustainability (were accomplishments a fluke year or continued) and Potential (what could the future hold).  I see (and chuckle over) a lot of comments on players' "ceilings."  "Oh, we haven't seen so and so's ceiling yet."  Which is impossible to know until we're looking back whether a player has reached their plateau of potential.  Potential is fun to discuss because we all like to play the "what if?" game, but it's not a measurable stat in any way.  

I totally agree SBs alone don't determine greatness.  Kenny Anderson and Dan Marino enter into that conversation.  I don't think Burrow can be in any discussion right now for "greatest of all time", but I think if he wins a Super Bowl this season, he can and should be in the same conversation as Mahomes.  And with a little more sustainability in his (Burrow's) play the argument can be made he's better based on what Burrow has been able to achieve with a bad OL and looking at how Mahomes completely fell apart last year when his OL wasn't top notch.  

The game isn't played with just two players, and Burrow is too new in my opinion to talk about where he sits in the big picture conversation.  But among active quarterbacks, if he managed to get a title this year, he should be in the elite group. 

For right now, I'm just excited about the potential of him helping lay a beatdown on the Chiefs at their house.  How sweet that will be. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There is plenty of positive media about the bengals and burrow right now. Seems we only tend to talk about the negative things on here. Seen talking heads favouring us, praising burrow. Seen predictions on big sites predicting we wind
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 09:31 PM)Earendil Wrote: I thought his first name was Kyle...

You are correct, thanks for correcting me. Wondering where the hell I got Gil from lol
Reply/Quote