Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everyone remember how this off seasn started?
Every time the Bengals have a losing season the fan base is upset at the end of the year, but last year even the hard core "homers" lost it when the bengals gave marvin a new two year contract.

Every year I here people talk about how thye are "giving up on the Bengals". Of couyrse they usually come back in a while, but when Marvin got that new contract I actually believed people when they said they were through.

Now just a few months later a lot of people are talking about how they are more excited for this season than any one in recent memory.
Reply/Quote
Some people said the same thing last year, even with our duct-taped-together offensive line and very little addition by subtraction from the previous subpar year. Though I wouldn't be shocked if this year is better than the past two, it won't be anything memorabilia like 2005, 2009, 2013 or 2015. Maybe we'll squeak into the playoffs. And even if we do go on a tear and win the division, well... since Marv is still here, we are going nowhere substantial.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Marvin to prove me wrong for once. But fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me... Fool me for the 16th time? Well... Let's just say I have absolutely no faith in Marvin to win us prime time or playoff games (the big ones). Maybe he'll luck into a playoff win, but as for a super bowl championship victory? Where he has to win 3 or 4 playoff games in a row?? Not happening.
Reply/Quote
Went from disgusted after they kept Marvin to intrigued as they added coordinators to flat out excited as training camp has started. I see ton of young talent.

But I've thought that before.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every time the Bengals have a losing season the fan base is upset at the end of the year, but last year even the hard core "homers" lost it when the bengals gave marvin a new two year contract.

Every year I here people talk about how thye are "giving up on the Bengals".  Of couyrse they usually come back in a while, but when Marvin got that new contract I actually believed people when they said they were through.

Now just a few months later a lot of people are talking about how they are more excited for this season than any one in recent memory.

I'll explain it all in three words--steps were taken.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every time the Bengals have a losing season the fan base is upset at the end of the year, but last year even the hard core "homers" lost it when the bengals gave marvin a new two year contract.

Every year I here people talk about how thye are "giving up on the Bengals".  Of couyrse they usually come back in a while, but when Marvin got that new contract I actually believed people when they said they were through.

I will always be a Bengal fan, that will never change but...

I was disgusted bringing Marv back for sure, i thought we were going to clean house but when PA left and Pollack got
here i had optimism again. Then came Austin, Van Pelt, Bicknell with Lazor being brought back and things were really
looking up. I have kind of always wondered if Marv had enough say around here with PA being Mikey Boy's bud and
him being the assistant HC. Kind of seems like that was the case.

I have to keep saying that until we win a Playoff game under Marv i won't believe we will but with these new coaches
it could be a possibility. Everything i have heard about the entire Offense just sounds great. The Line playing aggressive
and hitting our Defense in the mouth, the WR's tearing it up, Mixon and Gio looking awesome etc.

This will only help a Defense that was on the field all the time last season.

Made the best Offseason moves i can remember this Offseason. Marv had a hand in it i am sure. So i am good with him
right now. We will see how it goes.

(08-02-2018, 12:53 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Some people said the same thing last year, even with our duct-taped-together offensive line and very little addition by subtraction from the previous subpar year. Though I wouldn't be shocked if this year is better than the past two, it won't be anything memorabilia like 2005, 2009, 2013 or 2015. Maybe we'll squeak into the playoffs. And even if we do go on a tear and win the division, well... since Marv is still here, we are going nowhere substantial.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Marvin to prove me wrong for once. But fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me... Fool me for the 16th time? Well... Let's just say I have absolutely no faith in Marvin to win us prime time or playoff games (the big ones). Maybe he'll luck into a playoff win, but as for a super bowl championship victory? Where he has to win 3 or 4 playoff games in a row?? Not happening.

All i remember of those years was we lost in the Playoffs...

Some memories. Hope it is much better this season and with a new O-line coach and an actual running game it could
be much better. I don't think it has been stressed enough how big of a deal trading Alexander for Pollack actually was.

We can see it in Training Camp this year and the Defense can feel it smashing them in the mouth.
Reply/Quote
I have hope the Bengals have pushed a few of the right buttons this off season. I have no illusions it's a completed work and I'm not sure it ever will be under M&M ?

I have some excitement that maybe we've turned a corner ? MAYBE

But we've seen this before, we've seen changes, and it's lead basically nowhere. We've seen them start this before.

Question is ? Can they finish ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't remind us.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All i remember of those years was we lost in the Playoffs...

Some memories. Hope it is much better this season and with a new O-line coach and an actual running game it could
be much better. I don't think it has been stressed enough how big of a deal trading Alexander for Pollack actually was.

We can see it in Training Camp this year and the Defense can feel it smashing them in the mouth.

We shall soon see.

You know, now that I think about it, I have been wrong about something. Countless times over the years, on two different message boards, I've preached that "Marvin is the one constant" with this team becoming choke artists in big games. But hey, assistant head coach, best friend of Mike Brown, severely delusional Paul Alexander was here for all of that as well Ninja

Maybe... Just maybe... The real problem is gone  ThumbsUp

Or maybe not, who knows? We'll see in due time
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 08:45 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: We shall soon see.

You know, now that I think about it, I have been wrong about something. Countless times over the years, on two different message boards, I've preached that "Marvin is the one constant" with this team becoming choke artists in big games. But hey, assistant head coach, best friend of Mike Brown, severely delusional Paul Alexander was here for all of that as well Ninja

Maybe... Just maybe... The real problem is gone  ThumbsUp

Or maybe not, who knows? We'll see in due time

Definately could be, like you said we will see but so far it sure has been looking night and day from that shitty
Offense we had last season. The QB has no time he has no chance, RB's have no holes they have no chance
and neither does the HC or the rest of the coaches.

The O-line is a big deal with your team. If it sucks, your Offense sucks and your D is on the field all the damn
time and will end up not being what they should.

We saw this last season and i think maybe even Mikey Boy saw it. The FO definately did or they wouldn't of
made the changes we have seen.
Reply/Quote
Yes, I was one of those "ready to jump off a bridge" types, after Marvin was retained. However, after the coaching changes started happening, particularly the exits of both Bodine and Alexander, I started feeling a pulse. When you add the coaching and personnel changes, along with how well this camp appears to be going, I'm pretty stoked about the Bengals prospects for the season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Me too. But how can anyone say Marvin shouldn’t have been fired.
Reply/Quote
I've never put a knock on Lewis or Dalton (although I've suggested AJM - given the chance might be the better QB - and that's a different discussion). My biggest beef was the mental errors and selfish attitudes by a handful of individuals that was typified by the meltdown displayed at the end of the Bengals last playoff appearance. I'm not carrying quite the optimism some are during this camp as the offense is still not proven, there is a new D coordinator, and the team is still tolerating issues by players that put the team in a deficit to start with (aka starting the season suspended). 8-8 is still my prediction and anything more than that is gravy.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone know someone who has made good on their threat to leave the boards or quit on the team because of Marvin?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown probably already bought a trophy for himself after he patted himself in the back. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:10 PM)Shady Wrote: Does anyone know someone who has made good on their threat to leave the boards or quit on the team because of Marvin?

I mean besides Carson Palmer? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:10 PM)Shady Wrote: Does anyone know someone who has made good on their threat to leave the boards or quit on the team because of Marvin?

Nope, nobody besides Carson. Once they leave they are pretty much forgotten...

(08-03-2018, 12:34 AM)Shady Wrote: I mean besides Carson Palmer? 

Lol, nice to laugh about it now. I think we are going to have a very good year, could be our best in like 30 years.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 12:43 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nope, nobody besides Carson. Once they leave they are pretty much forgotten...

Lol, nice to laugh about it now. I think we are going to have a very good year, could be our best in like 30 years.

On paper, you'd have to go pretty far back to find a stronger Bengals team. 30 years sounds about right (Boomer et al). 
Reply/Quote
Well, I feel like they earned my interest:

Cordy Glenn and Billy Price with one first round pick. Awesome.

Lazor given a chance to finish what he started, with a full offseason to put it together.

New DC.

Signed Preston Brown

Excellent draft class

New offensive line coach and scheme

No starting players lost

Eifert and Ross healthy and ready to contribute

Tyler Boyd seems to be out of the doghouse and in to the spotlight.

I have seen off seasons where the cupboard was left bare and no significant moves were made. This was the biggest, and hopefully, best offseason in ages. I am beyond excited to see what this team can do now.
Reply/Quote
What would really concern me is if Marvin Lewis really wanted to make offseason moves like this both in coaches and players since he came in 2003 but only now was Mike Brown willing to allow those moves to be made.
I do have to wonder too if a big reason Mike Brown decided to keep Marvin was because he's looking to retire soon and didn't want to have to deal with an unfamiliar HC in his final years of his tenure as owner.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

nothing but knee jerk reactions... people take this stuff way to seriously.
Reply/Quote