Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expect Darren Simmons to be the New head Coach
Bengals front page has an article about how great he has been even though we can never find a good kicker.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
.... F***
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 03:18 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Bengals front page has an article about how great he has been even though we can never find a good kicker.

Typically, his STs units are among the best in the league.  However the past two seasons have seen a pretty sharp decline in 'teams performance.  Although I likely wouldn't want him to be the new HC, I would like to hear him answer some questions in an interview or conference.  I can't ever recall hearing Simmons speak.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 04:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Typically, his STs units are among the best in the league.  However the past two seasons have seen a pretty sharp decline in 'teams performance.  Although I likely wouldn't want him to be the new HC, I would like to hear him answer some questions in an interview or conference.  I can't ever recall hearing Simmons speak.

As opposed to Marvin who speaks without saying anything.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 04:57 PM)Benton Wrote: As opposed to Marvin who speaks without saying anything.

Marvin's pressers can be quite forgettable.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 05:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Marvin's pressers can be quite forgettable.

I have nightmares of giggles. Not as easily forgettable to some. Freakout

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 05:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Marvin's pressers can be quite forgettable.

He's unforgettably forgettable. 

You've seen one of his press conferences, you've seen them all. I can't remember every press conference he ever had, but I will NEVER forget "we just need to play better" as long as I live.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 04:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Typically, his STs units are among the best in the league.  However the past two seasons have seen a pretty sharp decline in 'teams performance.  Although I likely wouldn't want him to be the new HC, I would like to hear him answer some questions in an interview or conference.  I can't ever recall hearing Simmons speak.

Spot on Sunset, always liked Simmons but i don't want a coach that is in a decline in his own expertise.

He does get fired up on the sidelines unlike about any of our other coaches though.
Reply/Quote
Well #$%^ M%$

I guess I'll just Wasted
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 06:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well #$%^ M%$

I guess I'll just  Wasted

Just a fluff piece brother...

When we get a new coach though, Simmons is one guy i wouldn't mind them bringing back even if he has been on a
decline lately. Plus if people are blaming Simmons on the Elliott miss, that was on Elliott missing. It was the right choice
at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.
Reply/Quote
Simmons should put Vita Vea on the watch list to draft. #350 guy just ran down and made essentially and open field tackle on a WR, on punt coverage.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
While he's not my first choice, I'm not writing off Simmon's abilities. If he gets the job, I'll support him until he fails at it. Every great coach starts somewhere. At this point, I am ABM..... (Anyone but Marvin)
Reply/Quote

I attribute that more to the turnover in the bottom to middle of the roster and not having his stabilizing captain on the field for most of that time.

AJ was the only returning receiver in 2016, so we know that not one receiver on ST had prior experience on our return or coverage unit.  Brand new rookie returner, Uzomah graduated to starting TE due to Eifert and Kroft injuries changed CJ's role on the roster.  And to top it off, Peerman went out as well.

There was still considerable turnover in the roster this season as well (and a Peerman IR stint again).

If anything, I'd say Simmons did damn well for what he had to endure in losing his core guys.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 03:18 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Bengals front page has an article about how great he has been even though we can never find a good kicker.

Way to make an assumption based on little to nothing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 09:32 PM)jfkbengals Wrote:
I attribute that more to the turnover in the bottom to middle of the roster and not having his stabilizing captain on the field for most of that time.

AJ was the only returning receiver in 2016, so we know that not one receiver on ST had prior experience on our return or coverage unit.  Brand new rookie returner, Uzomah graduated to starting TE due to Eifert and Kroft injuries changed CJ's role on the roster.  And to top it off, Peerman went out as well.

There was still considerable turnover in the roster this season as well (and a Peerman IR stint again).

If anything, I'd say Simmons did damn well for what he had to endure in losing his core guys.

Well, as the STs coach, he should be used to turnover.  Now, as far as being without Peerman?  He likely should have been preparing for that day coming, as well.  Let's face it, STs units aren't composed of the best on the roster, but the bench players.  If we keep the same bench players for too many years, and their still on 'teams, then something went wrong.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 09:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, as the STs coach, he should be used to turnover.  Now, as far as being without Peerman?  He likely should have been preparing for that day coming, as well.  Let's face it, STs units aren't composed of the best on the roster, but the bench players.  If we keep the same bench players for too many years, and their still on 'teams, then something went wrong.

I understand what you're getting at.  Turnover is obviously expected, but even 50% turnover would be massive.  So when you go into a season with two position groups completely turned over, that does stress the unit.  That's not taking into account replacements from other position groups either.  As we saw last season, things got better as they gained more experience, then really stabilized once Peerman returned.  Fast forward to this year and you have a bunch of new LBers, Lawson, Willis, Malone, and WJIII all getting significant time with special teams.  Things started ugly, but have improved as they have had an opportunity to gel.
Reply/Quote
Expect me (and many others) not to renew season tickets if so. Bengals better at least pretend they are trying something different.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 02:07 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Expect me (and many others) not to renew season tickets if so. Bengals better at least pretend they are trying something different.

While I think most are in complete agreement about hiring from outside, what a shame it would be for you to give up your season tickets without giving Simmons (if he gets the nod) a chance, and then have the team go 12-4 and into the playoffs with the 1st playoff win. Truth be told, no one knows what kind of HC Simmons would be, because he has never been HC..... he may be a turd, or he may be legendary..... the only thing that would make me give up season tickets (if I was a holder, which I am not), is if Merv returns...
Reply/Quote
Just curious has a ST coach ever been promoted directly to head coach?
Reply/Quote
I watched a video on Darren Simmons from hard knocks and he saod i dont pay attention to football at all in the offseason, it's all about farming. That's not the guy I want. I want someone who lives and breathes it 24/7
Reply/Quote