Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expectations for the 2019 Season
I expect the front office to be aggressive in the 1st week.
just awhile back the thought was Hue Jackson was the favorite to replace Marvin.
but Brown surprised many and when outside the organiztion and went young in finding his HC.
so Im thinking with FA the Bengals continue to go opposite of what
we are used to.
there isnt one team in the North thats really dominant.
the Browns won 7 games. ok. wow. how many winning teams did they beat?
their is film on Mayfield to study him now.its not a lock hes going to
get the Browns to 10 wins in 2019.

the Steelers are dealing with drama. they still have glaring holes on defense.Tomlin is in make or break year.
Ben has career year yet they miss the playoffs.they scare no anymore

The Ravens are gambling on Jackson to develop.
into a passer. their success depends on that.

I expect this team to challenge for the North.
Taylor is new and no knows what to expect of this new offense and defense. the cloud of Lewis going 8 24 vs Pittsburgh is gone.
the slate is clean.the old culture gone new one in.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 11:56 AM)Au165 Wrote: Ignorant is lacking knowledge or awareness, not being dumb. To believe that those players who were injured make 0 difference in the win total is ignorant to how the NFL works. As I said if you told me 6 is most likely I'd say hey that's your opinion go for it. When you say 6 is the ceiling you are saying that the loss of all those starters make no difference in next season, with a 4th place schedule coming up by the way, then yes I simply call that willful ignorance. 

Let me say it again. 6 is the ceiling in my opinion until I see differently. Missing starters who weren't playing well before they were injured doesn't automatically translate into more wins. Brown didn't play well, Burfict didn't play well, Vigil was just okay, Price didn't play well, Dalton was who he has been his whole career. 

True ignorance is calling someone ignorant when you haven't offered up your opinion on the subject. You afraid to put it out there or something? 
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 12:53 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Let me say it again. 6 is the ceiling in my opinion until I see differently. Missing starters who weren't playing well before they were injured doesn't automatically translate into more wins. Brown didn't play well, Burfict didn't play well, Vigil was just okay, Price didn't play well, Dalton was who he has been his whole career. 

True ignorance is calling someone ignorant when you haven't offered up your opinion on the subject. You afraid to put it out there or something? 

No.  Not even close.

ig·no·rance

Dictionary result for ignorance
/ˈiɡnərəns/
noun
noun: ignorance
lack of knowledge or information.
"he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"
synonyms:
incomprehension, unawareness, unconsciousness, inexperience, innocence
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 12:53 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Let me say it again. 6 is the ceiling in my opinion until I see differently. Missing starters who weren't playing well before they were injured doesn't automatically translate into more wins. Brown didn't play well, Burfict didn't play well, Vigil was just okay, Price didn't play well, Dalton was who he has been his whole career. 

As it was spelled out for you already, no it isn't.

To your prediction question, I have them with a ceiling of 10 and floor of 4 (basically the range 70% of teams live in) assuming Dalton is back and plays the majority of the year. Anything in between is in play with the roster assuming even marginal improvement from only draft picks. 
Reply/Quote
I'm not expecting much in 2019, to be honest. It's a rebuilding year with a new staff, so that tempers my expectations a bit. Here's what I do want to see though:

Preparedness
Clock Management
Fire/Aggressive playcalling
Less clapping and giggling
Accountability
Tackling (for the love of everything holy, tackling!)

I'm not so much concerned about the final record as much as I am about seeing progress in the intangible aspects of the game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Same expectation I had for ML in 2018

10 wins and a playoff win

Prediction - floor is 5 games and ceiling is 8 wins

Why would I not expect team to produce a winner?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 11:00 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Initially, like many, I had expectations for the 2019 to be one with a playoff appearance being likely. However, I've begun to come down off that perch.

As it stands, I see this team having fits and starts in the 2019 season with the offense sputtering for stretches. The Rams had a few games in the 2018 season where their high power offense was shutdown, the SB being the last and most complete shutdown. Earlier, however, the Bear held the Rams to only 6 points in Chicago followed by a loss to the Eagles.

Translating that to the Bengals and I see the Bengals having several key pieces in place to have a very good offense, but the one glaring problem area is the OL. The Rams are basically better at every position along the OL, except maybe LG. That's a concern for the 2019 outlook.

Mixon, from what I can see on the field, is more capable than Gurley. I know that may sound like a stretch or an outright fib, but Mixon appears to be more nibble and patient to me. So it's not Mixon I have concerns about because of the OL.

My concern lies with the QB, and not because it's Dalton, but because any QB's play is going suffer if he has guys in his face early. Brady was not Bradylike with all the pressure he was getting in the SB. Goff had an Andy like playoff game in the SB, largely because of the pressure NE was able to get against a better line than we have.

I watched the SB again and what caught my eye was the lack of offensive variety by the Rams who have a wealthy playbook. It just looked like NE had schemed away the bulk of the Rams plays.

Then we come to defense. We may end of up with a so-so DC when all is said and done and that's just not going to work. Wake Phillips is a very good DC and that wasn't enough for the Rams to take home the title. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the Rams defense that lost that game. Anytime you hold the other team to 13 points you should be able to expect a win. But the Bengals don't seem to have that strong DC coming in now that Del Rio is out of the picture. Taylor needs a strong DC, even if he doesn't see it at this point in time.

So, at this early point in the off season, I'd be very happy with a playoff appearance and I won't be surprised at all by an 8-8 finish given out last place schedule.
I see an 8 and 8 team and heres why.I whole new coaching staff that will make a ton of mistakes,a defense that needs so many top players and will not be able to get them where they need to be,even with a good draft.. Not sure how good dukeie boy is going to do in this draft,he has busted with fisher and number 70,terrible picks.This O-line will be better,but not good enough.Your lines have to be pro-bowl material across the lines,we are way way far from that.I see us finishing 8 and 8 and this will be a learning experience for new coach.Somewhere along the line these players are going to challenge this head coach and he will have to show that he is the boss.unless they somewhat fear for their jobs,it will be business as usual.There is a lot of players here that are butt-holes,you know who they are and a lot of players that will not change the way they do things,that is going to take a couple years to weed them out.Is this guy the guy for the task??? We shall see,in the meantime,its going to be 8 and 8 if we are lucky about injuries.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 11:00 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Initially, like many, I had expectations for the 2019 to be one with a playoff appearance being likely. However, I've begun to come down off that perch.

As it stands, I see this team having fits and starts in the 2019 season with the offense sputtering for stretches. The Rams had a few games in the 2018 season where their high power offense was shutdown, the SB being the last and most complete shutdown. Earlier, however, the Bear held the Rams to only 6 points in Chicago followed by a loss to the Eagles.

Translating that to the Bengals and I see the Bengals having several key pieces in place to have a very good offense, but the one glaring problem area is the OL. The Rams are basically better at every position along the OL, except maybe LG. That's a concern for the 2019 outlook.

Mixon, from what I can see on the field, is more capable than Gurley. I know that may sound like a stretch or an outright fib, but Mixon appears to be more nibble and patient to me. So it's not Mixon I have concerns about because of the OL.

My concern lies with the QB, and not because it's Dalton, but because any QB's play is going suffer if he has guys in his face early. Brady was not Bradylike with all the pressure he was getting in the SB. Goff had an Andy like playoff game in the SB, largely because of the pressure NE was able to get against a better line than we have.

I watched the SB again and what caught my eye was the lack of offensive variety by the Rams who have a wealthy playbook. It just looked like NE had schemed away the bulk of the Rams plays.

Then we come to defense. We may end of up with a so-so DC when all is said and done and that's just not going to work. Wake Phillips is a very good DC and that wasn't enough for the Rams to take home the title. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the Rams defense that lost that game. Anytime you hold the other team to 13 points you should be able to expect a win. But the Bengals don't seem to have that strong DC coming in now that Del Rio is out of the picture. Taylor needs a strong DC, even if he doesn't see it at this point in time.

So, at this early point in the off season, I'd be very happy with a playoff appearance and I won't be surprised at all by an 8-8 finish given out last place schedule.
I see an 8 and 8 team and heres why.I whole new coaching staff that will make a ton of mistakes,a defense that needs so many top players and will not be able to get them where they need to be,even with a good draft.. Not sure how good dukeie boy is going to do in this draft,he has busted with fisher and number 70,terrible picks.This O-line will be better,but not good enough.Your lines have to be pro-bowl material across the lines,we are way way far from that.I see us finishing 8 and 8 and this will be a learning experience for new coach.Somewhere along the line these players are going to challenge this head coach and he will have to show that he is the boss.unless they somewhat fear for their jobs,it will be business as usual.There is a lot of players here that are butt-holes,you know who they are and a lot of players that will not change the way they do things,that is going to take a couple years to weed them out.Is this guy the guy for the task??? We shall see,in the meantime,its going to be 8 and 8 if we are lucky about injuries.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 09:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The 2019 Bengals are going to roll through the NFL like sailors that just got paid roll through a brothel. AFC Championship game at least..... remember, you heard it here first!!!!

This...

Jeremy Hill just woke a sleeping giant.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 02:56 PM)jason Wrote: This...

Jeremy Hill just woke a sleeping giant.

I'd rather this team wake up because it is sick of being a doormat for the Steelers, but hey...if they want to finally pull it all together to stick it in the craw of an unemployed XFL-level player, so be it.
Reply/Quote

Too early to say, i want to see FA and the draft before i say anything.

Don't even know who the DC, LB coach and DL coach are yet.

Sad Del Rio didn't fit Taylor's vision but Taylor needs to pick his coaches so i am fine with it at this point.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 01:22 PM)Earendil Wrote: I'm not expecting much in 2019, to be honest. It's a rebuilding year with a new staff, so that tempers my expectations a bit. Here's what I do want to see though:

Preparedness
Clock Management
Fire/Aggressive playcalling
Less clapping and giggling
Accountability
Tackling (for the love of everything holy, tackling!)

I'm not so much concerned about the final record as much as I am about seeing progress in the intangible aspects of the game.

Well if we get all of that we should win atleast half our games...
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 09:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The 2019 Bengals are going to roll through the NFL like sailors that just got paid roll through a brothel. AFC Championship game at least..... remember, you heard it here first!!!!

HaHa. I like it. I unfortunately made a sack prediction about last year and have way too much shoe in my mouth for any predictions... Let us all hope you are correct!
Reply/Quote
I want to see improvement... that's all I want. a little will go a long way in the standings.

but especially in the AFCN games we need those wins.
Reply/Quote
A lot depends on free agency and draft but I like our chances. If we can get our offense from the beginning this season and the Defense from the End of the season then they can win it all.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 03:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well if we get all of that we should win atleast half our games...

Pretty much yeah.  Then again, if we go 2-14 and both those wins are against the Steelers, I'll take some solace in a crappy record.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I think we will be better no doubt! I'm hoping for 10-6, I truly believe the talent is there, it just needs some help in key places. I also think we will be aggressive the first week of free agency to keep the fans interested and it allows us to attack the draft:

My expectations:

Free Agency:
1) Sign a proven LB
2) Sign a solid OG/RT

Extend:
1) Tyler Boyd
2) Joe Mixon
3) AJ Green

Cut:
1) Vontaze Burfict
Reply/Quote
I expect Taylor the rectify all the things that made Marvin a average coach.

A-Have the team prepared for all games equally. Step it up for PT. And for Pittsburgh.
B-Never let off the gas. A..T..T..A..C..K
C-Make halftime adjustments.
D-Play your best players regardless on seniority. Don't bench rookies because they fumble or you didn't like the pick.
E-Get in the refs ear when need be.
F-Discipline (bench) out of control players that are hurting the team.
G- Realize Dalton works a lot better in a uptempo offense.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 01:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: As it was spelled out for you already, no it isn't.

To your prediction question, I have them with a ceiling of 10 and floor of 4 (basically the range 70% of teams live in) assuming Dalton is back and plays the majority of the year. Anything in between is in play with the roster assuming even marginal improvement from only draft picks. 

So given the Webster's definition of ignorance that was so astutely posted above,  exactly what lack of knowledge did I have? I'm aware this team lost several starters to injury. But again, it's silly to think that losing starters who weren't playing well in the first place automatically means a team would win more games. My opinion is my opinion bassed on the facts, just as you can say yours is. But nice job going way out on a limb with a floor of 4 and a ceiling of 10 wins. Well done!
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 05:26 PM)Fullrock Wrote: So given the Webster's definition of ignorance that was so astutely posted above,  exactly what lack of knowledge did I have? I'm aware this team lost several starters to injury. But again, it's silly to think that losing starters who weren't playing well in the first place automatically means a team would win more games. My opinion is my opinion bassed on the facts, just as you can say yours is. But nice job going way out on a limb with a floor of 4 and a ceiling of 10 wins. Well done!

As stated above, to believe a combination of the injured players don't equate to even 1 win is what would be ignorant. If you take Vegas's approach to assigning wins, a starting QB is usually worth .5 to 1 win by himself. Most other players aren't worth a half a point but as a sum of all the parts you can EASILY attribute a single win greater to the total with the injured players back if all you did was add back in the QB. 

As to the range, that was my whole point. No one knows what they will be but to say the best possible outcome is equal to this year is....well see above.  Throwing out how you think they will do is an opinion and a fair one at that, placing a "ceiling" equal to this years win total is where the ignorance is because the injuries do play into a projection of success. It may seem like semantics but there is actually some game theory behind this.
Reply/Quote