Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expectations for the 2019 Season
(02-06-2019, 05:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: As stated above, to believe a combination of the injured players don't equate to even 1 win is what would be ignorant. If you take Vegas's approach to assigning wins, a starting QB is usually worth .5 to 1 win by himself. Most other players aren't worth a half a point but as a sum of all the parts you can EASILY attribute a single win greater to the total with the injured players back if all you did was add back in the QB. 

As to the range, that was my whole point. No one knows what they will be but to say the best possible outcome is equal to this year is....well see above.  Throwing out how you think they will do is an opinion and a fair one at that, placing a "ceiling" equal to this years win total is where the ignorance is because the injuries do play into a projection of success. It may seem like semantics but there is actually some game theory behind this.

Yeah, the odds are we will get more than 6 wins this year with the injured players coming back and the new coaches. The Defense WILL be better, cannot be any worse. The Offense should be better under an offensive minded coach etc.

How much more than 6 wins is the question.
Reply/Quote
Asca couple have mentioned
Accountability
Tackling
Concentration, attention to detail
Imagination
Aggressive throughout the game
Learning from mistakes
Adjustments
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 06:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, the odds are we will get more than 6 wins this year with the injured players coming back and the new coaches. The Defense WILL be better, cannot be any worse. The Offense should be better under an offensive minded coach etc.

How much more than 6 wins is the question.

Once again the defense was pretty much healthy last year and on offense we only lost Dalton n Green. Yes we will have Dalton n Green back but unfortunately we have no idea who we will lose to injury this year. My guess is anywhere from 5 to 9 wins this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:21 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Once again the defense was pretty much healthy last year and on offense we only lost Dalton n Green. Yes we will have Dalton n Green back but unfortunately we have no idea who we will lose to injury this year. My guess is anywhere from 5 to 9 wins this year.

Lawson and Glasgow going down didn't help the D. Plus Burfict falling off a cliff.

These two being healthy and adding some decent Linebackers should make this D much better.

And i am not even mentioning the terrible DC...

Adding a couple decent O-lineman, a playmaking TE and players like Mixon and Boyd coming into their own under an offensive minded coach should make the Offense much better. I say between 7 and 10 wins.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:21 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Once again the defense was pretty much healthy last year 

Our three starting LBs missed a combined 19 games with injury.  There was only 1 game where all three were healthy.

At CB Kirkpatrick and Dennard both missed three games.

DT Ryan Glasglow missed 13 games and DE Carl Lason missed 9.

(02-06-2019, 07:21 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote:  on offense we only lost Dalton n Green.   

At RB  Mixon missed 3 games and Bernard 4.

At WR Green missed 7 and Boyd missed 2.

At TE Eifert missed 12 and Kroft missed 12.

On the line Price missed 6 and Glen Missed 3.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 03:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well if we get all of that we should win atleast half our games...

They've been winning close to half of them without doing any of those things very well.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 08:48 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I'll set the floor at 8-8.  We see some improvement but it's still early on.

When I saws this thread that was the number that popped in my head.  We have an aggressive, new young coach, and if we can (fingers crossed) stay relatively injury free, and this team could flirt with a WC.  But at least avoid yet another losing season.

(02-06-2019, 09:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The 2019 Bengals are going to roll through the NFL like sailors that just got paid roll through a brothel. AFC Championship game at least..... remember, you heard it here first!!!!

Got it, several Bengals will be arrested at a brothel.  Yeah, we're overdue.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I think I'd call it good if Taylor could eliminate the Third Quarter of Death. Get 'em to play all four quarters, and they might see an improvement.
Reply/Quote
Well here goes, I see us winning 10 and taking the North Title.
The FO are all in with Zac and for once I see us making big moves in FA.
With us being sweeped by the Browns and a very mediocre Steelers I don't think Mike Brown will be happy to let that happen again.
With all our injured players back, FA & the Draft, I see us getting to the Championship game in Zac's first season
Reply/Quote
Cutting Vontaze Burfict should be top on the priority list and one of my expectations.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 06:02 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: Well here goes, I see us winning 10 and taking the North Title.
The FO are all in with Zac and for once I see us making big moves in FA.
With us being sweeped by the Browns and a very mediocre Steelers I don't think Mike Brown will be happy to let that happen again.
With all our injured players back, FA & the Draft, I see us getting to the Championship game in Zac's first season

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 10:24 PM)snowy Wrote: I think I'd call it good if Taylor could eliminate the Third Quarter of Death. Get 'em to play all four quarters, and they might see an improvement.

A very good answer!
I'd like to add, possibly accepting the opening KO and not putting our D on the field 1st....
Reply/Quote
We need several upgrades in free agency and the draft before I'm willing to think playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 12:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We need several upgrades in free agency and the draft before I'm willing to think playoffs.

And apparently we will have every injured player back and we won’t have any injuries as well. I don’t see how we can start talking playoffs with the only change being at head coach so far.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 12:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We need several upgrades in free agency and the draft before I'm willing to think playoffs.

Well it happens much easier in our parity driven league to flip loses to wins and wins to loses year to year.  Here is a nice comparison

2017 to 2018 improvement in wins:  Browns 0 to 7, Colts 4 to 10, Texans 4 to 11, Bears 5 to 11

2017-2018 negative losses to wins    Panthers 11 to 7, Bills 9 to 6, Jags 10 to 5, Cards 8 to 3, Lions 9 to 6 and Falcons 10 to 7.

So there are 10 teams that either gained or lost 3 or more wins from one year to the next.  That is almost 30% of the teams.  
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 01:41 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well it happens much easier in our parity driven league to flip loses to wins and wins to loses year to year.  Here is a nice comparison

2017 to 2018 improvement in wins:  Browns 0 to 7, Colts 4 to 10, Texans 4 to 11, Bears 5 to 11

2017-2018 negative losses to wins    Panthers 11 to 7, Bills 9 to 6, Jags 10 to 5, Cards 8 to 3, Lions 9 to 6 and Falcons 10 to 7.

So there are 10 teams that either gained or lost 3 or more wins from one year to the next.  That is almost 30% of the teams.  

You'll have your handful of teams that will always be at the top, a handful who languish at the bottom and then all the rest are up and down year after year, fighting for the other playoff spots. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 01:48 AM)McC Wrote: You'll have your handful of teams that will always be at the top, a handful who languish at the bottom and then all the rest are up and down year after year, fighting for the other playoff spots. 

I would again question that.. way too many teams of late are going from worst to first each year.. it is a bit more than just languish at the bottom, just this year you had teams like Colts, Chargers, Bears, even Rams had not been in playoffs much since last 2 years, also what teams have made the playoffs the last 3 years straight?  Patroits and Chiefs are the only teams i believe
Reply/Quote
My only expectation is that our kicker makes 98% of his FGs. If this happens, we will go to the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to throw out a number just yet because I sucked badly last year.
TBS, I'm going to say one word: TACKLING.

Thats good for 3 to 4 more wins in itself...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote