Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expense Report Alert: Bengals Scout Sightings
(11-17-2019, 03:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Going Chase Young in 1 and Hurts or Love at QB in the 2nd could be solid.

Honestly...its hard to say which will be best.

Don't think Love will fall that far, but I'd be so excited if this was the turnout. 

I don't get all the Herbert hate though. I don't think Joe is some can't miss prospect.

Gah, wish this was a year where a guy like Andrew Luck was coming out.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 10:54 PM)thillan Wrote: Don't think Love will fall that far, but I'd be so excited if this was the turnout. 

I don't get all the Herbert hate though. I don't think Joe is some can't miss prospect.

So Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, and Hurts. 1 or 2 will be there in the 2nd Round.

Herbert has a crazy strong arm. He threw a 50 yard rope for a TD.

Burrow might be more of QB that needs the right system to make him work. LSU has great coaching. He won't have that here.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 12:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I do want to point out that people are like 'You don't need to send scouts to in person games with tape'. Clearly the Bengals know that they do...atleast a little bit. As do other teams...or else every team would have only 2-3 scouts.

Watching tape can only show so much.  Attending the actual game allows a scout to get a better feel for how the player reacts in atmosphere, can see his attitude and body language before and after plays, as well as how he conducts himself on the sideline.  Whereas with game tape, you might only see the players lined up from snap to whistle.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 10:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, and Hurts. 1 or 2 will be there in the 2nd Round.

Burrow might be more of QB that needs the right system to make him work. LSU has great coaching. He won't have that here.

Yeah Herbert's got a cannon. I like Joe Goodberry's focus this year on QBs who can create when things break down.

Hopefully the Bengals learn to build around the QB, as opposed to forcing a QB to fit with them. For what I've seen with Burrow though, it's definitely really good. The massive jump worries me though.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 10:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, and Hurts. 1 or 2 will be there in the 2nd Round.

I think Herbert will be the guy when it's all said and done.  He can do just about anything you want a quarterback to do for a physical standpoint.  He seems like a guy that will separate from the others at the combine.  He obviously needs polish, but I think his experience and physical skill set will make him the first qb to go.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 10:54 PM)thillan Wrote: Don't think Love will fall that far, but I'd be so excited if this was the turnout. 

Herbert has a HUGE arm. And he's prototypical QB size.

My concern on Burrow is arm strength...and maybe he's just in a great system with great coaches and great talent around him. Maybe if you put Herbert in that, he'd put up the same numbers?

I don't know. It's pretty hard to go against production/performance though. But, it could be a mistake we make.

A guy like Urban Meyer obviously didn't think he'd be a franchise NFL QB earlier...but guys can improve physical skills.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 11:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Herbert has a HUGE arm. And he's prototypical QB size.

My concern on Burrow is arm strength...and maybe he's just in a great system with great coaches and great talent around him. Maybe if you put Herbert in that, he'd put up the same numbers?

I don't know. It's pretty hard to go against production/performance though. But, it could be a mistake we make.

A guy like Urban Meyer obviously didn't think he'd be a franchise NFL QB earlier...but guys can improve physical skills.

I'm not really sure what you mean about Burrow being a system guy.  Prior to his arrival, LSU was traditionally a run heavy offense, operating out of I-formation and Pro-Sets.  It is because of Joe Burrow that they altered their system, in order to maximize his abilities.

People question his arm strength, yet he's rated the best at both downfield throws and efficiency under duress.

Now, if you just like Herbert better, because you like that he has unquestionably the strongest arm in the draft, is fairly athletic for such a big-bodied guy, and has the most snaps as a starter, I can respect that.  There's just no need to create any "false knocks" on Joe Burrow, in order to justify a personal preference.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The worst thing they could do is talk themselves into liking Herbert when Burrow is leaps and bounds better. I think they are just covering all their bases by scouting him.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
People are really discounting Herbert.
He's basically on the same level as Dwayne Haskins in terms of potential. He would have been the 2nd or 3rd QB drafted last year.
Unlike Haskins, Herbert was smart to go back to college to continue improving on some things.
If the team was able to trade back into the 5-10 range while also acquiring another 1st rounder (and more), I'd definitely consider Herbert.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 11:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not really sure what you mean about Burrow being a system guy.  Prior to his arrival, LSU was traditionally a run heavy offense, operating out of I-formation and Pro-Sets.  It is because of Joe Burrow that they altered their system, in order to maximize his abilities.

People question his arm strength, yet he's rated the best at both downfield throws and efficiency under duress.

Now, if you just like Herbert better, because you like that he has unquestionably the strongest arm in the draft, is fairly athletic for such a big-bodied guy, and has the most snaps as a starter, I can respect that.  There's just no need to create any "false knocks" on Joe Burrow, in order to justify a personal preference.

They brought in Brady from the Saints to be their passing game coordinator at LSU. I'm guessing that helps. Burrow was good last year, but not this good. 16 TD, 5 Int on the year. He wouldn't have been talked about as a #1 pick.

Urban Meyer is on the record as saying that Burrow had a D3 arm. Like I said though, he likely improved it since then. Didn't he go work with a throwing guru?
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 11:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They brought in Brady from the Saints to be their passing game coordinator at LSU. I'm guessing that helps. Burrow was good last year, but not this good. 16 TD, 5 Int on the year. He wouldn't have been talked about as a #1 pick.

Urban Meyer is on the record as saying that Burrow had a D3 arm. Like I said though, he likely improved it since then. Didn't he go work with a throwing guru?

Last year was his first year as a starter, he did quite well overall.  This year he made a huge step forward, along with the rest of his team.  In 2018, he was a strange man in a strange land, leading his team into something that they'd never tried before.  This year, he has emerged as a true leader.  

Burrow being the son of an accomplished HS HC is most definitely a "student of the game", and one of the qualities that I like about him.  He know's the value of putting in the extra work.  And, I believe that you're right, as I remember seeing some of his mop-up action as a roster guy at OSU, his initial throws weren't all that strong and sharp.  In fact, as a backup in OSU's system, his best attribute appeared to be his athleticism.  Now that you mention it, I think I do remember reading an article about him spending time with a personal QB coach, working specifically on his throwing mechanics.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 12:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Last year was his first year as a starter, he did quite well overall.  This year he made a huge step forward, along with the rest of his team.  In 2018, he was a strange man in a strange land, leading his team into something that they'd never tried before.  This year, he has emerged as a true leader.  

Burrow being the son of an accomplished HS HC is most definitely a "student of the game", and one of the qualities that I like about him.  He know's the value of putting in the extra work.  And, I believe that you're right, as I remember seeing some of his mop-up action as a roster guy at OSU, his initial throws weren't all that strong and sharp.  In fact, as a backup in OSU's system, his best attribute appeared to be his athleticism.  Now that you mention it, I think I do remember reading an article about him spending time with a personal QB coach, working specifically on his throwing mechanics.

Yes...so it's possible that his arm strength improved A LOT. Which is great.

I think at the end of the day...he's our pick. He almost has to be.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 12:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hurts 955 so far, he will end up close to 1100, would that count?

(11-17-2019, 12:57 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I really liked what I saw yesterday watching Jalen Hurts..not sure he is coming out this  yr but he has a presence and reminds me of a Cam Newton/Russell Wilson mix.  The only question I have is can he throw deep? Didnt see much of that last night. With Tua going down, Hurts is the only true dual threat QB I see out there worthy of a high pick. I think this guy would level set the Bengals and would allow us time to fix the OL. 

I know a lot of people knocking on him cause he's a runner, but only 5 QB's in the College level have 3k passing yards, he's the 5th in that category, but he has 100 less attempts than any of the others. He's really developed this year into a passer. Sure he can run, but it's not his main objective. It's harder to find deep ball statistics at the college level, to many QB's for them to evaluate, but from what I understand, he's more accurate on his long balls than both Mayfield and Murray, and it's not like by just a few % points, it's double digits more accurate.

I still love how Kiper thinks he's a 3rd or 4th rounder.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 11:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Herbert has a HUGE arm. And he's prototypical QB size.

Lol so much wrong with this post. 

Justin Herbert is thriving more on system, talent around him, and level of competition than Joe Burrow.

Oregon's system focuses on a lot of short passes and screens with a single quick read. Herbert panics a little when he's forced off his spot or has to go through his reads. Oregon has one if the best offensive lines in college football, good receivers, solid run game, and solid defense. They are also in a weak conference the with only two real defenses which is Oregon and Utah who they will likely play for the conference title in a couple weeks. The one good defense Herbert has played this year was Auburn and he looked so very bad.

Joe Burrow has solid skill players but his offense line and defense are not good. He is under pressure alot and thrives. He is accurate at all 3 levels and I'm not talking about completion percentage but ball placement he puts the ball where only his guys have a chance. The guy has incredible feel, field vision, and understanding. Burrow has shined in big moments this year and will have alot more chances against more top defenses.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 03:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Going Chase Young in 1 and Hurts or Love at QB in the 2nd could be solid.

Honestly...its hard to say which will be best.

go chase in 1...  then (while I know we need picks) go ahead and move back up into the first round to get a QB late so we get that 5th year option...
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 12:18 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe they all showed up to get a look at the PSU TE??  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 12:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe they all showed up to get a look at the PSU TE??  Ninja

But we just drafted a PU TE in the 2nd!
Reply/Quote
Bengals were scouting placeholders.
Reply/Quote