Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert picks
If seen a ton of "experts" pick the raiders to win sunday. I love the national perception of this team. It's the old and dalton sucks so I'm gonna predict them to lose. It's really annoying.

Also Chris Berman is probably the worst. He probably won't get a single game right this week
[Image: BernLocksig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I see ESPN's Expert Picks as 9-5 for Bengals. I would say that's favorable, considering Bengals have never won in Oakland (0-9).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It's the raiders tho. They will win maybe 6 games this year. Maybe. It's just annoying to hear year after year these experts pick bengals to come in 3rd behind steelers and ravens no matter what.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 02:07 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I see ESPN's Expert Picks as 9-5 for Bengals. I would say that's favorable, considering Bengals have never won in Oakland (0-9).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks

A history of not winning in Oakland isn't a reason we'll lose. 0-9 history against a team has no connection to why we would be expected to lose to them.
Reply/Quote
I think a more relevant stat than the 0-10 at oakland is that it's been 13 years since Oakland had a winning record.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 02:32 PM)type_stripe Wrote: A history of not winning in Oakland isn't a reason we'll lose. 0-9 history against a team has no connection to why we would be expected to lose to them.

Your point is almost accurate, considering the turnover Oakland has. Given this, New England has made the playoffs 12 years out of the last 14 - so you're saying the past has no inclination for the future (then why follow statistics at all, what happened just a minute ago doesn't matter, you have no way to judge a player or team). Tom Brady is a constant, they will be in the playoffs again.  Cool

Continuity of a team matters, or it's just a random statistic. Example, Cleveland hasn't won their first game in over 10 years. They're just a bad team, but if they had continuity, you'd say they don't know how to prepare for the season opener. Example, if Dalton was 0-10 in playoff games, there would be a reason based on continuity, wouldn't there be?

I do agree history means nothing in this case (oakland, meh); though I remember reading something about how Cincy plays bad on the west coast for some reason (time difference, 4:30 games, etc), but if history doesn't matter, then that's an interesting way to watch sports lol.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I mean untill the bengals prove experts wrong and win playoff games we should expect the criticism
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 02:57 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I mean untill the bengals prove experts wrong and win playoff games we should expect the criticism

this isn't a playoff game though. It's a team that's averaged 4.25 wins a season the last 12 years.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 02:58 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: this isn't a playoff game though. It's a team that's averaged 4.25 wins a season the last 12 years.
Their defense is no joke.  They just picked up Aldon Smith to top it off.  I think they are an 8 win team this year, and will be a handful tomorrow.  Amari Cooper is a star in the making (I bet he torches Dre a time or two tomorrow), and they have a solid running game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
When you are picking all 16 games you can't just go straight chalk. Each guy has to pick a couple of upsets somewhere, so why not the Bengals in a road game?

But the Raiders were really bad. They were dead last (32nd) in points allowed and next-to-last (31st) in points scored. They have added a center and a good NT in free agency. Plus they have a nice rookie WR. But all of those upgrades combined won't move them into the range of a good team.

We should beat them soundly, but I don't care if it is a squeaker. All we need is a win.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 02:53 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Your point is almost accurate, considering the turnover Oakland has. Given this, New England has made the playoffs 12 years out of the last 14 - so you're saying the past has no inclination for the future (then why follow statistics at all, what happened just a minute ago doesn't matter, you have no way to judge a player or team). Tom Brady is a constant, they will be in the playoffs again.  Cool

Continuity of a team matters, or it's just a random statistic. Example, Cleveland hasn't won their first game in over 10 years. They're just a bad team, but if they had continuity, you'd say they don't know how to prepare for the season opener. Example, if Dalton was 0-10 in playoff games, there would be a reason based on continuity, wouldn't there be?

I do agree history means nothing in this case (oakland, meh); though I remember reading something about how Cincy plays bad on the west coast for some reason (time difference, 4:30 games, etc), but if history doesn't matter, then that's an interesting way to watch sports lol.
Statistics show you game by game, season by season. They are a good way to see how a player or a team perform, I agree. 

Pats can make the playoffs, but also its the AFC East and yes they do have Tom Tom. Cleveland not winning a season opener is largely because yes they are bad most seasons. Still though, team history (not statistics) isn't relevant against any team. Players and coaches change, dynamics of the league adjust, etc. Otherwise it would be safe to make the assumption "the Bengals can't win an SB because they haven't won in 48 continuous seasons." And that's an absurd belief to enter a season with.

I heard about the time difference thing. But honestly it sounds like a poor excuse in this age of football, it's not like they are going all the way to London. But since 2011 I think this team has done better than expected, and better than what history has shown going out West. 
Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with picking the Raiders. Its a home game for starters and its opening week which is the most unpredictable one of the year. They have a veteran coach in Del Rio which will help. I dont see them being a playoff team this year, but I see them being in a scrap in their losses.

That said the Bengals are the more talented team. Dont turn it over and we win.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
As a bama fan I can say watch out for Amari Cooper! He's slightly overhyped because he was the focal point of a Lane Kiffin offense, BUT... hes good, damn good. Secondly Michael Crabtree is set to contribute for them as well. I think with these new weapons Carr may be able to move the ball more effectively this year. Hopefully they will still have some kinks to work out in the season opener tho.

If it wasn't a home game for them I'd say we'd win easily but with it being a home game, it'll be a close one for sure. It's time to break that losing streak in Oakland dammit!
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 03:30 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Nothing wrong with picking the Raiders. Its a home game for starters and its opening week which is the most unpredictable one of the year. They have a veteran coach in Del Rio which will help. I dont see them being a playoff team this year, but I see them being in a scrap in their losses.

That said the Bengals are the more talented team. Dont turn it over and we win.

Good thing we don't have a RB who fumbles too much, or a QB that makes ill advised throws.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 03:03 PM)jason Wrote: Their defense is no joke.  They just picked up Aldon Smith to top it off.  I think they are an 8 win team this year, and will be a handful tomorrow.  Amari Cooper is a star in the making (I bet he torches Dre a time or two tomorrow), and they have a solid running game.

There is zero chance they win 8 games this year. No chance. Aldo smith will be suspended probably 8 games min if they don't throw the book at him. They don't have a solid running game at all it was one of the worst last year
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 03:31 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: As a bama fan I can say watch out for Amari Cooper! He's slightly overhyped because he was the focal point of a Lane Kiffin offense, BUT... hes good, damn good. Secondly Michael Crabtree is set to contribute for them as well. I think with these new weapons Carr may be able to move the ball more effectively this year. Hopefully they will still have some kinks to work out in the season opener tho.

If it wasn't a home game for them I'd say we'd win easily but with it being a home game, it'll be a close one for sure. It's time to break that losing streak in Oakland dammit!

Cooper could be a star in the league. But Crabtree, ehh he'll provide the same amount as Jones. Both are possession receivers with YAC. Cooper might be the burner Carr always needed, but Carr will need to move away from the 5yd/attempt neighborhood. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 03:35 PM)BernLock Wrote: There is zero chance they win 8 games this year. No chance. Aldo smith will be suspended probably 8 games min if they don't throw the book at him. They don't have a solid running game at all it was one of the worst last year

Well since this is last year the Bengals will be without Marvin Jones and Eifert.  On the bright side, if it's early enough last year Burfict may play tomorrow.  We'll just have to see.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 03:35 PM)BernLock Wrote: There is zero chance they win 8 games this year. No chance. Aldo smith will be suspended probably 8 games min if they don't throw the book at him. They don't have a solid running game at all it was one of the worst last year

Murray showed promise with his 82 carries last season, lets see how he does for them. But I agree, Aldon Smith is most likely going to be suspended a good portion of the season.  
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 03:41 PM)type_stripe Wrote: Cooper could be a star in the league. But Crabtree, ehh he'll provide the same amount as Jones. Both are possession receivers with YAC. Cooper might be the burner Carr always needed, but Carr will need to move away from the 5yd/attempt neighborhood. 

Coopers definitely a smart system WR. He's not big but he's as fast as they come and he knows how to get open. We bama fans used to sing a song "When the balls in the sky the receiver slips by... that's Amari" You get the point. Defense will have to watch this guy he knows how to get separation.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 02:53 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Your point is almost accurate, considering the turnover Oakland has. Given this, New England has made the playoffs 12 years out of the last 14 - so you're saying the past has no inclination for the future (then why follow statistics at all, what happened just a minute ago doesn't matter, you have no way to judge a player or team). Tom Brady is a constant, they will be in the playoffs again.  Cool

The Bengals are 2-2 versus the Raiders under Marvin Lewis
2 wins at home...2 losses on the road
The last time the Bengals played in Oakland was 2009...There are only 6 players left from that team...Thanks to an Andre Caldwell fumble on the kickoff return the Raiders won on a FG with 16 seconds left..At worst that game should have gone to OT.
The other loss was Marvin's 1st year...There are no players left from that team....Another last second FG and a loss
BTW...Janikowski made both kicks and is still in Oakland

There is no recent history to show that the Bengals should not win this game..Are they 0-10 in OAK?  Yes but what bearing does that have on the current players?
Reply/Quote