Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Extend Eifert?
4 years, 25 million, 10 guaranteed?

6, 6, 6, 7

Could be a convenient time to extend him below market rate.

Then again, now that I am typing this, I think I am dumb for suggesting an extension to a 55% of the time player.

Cut pac man - Sign Andre, Cut pac man, extend Eifert if healthy?
Reply/Quote
Id rather extend Burfict first then Eifert.

If he could stay healthy the majority of the time this season I'd feel a lot better about keeping him around for the long haul. Not saying I wouldn't do it but it'd just give me more confidence Eifert can stay healthy. His ability is there that's for sure.

Really though Burfict is a wildcard too he came into work overweight after being suspended.
Reply/Quote
If they extend him he'll be injured constantly. If not he'll have a GREAT season and hit the FA market for a Brazilian dollars..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's tough. You could maybe get him at a good value now, but it would entail some risk.

Or you could see what he does this year, then either let him walk or franchise him depending on how he performs.

If he's so-so (say he only plays 11 games, but still plays well), his value would probably stay about the same.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
With the amount of money they're not spending in free agency, they better re-sign Eifert and Burfict. Unless the rollover from last year goes straight into the Brown family bank account, they have to be rolling over somewhere in the neighborhood of $12-13m to next year. There is absolutely no excuse if they do not retain both of them. Of course, that probably means both will be gone, we'll re-sign Winston and brag about the comp picks.
Reply/Quote
I guess it's out of the question to draft OJ Howard at #9. Dude blocks well, and is a great receiver. Best at his position in this draft, probably hands down.

We should still extend Eifert, but Eifert seems to be made of glass. It would be great to have someone opposite him for many reasons. Of course, you could make the same argument for taking Ross or Davis at WR, Foster at LB, or one of the safeties (Hooker, Adams, or Peppers). Though we've seen them show interest in Fournette at RB, they're hedging their bets by taking a close look at Mixon. I wouldn't count Cook out, either. I don't see any of the top DEs dropping to 9.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Both sides have to want to do an extension. The Bengals likely don't want to pay a guy millions of dollars to be hurt. Eifert likely wants to bet on himself being healthy in 2017 and cashing in big in FA.

No deal will happen until next offseason. I would be extremely surprised otherwise.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 03:47 PM)Shady Wrote: I guess it's out of the question to draft OJ Howard at #9. Dude blocks well, and is a great receiver. Best at his position in this draft, probably hands down.

We should still extend Eifert, but Eifert seems to be made of glass. It would be great to have someone opposite him for many reasons. Of course, you could make the same argument for taking Ross or Davis at WR, Foster at LB, or one of the safeties (Hooker, Adams, or Peppers). Though we've seen them show interest in Fournette at RB, they're hedging their bets by taking a close look at Mixon. I wouldn't count Cook out, either. I don't see any of the top DEs dropping to 9.

Nice post Shady, if all the top pass rushers are gone at 9 i would definately be for Howard, Ross, Davis, Hooker, Adams, Foster, Cunningham, Reddick, Cook or Fournette. Just so many options for us that would help this team. We need all the help we can get.

To the OP, yeah extend Eifert and Burfict. With Eifert's injury history we could keep him for cheaper than he would normally be worth.

Dude is great when he is able to play, Gronk is injured all the time too but no one can dismiss what these types of TE's bring to the table when healthy. Eifert is the best route running TE in the NFL in my honest opinion.
Reply/Quote
Eifert is a guy you extend as early as possible because truthfully you don't want him to play a full season before you extend him. Because if he does that his price goes up substantially.

I fully expect the Bengals know this and will look to lock him up ASAP. Mike Brown is the king of bargain deals. Having a top 3 TE in the NFL locked up for 5 years at sort of an injury discount screams Mike Brown.

Im actually more worried about Burfict staying in Cincy than Eifert. With that said no one else wants Burfict and were probably the only team that would still have Burfict after all hes done. So I predict next offseason will be quick and painless in regards to signing our own. In Eifert's case it wouldn't surprise me if we extend him during the season, because I repeat we do NOT want him to play all 16 games because if he does he could get up to about 12-15 TDs and 100 yards and 80+ catches and at that point I become afraid that Mike will let the market set his value and some team will throw crazy money at him and steal him.

Eifert is one of my favorite players on the team, if you cant tell
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 03:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Both sides have to want to do an extension. The Bengals likely don't want to pay a guy millions of dollars to be hurt. Eifert likely wants to bet on himself being healthy in 2017 and cashing in big in FA.

No deal will happen until next offseason. I would be extremely surprised otherwise.

In this case Eifert has no leverage at all. We are probably the best contract offer hes gonna get. Mike is cheap but tends to pay his own above market price. I don't think no team will give him as many years coupled with the dollar amount we will give
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 04:15 PM)Housh Wrote: Eifert is a guy you extend as early as possible because truthfully you don't want him to play a full season before you extend him. Because if he does that his price goes up substantially.

I fully expect the Bengals know this and will look to lock him up ASAP. Mike Brown is the king of bargain deals. Having a top 3 TE in the NFL locked up for 5 years at sort of an injury discount screams Mike Brown.

Im actually more worried about Burfict staying in Cincy than Eifert. With that said no one else wants Burfict and were probably the only team that would still have Burfict after all hes done. So I predict next offseason will be quick and painless in regards to signing our own. In Eifert's case it wouldn't surprise me if we extend him during the season, because I repeat we do NOT want him to play all 16 games because if he does he could get up to about 12-15 TDs and 100 yards and 80+ catches and at that point I become afraid that Mike will let the market set his value and some team will throw crazy money at him and steal him.

Eifert is one of my favorite players on the team, if you cant tell

Understandably, dude is great when healthy.

Extend him now, before he shows his greatness. He is the best route running TE in the league and goes up for the ball better than anyone.

He is an athletic WR in a TE body.
Reply/Quote
Maybe the $6 million a year average with a couple yearly performance and health based incentives to bump it up to $8 million a year.

If Eifert really is supposed to be the #2 receiving option, $8 million a year is fair for both sides.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 03:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Shady, if all the top pass rushers are gone at 9 i would definately be for Howard, Ross, Davis, Hooker, Adams, Foster, Cunningham, Reddick, Cook or Fournette. Just so many options for us that would help this team. We need all the help we can get.

To the OP, yeah extend Eifert and Burfict. With Eifert's injury history we could keep him for cheaper than he would normally be worth.

Dude is great when he is able to play, Gronk is injured all the time too but no one can dismiss what these types of TE's bring to the table when healthy. Eifert is the best route running TE in the NFL in my honest opinion.

First off, health-wise...

Games played on average (started):
Eifert- 9.3 (7.5)
Gronk- 11.6 (10.7)

Then there's production when healthy...

Catches (per 16 gms):
Eifert- 53.2
Gronk- 73.6

Yards (per 16 gms):
Eifert- 644.8
Gronk- 1,108.2

TDs (per 16 gms):
Eifert- 8.6
Gronk- 12.4

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gronk is injured a lot, but not nearly to the degree of Eifert, and when he is healthy, he outproduces Eifert by a landslide. They're not really comparable situations. Gronk played the first 42 straight games of his career without missing one. Eifert hasn't even played that many games in his career yet.

Gronk: 4 Pro Bowl, 4 1st Team All-Pro
Eifert: 1 Pro Bowl

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 04:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: First off, health-wise...

Eifert- 9.3 (7.5)
Gronk- 11.6 (10.7)

Catches (per 16 gms):
Eifert- 53.2
Gronk- 73.6

Yards (per 16 gms):
Eifert- 644.8
Gronk- 1,108.2

TDs (per 16 gms):
Eifert- 8.6
Gronk- 12.4

Gronk is injured a lot, but not nearly to the degree of Eifert, and when he is healthy, he outproduces Eifert by a landslide. They're not really comparable situations. Gronk played the first 42 straight games of his career without missing one. Eifert hasn't even played that many games in his career yet.

Hater. Mellow

Gronk doesn't have AJ Green taking his catches away.

Eifert doesn't have Tom Brady throwing him deflated ballz. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 04:20 PM)Housh Wrote: In this case Eifert has no leverage at all. We are probably the best contract offer hes gonna get. Mike is cheap but tends to pay his own above market price. I don't think no team will give him as many years coupled with the dollar amount we will give

His leverage is betting on himself to be healthy in 2017. He doesn't have to sign an extension.

The franchise tag number for TE this year was almost $9.9m. It will be over $10m next year. He's not going to sign for $6-7m when there are currently 12 TE averaging $7m/yr or more, and 4 averaging $9m/yr or more.

The Bengals aren't going to want to pay him as a top TE until he can stay healthy (which is understandable, and I agree). He's not going to take a tiny contract when if he's healthy for 2017, he can cash in either for over $10m on the tag, or for a contract of $9m/yr+.

(My 12 of $7m/yr+ and such isn't fully up to date yet, either, because I know Gresham got $7m/yr and he's not on that list yet.)

Reply/Quote
Eifert's agent's job is to get his client the best deal possible. So why would he agree to a below market deal now?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 04:59 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Eifert's agent's job is to get his client the best deal possible. So why would he agree to a below market deal now?

Because if he has another season where he misses 6+ games, he won't get anything close to 10 mill guaranteed, or 25 mill

It's a risk for th bengals and for him.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 04:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: First off, health-wise...

Eifert- 9.3 (7.5)
Gronk- 11.6 (10.7)

Catches (per 16 gms):
Eifert- 53.2
Gronk- 73.6

Yards (per 16 gms):
Eifert- 644.8
Gronk- 1,108.2

TDs (per 16 gms):
Eifert- 8.6
Gronk- 12.4

One could also argue that Gronk is likely Brady's 1st look, when he's healthy.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 05:41 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Because if he has another season where he misses 6+ games, he won't get anything close to 10 mill guaranteed, or 25 mill

It's a risk for th bengals and for him.

TE contracts this offseason:

Jermaine Gresham 4yr/$28m
Dion Sims 3yr/$18m ($10m guaranteed)
Jack Doyle 3yr/$19m
Vernon Davis 3yr/$15m
Martellus Bennett 3yr/$21m
Rhett Ellison 4yr/$18m ($8m guaranteed)
Levine Toilolo 3yr/$12m

Eifert for 4yr/$25 ($10m guaranteed) is simply not going to happen right now. As I said before, the franchise tag for TE next year is going to be over $10m anyway.

(03-12-2017, 05:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: One could also argue that Gronk is likely Brady's 1st look, when he's healthy.

Patriots 2011 pass catchers:

Wes Welker- 122 catches/1,569 yards/9 TD
Rob Gronkowski- 90 catches/1,327 yards/17 TD
Aaron Hernandez- 79 catches/910 yards/7 TD
Deion Branch- 51 catches/702 yards/5 TD

Rob Gronkowski's best year as a pro came when there was other people taking at least a little attention off of him.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 03:17 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: 4 years, 25 million, 10 guaranteed?

Yes please! (If it can be held that low.)

- And risks come with the situation. A completely risk-free approach won't win the Bengals anything.
Reply/Quote