Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA Signing Game
Bengals have an estimated $61 mill in cap space for 2024.

They have 48 players under contract currently, 17 of which make $1 mill or less.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

The Bengals have the following 20 guys set to hit FA - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/cincinnati-bengals//

For all intents and purposes, the draft will fill out the last few spots, so any re-sign or outside FA will result in some displacement of funding.

Starting spots with impending FAs (incumbent):
- Outside WR (Higgins)
- Slot WR (Boyd)
- TE (Hudson)
- RT (Williams)
- NT (Reader)
- Outside CB (Awuzie)
- LS (Adomitis)

Who would you sign in FA (and for how much) to fill out the remaining roster such that any and all draft picks could be used strictly as depth?
NOTE-1: You can use the "Manage Roster" function on the first spotrac link to do this exercise.
NOTE-2: A tag on Higgins will cost an estimated $20.7 mill. If you choose to tag him, the available cap for all remaining players will be essentially $40 mill.
NOTE-3: You MUST leave AT LEAST $5 mill in cap remaining after FA, which is the usual operating procedure for the Bengals

Who ya gonna sign?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 07:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals have an estimated $61 mill in cap space for 2024.

They have 48 players under contract currently, 17 of which make $1 mill or less.

The Bengals have the following 20 guys set to hit FA - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/cincinnati-bengals//

For all intents and purposes, the draft will fill out the last few spots, so any re-sign or outside FA will result in some displacement of funding.

- Outside WR (Higgins)
- Slot WR (Boyd)
- TE (Hudson)
- RT (Williams)
- NT (Reader)
- Outside CB (Awuzie)
- LS (Adomitis)

Who would you sign in FA (and for how much) to fill out the remaining roster such that any and all draft picks could be used strictly as depth?
NOTE-1: You can use the "Manage Roster" function on the first spotrac link to do this exercise.
NOTE-2: A tag on Higgins will cost an estimated $20.7 mill. If you choose to tag him, the available cap for all remaining players will be essentially $40 mill.
NOTE-3: You MUST leave AT LEAST $5 mill in cap remaining after FA, which is the usual operating procedure for the Bengals

Who ya gonna sign?

I assume that people could work in some of the "Splash Moves" they may want at other positions like those that 

may want Saquan Barkley and cut Mixon.

I am not for or against a Saquan Barkley move at this time but just an example.  

Pay for all their moves so to speak.
Reply/Quote
Here's my stab at it just off the cuff:

Starters:
Tag Higgins ($20.7 mill)
Sign RT Onwenu ($14 mill)
Sign TE Fant ($9 mill)
Re-sign Reader ($10 mill, probably even too generous on that?)
Re-sign LS Adomitis ($1.0-$1.5 mill, which seems to be the typical price for a solid LS)

DJ Turner moves into starting Outside CB, Charlie Jones moves into starting Slot WR.

All starting positions now covered.

Backups:
Re-sign Trenton Irwin
Re-sign two of ADG/Bailey/Bachie
Re-sign Sample
Re-sign Ford
Re-sign Browning

This would fit just around the $5 mill remaining going into the draft and leave about 5-7 backup positions for the draft to fill.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
WR2. Tee Higgins:  9M
RT.  Onwenu: 10M
TE1.  Fant: 7M
NT1.  DJ Reader:  10M
CB4.  Rock Ya-Sin:  3M
Slot:  Currently on the team, Chase/Jones.

39M for my guys in 2024

I extended Tee per Andre Perrotta extension numbers.  I can provide these.

Slot, I see Chase & Tee on the field a lot, with a revolving trio of Irwin, Jones and Iosivas at various spots.

A TE like Fant could also have us in 2 TE personnel much more and only 2 WR.  His contract is modeled after the Ted Karras structure.

Onwenu’s contract is modeled after Alex Cappa’.s deal  He can handle the RT position, however if we were to acquire one Onwenu could be a Volson or future Cappa replacement as well.  His versatility is extremely valuable.

Rock Ya-Sin could be a better than Eli Apple CB4 and could push DJ Turner.

DT is the most difficult position on this list.

* I highly doubt that we go over 20M AAV for a guy like Chris Jones, Madubuike or Wilkins.

* The Seahawks gave up 2 high picks for Leonard Williams last year and they are already in talks regarding an extension.

* Grover Stewart and Sheldon Rankins will be popular, but the Colts and the Texans have more cap space than we do and they will likely keep them.

*  DJ is injured and will likely be unable to pass a physical to start the season.  A guy like Maurice Hurst (2M) could be a filler although his more a DT3 than NT.  Tufele and Tupou cannot be our only NT options.

added:   I would consider switching Mixon's deal for Tony Pollard, unless I knew we were hell bent on drafting Trey Benson.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 08:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: WR2. Tee Higgins:  9M
RT.  Onwenu: 10M
TE1.  Fant: 7M
NT1.  DJ Reader:  10M
CB4.  Rock Ya-Sin:  3M
Slot:  Currently on the team, Chase/Jones.

39M for my guys in 2024

I extended Tee per Andre Perrotta extension numbers.  I can provide these.

Slot, I see Chase & Tee on the field a lot, with a revolving trio of Irwin, Jones and Iosivas at various spots.

A TE like Fant could also have us in 2 TE personnel much more and only 2 WR.  His contract is modeled after the Ted Karras structure.

Onwenu’s contract is modeled after Alex Cappa’.s deal  He can handle the RT position, however if we were to acquire one Onwenu could be a Volson or future Cappa replacement as well.  His versatility is extremely valuable.

Rock Ya-Sin could be a better than Eli Apple CB4 and could push DJ Turner.

DT is the most difficult position on this list.

* I highly doubt that we go over 20M AAV for a guy like Chris Jones, Madubuike or Wilkins.

* The Seahawks gave up 2 high picks for Leonard Williams last year and they are already in talks regarding an extension.

* Grover Stewart and Sheldon Rankins will be popular, but the Colts and the Texans have more cap space than we do and they will likely keep them.

*  DJ is injured and will likely be unable to pass a physical to start the season.  A guy like Maurice Hurst (2M) could be a filler although his more a DT3 than NT.  Tufele and Tupou cannot be our only NT options.

I'm assuming for those FA contracts for Higgins, Fant, Onwenu are not their APY, right?
That's just the 2024 cap hit, with an expectation they'll be higher hits in the future years?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 08:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm assuming for those FA contracts for Higgins, Fant, Onwenu are not their APY, right?
That's just the 2024 cap hit, with an expectation they'll be higher hits in the future years?

Yep.  

See Karras and Cappa's stucutre for Fant and Onwenu. 

Here is Tee's structure:

Reply/Quote
I checked it out, it looks pretty fun. How do you get it to calculate the signing of in-house free agents? For example, I cut the guys I feel would go to the practice squad, and the numbers updated instantaneously. When I went through the Bengals free agents, I chose Adomitis, Browning, Sample and Cody Ford, put in numbers coordinating to the 2024 NFL minimum guidelines, but nothing changed or updated.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 08:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Yep.  

Here is Tee's structure:

I am NOT a fan of those 2026 and 2027 cap hits for Higgins.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 08:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I checked it out, it looks pretty fun.  How do you get it to calculate the signing of in-house free agents?  For example, I cut the guys I feel would go to the practice squad, and the numbers updated instantaneously.  When I went through the Bengals free agents, I chose Adomitis, Browning, Sample and Cody Ford, put in numbers coordinating to the 2024 NFL minimum guidelines, but nothing changed or updated.

I just ballparked something I think they might get.
There wasn't a way (currently at least) to auto-populate something for them.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 08:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I just ballparked something I think they might get.
There wasn't a way (currently at least) to auto-populate something for them.

I did enter values in their salary fields.  If nothing changes, I guess the number wasn't high enough?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 08:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I am NOT a fan of those 2026 and 2027 cap hits for Higgins.

The salary cap is expected to be $282M in 2025.  The thing could be over 300M in 2026 & 2027.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 08:51 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The salary cap is expected to be $282M in 2025.  The thing could be over 300M in 2026 & 2027.

But you're gonna have plenty of other guys to worry about by that point too, including Burrow and Chase.
I just can't justify second pass catcher making that much.
$20+ mill already feels too high to me, personally.
But I'm frugal.
I'd only spend $20+ mill on WR1, stud pass rusher, maybe a stud OT or CB.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 08:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I did enter values in their salary fields.  If nothing changes, I guess the number wasn't high enough?

Dont select Update.  Dont select anything until you are done with all of your cuts/free agents, then select Publish Roster.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 07:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals have an estimated $61 mill in cap space for 2024.

- Outside WR (Higgins)
- Slot WR (Boyd)
- TE (Hudson)
- RT (Williams)
- NT (Reader)
- Outside CB (Awuzie)
- LS (Adomitis)

Who ya gonna sign?

We also must consider "Cap casualties" such as Mixon 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 08:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But you're gonna have plenty of other guys to worry about by that point too, including Burrow and Chase.
I just can't justify second pass catcher making that much.
$20+ mill already feels too high to me, personally.
But I'm frugal.
I'd only spend $20+ mill on WR1, stud pass rusher, maybe a stud OT or CB.

Im not sure it is what I would prefer either, but it is very doable.  In this scenario Burrow, Chase and Tee would remain at or below 35% of the cap in 2026 & 27, a number that matches Manning, Harrison, and Wayne in their prime.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 08:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Here's my stab at it just off the cuff:

Starters:
Tag Higgins ($20.7 mill)
Sign RT Onwenu ($14 mill)
Sign TE Fant ($9 mill)
Re-sign Reader ($10 mill, probably even too generous on that?)
Re-sign LS Adomitis ($1.0-$1.5 mill, which seems to be the typical price for a solid LS)

DJ Turner moves into starting Outside CB, Charlie Jones moves into starting Slot WR.

All starting positions now covered.

Backups:
Re-sign Trenton Irwin
Re-sign two of ADG/Bailey/Bachie
Re-sign Sample
Re-sign Ford
Re-sign Browning

This would fit just around the $5 mill remaining going into the draft and leave about 5-7 backup positions for the draft to fill.
Personally, I would try to keep Chido, DJ Turner is not close to being a full-time starter in my humble opinion.
Reply/Quote
Jermaine Eluemunor RT/OG 29 4.5M
Cody Ford G/T 27 1.5M
Cut Mixon
A.J. Dillon      RB 25 3.5M
Darnell Savage S 26 3.5M
Cal Adomitis LS 25 1.3M
Akeem Davis-Gaither LB 26 3.5M
Trenton Irwin WR 28 2.6M
Tanner Hudson TE 29 1.3M
Drew Sample TE 27 3.5M
Mitchell Wilcox TE 27 1.3M
Jake Browning QB 27 1.3M
Quinton Jefferson DT 30 3.5M
Raekwon Davis DT 26 3.5M

cap space 34M: use for post-draft FA or for JaMaar Chase
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 08:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I am NOT a fan of those 2026 and 2027 cap hits for Higgins.

So trade him after the 2025 season. Hopefully we won a a SB by then and a two year rental is better than 1. Assuming it’s structured in a way that makes that move a sensible one. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

It's a ridiculous structure even if you had a dramatic increase in the cap in the next few years.   You have to consider Joe Burrow's cap goes from 29.7 this year to 48.2 in 2026 and 52.2 by 2027 so that will take over 20 million additional of the expanded cap.  Ja'marr Chase is currently making 9.8 million this year.  If Chase demands 30 million a year that's another increase of ~20 million off the cap space.  That is to say nothing of all the other players on the team with increasing cap hits.  Its just not wise to have that much cap space devoted to Burrow, Chase and Higgins.   

Higgins 32.75m + Chase 30m + Burrow 52.25 = 115 million.  Even if the cap did increase dramatically to 300m that is still 38.3% of the cap space being taken by just 3 players
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 08:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Yep.  

Here is Tee's structure:

The only issue i have with this is people always default to back loading contracts. You have to consider Chase needs to be done next year and if you're going to have 2 guys making money, you need to front load one and back load the other to balance them out. They can afford to pay Tee a big chunk the next year or two because Ja'Marr won't make money for a couple more years. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote