Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FC Cincinnati is building a practice facility but the Bengals still wont
(06-04-2017, 01:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: List the last Super Bowl Champ that didn't have an indoor practice facility. 

Apparently I can't rep you. Guess I'll get you later.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Mike B walked 10 miles uphill to school and back both ways!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Personally, I would have liked to have seen this done awhile ago, but it doesn't make much sense for him to pull the trigger on one now without an extension of the PBS lease or a new stadium plan in place. It would be pretty dumb to build one just to turn around and move the team.
Reply/Quote
Here are some indoor practice facilities in Ohio off top of my head:

Massilon High School football
Ohio State (obviously)
Miami University
Ohio U.
Youngstown St.
U.C.
Cleveland Browns
FC Cinci apparently
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2017, 01:22 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Why do fans care so much about an indoor practice facility lol you're not the ones practicing in cold weather. If he doesn't think it'll make the team better than who can blame him for not spending the money on it? Maybe practicing outside helps prepare a team for games, maybe it hurts them, maybe it has next to no effect on them other than being cold for a few weeks a year? I'd bet the last one is correct, so who cares?

And I'd also like to point out that just because he owns a team worth an estimated $1+ billion dollars does not mean he has, does have, or ever will have a billion dollars to go blow on whatever he fancies. Now yes he's rich and could certainly afford to build it, but I don't think he's nearly as liquid as some people act like he is.

ThumbsUp
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/18/packers-consider-building-indoor-practice-facility-around-lambeau/

The article above seems to suggest a few years ago the Packers did not have an indoor practice facility in balmy Green Bay, WI.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2017, 10:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's not so much that the Bengals will automatically become super bowl contenders if they build a practice facility, it's that you could easily argue that not having one is an extra obstacle they have to work around that they probably shouldn't.

Suggesting it's just something to complain about is only insulting the posters without bringing any facts to the table yourself. The Bengals are one of only 4 teams without a facility, and the other 3 are from warm/dry climates.

I've yet to hear a good argument against having one, and this debate is at least 10 years old. I do think it's silly to to claim Mike can't afford a facility when he was able to buy out minority ownership in the Bengals a few years back, and that cost him in 9 figures I believe.

I'm sorry but if I'm mike I'm not worried about facts against a practice facility. We don't have one and have been one of the better teams in the league for the last 6 years. If you want me to spend $25+ million dollars you've better have a damn good reason to back up this kind of expense. All anyone can really suggest is that it couldn't hurt. It couldn't hurt me to build a home gym but I go to the gym down the road several times a week and it's cheap. Having one in my house couldn't hurt, but is it really worth it?

And I've never said he can't afford one. All I have said is he isn't nearly as liquid as many posters here seem to think. He doesn't have a billion dollars sitting around just because his franchise is estimated to be worth that much

Personally, if mike is prepared to spend more money on this team I'd prefer he do it to hire a good HC or put money into the stadium that taxpayers built. Maybe investing that $25 million for a starter fund for the next stadium. I'd say all of those would be better choices for the money than a practice facility. Like others have said the bengals do use other local facilities at times, keep doing that
Reply/Quote
If MB really wanted to make me happy he'd buy me a new car every year, pay the taxes on it and keep it full of gas for me and pay for dinner every night. 
It hasn't happened quite yet, but dammit I'm still holding out hope. Anny minute now..
Screw you guys and your practice facility..I'm in it for me..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2017, 10:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's not so much that the Bengals will automatically become super bowl contenders if they build a practice facility, it's that you could easily argue that not having one is an extra obstacle they have to work around that they probably shouldn't.

Suggesting it's just something to complain about is only insulting the posters without bringing any facts to the table yourself. The Bengals are one of only 4 teams without a facility, and the other 3 are from warm/dry climates.

I've yet to hear a good argument against having one, and this debate is at least 10 years old. I do think it's silly to to claim Mike can't afford a facility when he was able to buy out minority ownership in the Bengals a few years back, and that cost him in 9 figures I believe.

It is just laughable they dont have one, but then again it is pretty fitting. They have been laughable ever since Paul passed with the high water mark being Carson's pass to Henry only to get his knee blown out.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2017, 09:48 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I'm sorry but if I'm mike I'm not worried about facts against a practice facility. We don't have one and have been one of the better teams in the league for the last 6 years. If you want me to spend $25+ million dollars you've better have a damn good reason to back up this kind of expense. All anyone can really suggest is that it couldn't hurt. It couldn't hurt me to build a home gym but I go to the gym down the road several times a week and it's cheap. Having one in my house couldn't hurt, but is it really worth it?

And I've never said he can't afford one. All I have said is he isn't nearly as liquid as many posters here seem to think. He doesn't have a billion dollars sitting around just because his franchise is estimated to be worth that much

Personally, if mike is prepared to spend more money on this team I'd prefer he do it to hire a good HC or put money into the stadium that taxpayers built. Maybe investing that $25 million for a starter fund for the next stadium. I'd say all of those would be better choices for the money than a practice facility. Like others have said the bengals do use other local facilities at times, keep doing that

This...

Now get yo' asses outside and practice.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2017, 09:48 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I'm sorry but if I'm mike I'm not worried about facts against a practice facility. We don't have one and have been one of the better teams in the league for the last 6 years. If you want me to spend $25+ million dollars you've better have a damn good reason to back up this kind of expense. All anyone can really suggest is that it couldn't hurt. It couldn't hurt me to build a home gym but I go to the gym down the road several times a week and it's cheap. Having one in my house couldn't hurt, but is it really worth it?

Going a bit off topic here but YES a home gym is worth it. I recently made the splurge (wasn't all that expensive really, use Craigslist and garage sales. People practically give equipment away) and made one of our spare rooms into a home gym. Complete with a weight bench, pull up bar, squat rack, barbells, weight plates, curl bar, adjustable dumbells, a treadmill and a stair climber. Goodbye to gym membership payments, overcrowded lines for equipment, musty locker rooms, people who don't understand what deodorant is for, loud meat heads, mouth breathers, ignorant personal trainers and "crossfitters". I've had this setup for about 5 months now and it's by far the best investment I've ever made. I highly recommend it  ThumbsUp  
Reply/Quote
The Bengals should just build a covered stadium with a retractable roof to replace PBS. That will cover their indoor practice facility need and also make it more comfortable for fans in the hot part of September and cold part of December/January. Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2017, 12:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals should just build a covered stadium with a retractable roof to replace PBS. That will cover their indoor practice facility need and also make it more comfortable for fans in the hot part of September and cold part of December/January.  Ninja

Agreed 100%. The next stadium should absolutely be covered, preferably with a retractable roof
Reply/Quote

...and each of those 5 years ended in playoff disappointment...and last year we won 6 games...and we haven't won a playoff game in 25 years...and we have one of the worst records in the league over that span. Maybe Mike should do anything in his power to be on even footing with other teams? Why do we assume that Mike Brown (of all people) knows better than everyone else? Are these other teams (basically the rest of the league) fools for such wasteful spending?

We had a few players (including Dalton) come down with the flu a few years back after practicing in snow all week. For a playoff game that was played indoors in Texas. Whitworth has said it was nice to practice indoors where you can get your footing, receivers can make proper cuts and you don't have to worry about slipping and injuring yourself. The benefits to practicing (and installing precise game plans) out of the elements are pretty obvious. It's just whether or not people choose to see them or not.

Now there's my argument on why we need one. Outside of "Mike Brown can't afford it", what's your specific argument against having one?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

I suppose the easy answer is your players deserve it. I watched a special the other day on the 49ers Dynasty under Eddie DeBartolo and one of the bigger reasons for it was Eddie treated his players like royalty. Conversely we send players out to practice under a bridge during an ice storm or call up a lower-tier college team and ask if they aren't using their practice bubble can we bum it . If they are using it we can go to the local indoor recreational soccer field. 

Players will say it doesn't matter and they probably think it does not, but deep down when everything is on the line, you know if your boss has done all he can for you and you'll do all you can for him. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2017, 01:19 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Beat me to it. But I doubt FC Cincy would allow that. They'll probably just tell the old man to f*** off and get his own.

And seriously, folks... In this day and age a division 2 soccer club can afford to build a practice facility but an NFL franchise can't? Is Mike really that cheap/stubborn/ignorant? Granted, we may not "need" a practice facility but it's the principal of the matter. It's not overly expensive and it literally couldn't hurt the team, it could only help.

In a word: Yes.

Mike Brown is that stubborn/cheap. We all know this. He counts hot dogs for fuks sake.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown doesn't want to build one and an indoor practice facility isn't technically required for an NFL team. That's really all there is to it. The cap floor was invented for owners like Mike Brown and someday the Bengals might get their own legit practice facility when Mike Brown is no longer the owner, or when the players demand it in a bargaining agreement.

Until then? Well, just convince yourself that playing in the snow all week gets the team extra ready to play in a dome or souther CA or something because magic.
Reply/Quote
If people wont to be upset about not having one that's fine a lot of teams do but I really don't believe that's the reason why the team hasn't had more success.
Reply/Quote
I think the reason to build it, is because in cold nasty weather, you can still have a very good week of practice and preparation.

Late November, December and January are the time for key games in a championship drive and on through the playoffs. Practicing well and and getting careful preparation become more important, and to me there is no doubt an indoor facility certainly improves that situation.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2017, 01:19 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Beat me to it. But I doubt FC Cincy would allow that. They'll probably just tell the old man to f*** off and get his own.

And seriously, folks... In this day and age a division 2 soccer club can afford to build a practice facility but an NFL franchise can't? Is Mike really that cheap/stubborn/ignorant? Granted, we may not "need" a practice facility but it's the principal of the matter. It's not overly expensive and it literally couldn't hurt the team, it could only help.

I really hope they do tell him to take a hike if he asks.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote