Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan-Valuation #1 D-Line
Thought I'd start a series for us to share our thoughts on our evaluations of the various position groups currently on the roster.

How would you grade the unit as a whole?

Who's going to make the 53? Who's not?

Who are you most psyched about?

Here's the list

Andrew Brown DE

Carlos Dunlap DE

Sam Hubbard DE

Khalid Kareem DE

Carl Lawson DE

D.J. Reader DE

Freedom Akinmoladun DT

Geno Atkins DT

Tyler Clark DT

Ryan Glasgow DT

Josh Tupou DT

Renell Wren DT
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 03:08 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Thought I'd start a series for us to share our thoughts on our evaluations of the various position groups currently on the roster.

Here's the list

Andrew Brown DE

Carlos Dunlap DE

Sam Hubbard DE

Khalid Kareem DE

Carl Lawson DE

D.J. Reader DE

Freedom Akinmoladun DT

Geno Atkins DT

Tyler Clark DT

Ryan Glasgow DT

Josh Tupou DT

Renell Wren DT

Brown, Akinmoladun and Clark don't make the game day 53, but we get more players this year, so maybe they make the game day roster. I'm not sure what the number is this year.
Reply/Quote
We'll definitely keep 9. 10 is iffy.

I feel really good about our line, whether a 3, 4 or 5 man front:

- Dunlap, Lawson and Hubbard are still top-notch pass-rushers.
- Kareem is another MJ, I feel (just shorter, of course), so him as depth is a good thing.
- Our DTs are superb, with Read/Tupou being a fantastic NT pairing and Geno is Geno, of course.
- Depth-wise, we are in great shape, as we have a lot of quality even in the back-end.

Dline is still (probably) the strongest position group on the team, with WR and CB nipping at their heels.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Quote:And there will be more players to do so with. Though the roster limit will continue to be 53 for 2020, two players from the practice squad may be brought up to increase roster sizes to 55 on gameday, with those two players reverting back to the practice squad after gameday. Practice squads will also be increased in size from 10 players to 12 beginning this season.
Active gameday rosters will also grow from 46 to 48, provided one of those extra players activated is an offensive lineman.

This throws a little more crap in the gameplan.
Reply/Quote
As a whole they've got to be top 5 in the league depending on how you rate 4-3 vs 3-4, especially with Cincy playing some variation. The key is they have a young star and two stars with something left and a possible rising star in Hubbard starting. The depth is where it is supposed to be. No more hoping for projects like Wren to man a key rotational spot, but he has to fight guys like Brown and Kareem for PT and the best man wins.
Reply/Quote
I am most excited about Reader and how he can free up the rest of the guys to make plays.

Atkins, Reader, Tupou, Wren, Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson, Kareem, Brown are the guys I see making the main roster.

Definitely one of the best DL's in the NFL, top 5. I think it has been unfair to the DL how bad our Linebackers have been
the last few years. It doesn't matter how good the DL is if the QB just can drop the ball off to the RB, TE or WR and they
just keep converting first downs cause the LB's cannot tackle or cover worth a lick.
Reply/Quote
The Biggest impact will always be Geno if he is still Geno then this unit is going to Explode if not it is still a good unit.
Best player- Geno- Carlos and Carl can give a pretty good Argument but Geno is still King until he retires.
Biggest Surprise- Andrew Brown- It says a lot about their Confidence in him that they didn't draft a 3T in this year's draft. I expect a major season from him 5-7 sacks, 10 + QB Hits, and 10+ TFLs.
Breakout- Lawson- If he stays Healthy he will have 15-20 sacks, 30+ QB Hits, +10 TFLs
Newcomer- DJ Reader- he was a top 25 PFF player in pass rush and Rush defense last season. His presence should not only make it easier on the rest of the line but the LBers as well.
Rating A+
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Reader is a DE
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 03:08 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Thought I'd start a series for us to share our thoughts on our evaluations of the various position groups currently on the roster.

Here's the list

Andrew Brown DE

Carlos Dunlap DE

Sam Hubbard DE

Khalid Kareem DE

Carl Lawson DE

D.J. Reader DE

Freedom Akinmoladun DT

Geno Atkins DT

Tyler Clark DT

Ryan Glasgow DT

Josh Tupou DT

Renell Wren DT

These guys plus 1 or 2 more i think.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 03:42 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Reader is a DE

He's a DT FFS.

He played DE in a 3-4 predominantly, last year.

But he's a DT, stop it.
Reply/Quote

WTF
Reply/Quote

Here's the list

Andrew Brown DE

Carlos Dunlap DE

Sam Hubbard DE

Khalid Kareem DE

Carl Lawson DE

D.J. Reader DE

Freedom Akinmoladun DT

Geno Atkins DT

Tyler Clark DT

Ryan Glasgow DT

Josh Tupou DT

Renell Wren DT

We go with 8 with 3/4  need more LBS now... I feel high on this position
Reply/Quote
Hilarious Hilarious
Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 04:02 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He's a DT FFS.

He played DE in a 3-4 predominantly, last year.

But he's a DT, stop it.

BTW, I went off the official team roster.    ThumbsUp
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 06:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We go with 8 with 3/4  need more LBS now...  I feel high on this position

3-4 vs 4-3 is an overrated argument because were going to play 70% Nickel. So we're going to be playing in a 4-2-5 most of the time anyways.
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 08:50 PM)J24 Wrote:  3-4 vs 4-3 is an overrated argument because were going to play 70% Nickel. So we're going to be playing in a 4-2-5 most of the time anyways.

And that's the correct answer.

We had VERY few 3 man front Nickel looks last year and I do remember seeing it infrequently, but if we're rushing the passer, we will be using a 4 man front for sure.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 03:23 PM)J24 Wrote: Best player- Geno- Carlos and Carl can give a pretty good Argument but Geno is still King until he retires.

Hubbard has been twice the player Lawson has....
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 08:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hubbard has been twice the player Lawson has....

Agreed, Lawson just cannot stay healthy. Hubbard is way more versatile than Lawson too who is a one trick pony at this point.

Damn good pass rusher when healthy though. But so is Hubbard and Hubbard has stayed healthy for the most part.

Hubbard can stop the run, rush the passer, drop into coverage and play multiple positions. DE, DT, LB, FB...
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 08:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hubbard has been twice the player Lawson has....

(04-30-2020, 05:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed, Lawson just cannot stay healthy. Hubbard is way more versatile than Lawson too who is a one trick pony at this point.

Damn good pass rusher when healthy though. But so is Hubbard and Hubbard has stayed healthy for the most part.

Hubbard can stop the run, rush the passer, drop into coverage and play multiple positions. DE, DT, LB, FB...

Hubbard is a good all  around player but Lawson is the superior Pass Rusher of the two. People are going to be surprised when he leads the League in Sacks this Season.
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 05:55 PM)J24 Wrote: Hubbard is a good all  around player but Lawson is the superior Pass Rusher of the two. People are going to be surprised when he leads the League in Sacks this Season.

Yeah, Lawson is a better pass rusher than Hubbard when healthy. Hope you are correct that would be awesome.
Reply/Quote