Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fantastic Four
Wow... that movie was... AWFUL.

No heart, no plot, no character development.

Michael B Jordan was a great Johnny and I thought it was good making him and Sue adoptive siblings so that both actors could be used. I also liked Miles Teller as a young Reed.

The guy who played Ben was "meh". He didn't bring anything to the character like Chiklis did.

This review will have spoilers:

I liked the idea of having these characters be young, but they should have had Reed coming right out of one of the many colleges he went to instead of coming out of high school. They did a good job with having Victor work alongside them and view Reed as an intellectual rival, but there was no real development between the characters. Ben isn't annoyed with Johnny's antics. Reed has one scene when he seems to like Sue and that's it.

the first 45 minutes of the 100 minute long movie to develop their powers. It would be another 35 minutes before Victor returns as "Doom". So with 20 minutes left, we now have a villain. It isn't until there's 13 minutes left that Doom threatens the planet and he is stopped within 8 minutes. The final confrontation is a failed attack by each individual and then one unified attack. With the final 5 minutes, they return to Earth and get their headquarters (which isn't the Baxter building).

Now how long until Fox sells this back to Marvel/Disney?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They also never really explain what Doom can do. He just does a lot of crazy shit

Reply/Quote
It didnt even beat out Mission Impossible 10. It will go down as one of the bigger flops. So far it brought in 26.2m per IMDB, and it had a production cost of 122m.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Heck might go down as one of the biggest flops.

No way that Fox will greenlight a sequel of any sorts anytime soon. They pretty much have 2 options:

1) Insert the Fantastic 4 into the X-men/Deadpool movies

2) Sell 'em to MCU.

Fantastic 4 will be in the MCU soon enough.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 07:25 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: No way that Fox will greenlight a sequel of any sorts anytime soon. They pretty much have 2 options:

Constantin Film Produktion held the film rights for Fantastic Four starting in 1983. Their deal would expire in the early nineties if they didn't produce a movie.  By 1992 they hadn't made anything, so to keep the rights they produced a Fantastic Four movie that they finished in 94. It looked like this:

[Image: 214000-fantastic-four-roger-corman-1994.jpg?1417801558]

It's never officially been released, but they kept the rights throughout the 90's because of it. (Side note: this movie is awesome. I mean, it's awful.  But it's so awesome. if you have a chance to see it, see it)

Anyway, this new FF movie kind of strikes me as being they same way: Fox needs to keep making FF movies to keep the rights. So they'll make a new one at some point, i.e. when they have to.

I think they'll also be watching to see how the Spider-Man deal works out for Sony.  If that makes a bunch of money, then Fox may look for a similar deal with Disney.
Reply/Quote
I'll be running out to buy tickets for this one for sure! Not.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I didn't like the look of the trailers, I hated the way The Thing looked and thought it was stupid that he was naked. I wasn't planning on seeing it, maybe wait until DVD/Blu-Ray but then I saw the Rotten Tomatoes score, 9%! Yikes! I don't think the other 2 were rated any where near that low.

I just checked. The 2005 one is rated 27% and the 2007 sequel is 37%. Which is weird because I prefer the 05 one. Not that either are any good, but I thought Rise of the Silver Surfer was just plain awful.

Reply/Quote
Part of the strength of the Marvel movies is making 20 years of backstory into a 2 minute part of the movie. That's part of where the DC, Fox and Sony movies fail. I wasn't planning on watching this one, doesn't sound like I'm going to miss much.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 11:15 PM)Bryan Wrote: I didn't like the look of the trailers, I hated the way The Thing looked and thought it was stupid that he was naked. I wasn't planning on seeing it, maybe wait until DVD/Blu-Ray but then I saw the Rotten Tomatoes score, 9%! Yikes! I don't think the other 2 were rated any where near that low.

I just checked. The 2005 one is rated 27% and the 2007 sequel is 37%. Which is weird because I prefer the 05 one. Not that either are any good, but I thought Rise of the Silver Surfer was just plain awful.

I watched the 2005 version today for the first time in 8 or so years. Definitely better than the new one. 

I forgot that Chris Evans was the perfect Johnny Storm. 

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 07:18 PM)Millhouse Wrote: It didnt even beat out Mission Impossible 10. It will go down as one of the bigger flops. So far it brought in 26.2m per IMDB, and it had a production cost of 122m.

Maybe because mission impossible freaking rocks  Rock On

That said. I find it hilarious how bad this movie is. I do kinda feel bad for anyone who has wasted their time and money going to see this. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Based on the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about my weenus.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 11:15 PM)Bryan Wrote: I didn't like the look of the trailers, I hated the way The Thing looked and thought it was stupid that he was naked. I wasn't planning on seeing it, maybe wait until DVD/Blu-Ray but then I saw the Rotten Tomatoes score, 9%! Yikes! I don't think the other 2 were rated any where near that low.

Cool sig!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 12:00 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I watched the 2005 version today for the first time in 8 or so years. Definitely better than the new one. 

I forgot that Chris Evans was the perfect Johnny Storm. 
Yeah Chris Evans is a really good actor. He doesn't get enough credit. 
(08-10-2015, 01:09 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Cool sig!

Thank you. ExtraRadiohead made it.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 01:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Based on the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about my weenus.

Inches or centimeters?  Ninja

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Human Torch was the best part honestly. The only bright spot in this movie in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
I've never been interested in the Fantastic 4, but I am interested in Dr. Doom. I have no idea why both versions decided to destroy everything that makes him amazing.

Also, even if Marvel gets the rights back, I think the reputation of those movies is so down that anything will flop
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 01:04 AM)eoxyod Wrote: I've never been interested in the Fantastic 4, but I am interested in Dr. Doom. I have no idea why both versions decided to destroy everything that makes him amazing.

Also, even if Marvel gets the rights back, I think the reputation of those movies is so down that anything will flop

Marvel will play it like Spidey. 
Slowly work them in. Not a solo movie. Put them in other movies...then a solo movie. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 01:04 AM)eoxyod Wrote: I've never been interested in the Fantastic 4, but I am interested in Dr. Doom. I have no idea why both versions decided to destroy everything that makes him amazing.

It is amazing that nobody can get a handle on one of the best villains in comics; maybe they need to not put him in the first FF movie, assuming there is ever another FF flick.  It worked pretty well for the Joker in the Dark Knight franchise.

Have the team get their powers in the Negative Zone, like they basically did in this flick, and then fight Annihlus (sp?) and his alien army.  They could lay the groundwork of who Doom is and what he can do in the first flick; maybe he helps win the day but something happens that turns him EVIL.  Second movie is the FF vs. Doom.

It would probably help if the people making the movies had more than a passing knowledge of the source material.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 08:15 AM)nevergonnachange Wrote: It is amazing that nobody can get a handle on one of the best villains in comics; maybe they need to not put him in the first FF movie, assuming there is ever another FF flick.  It worked pretty well for the Joker in the Dark Knight franchise.

Have the team get their powers in the Negative Zone, like they basically did in this flick, and then fight Annihlus (sp?) and his alien army.  They could lay the groundwork of who Doom is and what he can do in the first flick; maybe he helps win the day but something happens that turns him EVIL.  Second movie is the FF vs. Doom.

It would probably help if the people making the movies had more than a passing knowledge of the source material.

That would have been a better way to handle it. Or any of the ones along those lines.

But agreed with you and Eox, I never understood why they felt the need to change the characters. Doom's story is what makes him cool, not the metal suit and constant fist shaking. I knock the X-men movies a lot, but one think I did think they got right was Magneto. Probably my favorite villain when I was a kid and they did him justice. Overconfident, Holocaust survivor, genuinely doesn't want to hurt his own kind. They could have just given him a German accent to make him seem scary, but they did pretty good.
Reply/Quote