Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Bible passage?
Let's put the R back in P&R. And it doesn't have to be the Bible. Any religious writing. Even if you don't believe in God, I imagine there are plenty of passages that you can relate to.

Mine is:

Quote: “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

Now I will say that I don't come near to doing this as well as I should. Although I don't believe in hell, I don't want to be the proverbial "Road to hell is paved with good intentions" guy. So when a chance to help comes up, I think of this passage.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Romans 8:28 (always has been)

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Ephesians 4:
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
Leviticus 20:27 “‘A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.’”
2 Corinthians 5:7

For we walk by faith, not by sight
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Galatians 6:7-9King James Version (KJV)

7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
The passages where Jesus says that just having noble actions is not good enough, where you have to be pure in your mind and spirit as well. It really helps with not getting too full of yourself when you are doing okay and keeps you honest and humble imo.
[/url]
Quote:[url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+13%3A34-35&version=NIV]John 13:34-35 [Full Chapter]

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
A favorite of mine that has always helped me to be more of an encourager to others is:
"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." - Proverbs 12:25

One I find powerful that just fills me up spirtiuatlly:
"...that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord." - Philippians 2:10-11
“Do you read the Bible, Brett? Well there’s this passage I’ve got memorized – sort of fits this occasion. Ezekiel 25:17.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.”

PS........the above isn't even in the Bible.  Its actually multiple biblical themes grouped together and dreamed up by Tarantino. Pretty much all of the themes Jackson’s passage incorporates are found in different places in the Bible, but they are all re-workings, not true to the original text. The portion of the monologue about the tyranny of evil men is inspired by Ezekiel 34. The portion about the valley of darkness refers to King David’s words in Psalm 23, and the portion about being one’s brother’s keeper refers to the first human death, occurring in Genesis 4, in which Cain, after murdering his brother, asks the LORD, “Am I my brother’s keeper?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

I don't know why, but I felt this is the place to share it. Did you know the Bible is sort of misquoted in Ghostbusters (the good one)? Near the end Ray and Winston are driving in the Ecto-1 and talking about the Bible and Ray quotes Revelation 7:12. Except he doesn't. He quotes Revelation 6:12. Always bothered me for some reason.

And yes, i know that's not a misquote but a mis-reference, but still ...
(09-30-2016, 01:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't know why, but I felt this is the place to share it. Did you know the Bible is sort of misquoted in Ghostbusters (the good one)? Near the end Ray and Winston are driving in the Ecto-1 and talking about the Bible and Ray quotes Revelation 7:12. Except he doesn't. He quotes Revelation 6:12. Always bothered me for some reason.

And yes, i know that's not a misquote but a mis-reference, but still ...

There is a lot of misquotes of the Bible in the movies and on TV. And it will continue because the misquoted things are what people who haven't read the Bible want to believe it says. In an indirect way, this is a truth that Tarantino hit upon by just outright creating his own quote and admitting to it. He knew people generally wouldn't care.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
This is the one that is on my Facebook page under my favorite quotes:

Quote:"The man who puts on his armor should not brag. It's the man who lives to take it off who has the right to brag."

Kings 20:11

Not the full verse, but my favorite part.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-30-2016, 02:23 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: There is a lot of misquotes of the Bible in the movies and on TV. And it will continue because the misquoted things are what people who haven't read the Bible want to believe it says. In an indirect way, this is a truth that Tarantino hit upon by just outright creating his own quote and admitting to it. He knew people generally wouldn't care.

I recall there being some kind of quiz where you had to quess if the verse was from the Bible or Shakesphere.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

God said to Abraham; "You will kill your son Isaac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear You, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "I'm sorry, is this better? Check check... check. Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."
(09-30-2016, 12:53 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: “Do you read the Bible, Brett? Well there’s this passage I’ve got memorized – sort of fits this occasion. Ezekiel 25:17.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.”

Now... I been sayin' that shit for years. And if you ever heard it, that meant your ass. You'd be dead right now. I never gave much thought to what it meant. I just thought it was a cold-blooded thing to say to a ************ before I popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some shit this mornin' made me think twice. See, now I'm thinking: maybe it means you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here... he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could mean you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. And I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Here are a couple of my favorites

Mat 5:7 Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

and

Deut. 3:6 And we utterly destroyed them, as we did unto Sihon king of Heshbon, utterly destroying the men, women, and children, of every city.
(10-02-2016, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here are a couple of my favorites

Mat 5:7  Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

and

Deut. 3:6 And we utterly destroyed them, as we did unto Sihon king of Heshbon, utterly destroying the men, women, and children, of every city.
So clever! Clapping
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall