Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Favorite Newest Bengal
(05-20-2016, 08:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Even if you've never seen it, you've seen Burkhead and Shipley, aka... 2/3 of the Bengals' white WRs I can recall in Marvin's tenure. (Matt Jones doesn't count, he never made the opening day roster.) That seems like it's still pretty damning. You can't even say it's a short thing. Shipley is 6'0.

Shipley was actually a pretty good WR... He just couldn't stay healthy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 08:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Even if you've never seen it, you've seen Burkhead and Shipley, aka... 2/3 of the Bengals' white WRs I can recall in Marvin's tenure. (Matt Jones doesn't count, he never made the opening day roster.) That seems like it's still pretty damning. You can't even say it's a short thing. Shipley is 6'0.

Jones doesn't count because he didn't make the final 53?

What about Kevin Walter?

Or your namesake, Brian Leonard?  (since you're calling Burkhead a white WR, Leonard should get the same title)

The thing is, neither Walter or Leonard were shifty (same as Whalen), so there would be no reason for that comparison, even though they were also white.

Same can be said of Chase Coffman, Tyler Eifert, or any other white TE that has taken a snap in the slot.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 11:14 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Jones doesn't count because he didn't make the final 53?

What about Kevin Walter?

Or your namesake, Brian Leonard?  (since you're calling Burkhead a white WR, Leonard should get the same title)

The thing is, neither Walter or Leonard were shifty (same as Whalen), so there would be no reason for that comparison, even though they were also white.

Same can be said of Chase Coffman, Tyler Eifert, or any other white TE that has taken a snap in the slot.

-Yes, Jones doesn't count because he didn't make the final 53. Otherwise then you have to start counting everyone who started on the 90 man rosters that teams start with now. If you didn't play in a regular season game, you don't get counted.

-I honestly forgot Kevin Walter was a person, which is why I said 2/3 *that I can recall*. That said, Walter's last year with the Bengals was '05, and Wes Welker didn't start being a name people knew until '07, so yes, obviously he didn't get compared to a person who came after him.

-Brain Leonard is a RB who caught passes. Burkhead actually played the WR position. No, he shouldn't get the same title.

-Coffman and Eifert aren't WRs either.

But congrats on just naming random white Bengals who caught passes, even though I specifically said WRs, in an attempt to be as difficult and dickish as possible. Surprised you didn't mention Andy Dalton for his TD catch, or Jake Fisher.

The only WR you actually added was someone who played before Welker became a successful player. Guess what, Cris Collinsworth never got compared to Wes Welker when he was playing for the Bengals either. Helpful!

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 11:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: -Yes, Jones doesn't count because he didn't make the final 53. Otherwise then you have to start counting everyone who started on the 90 man rosters that teams start with now. If you didn't play in a regular season game, you don't get counted.

-I honestly forgot Kevin Walter was a person, which is why I said 2/3 *that I can recall*. That said, Walter's last year with the Bengals was '05, and Wes Welker didn't start being a name people knew until '07, so yes, obviously he didn't get compared to a person who came after him.

-Brain Leonard is a RB who caught passes. Burkhead actually played the WR position. No, he shouldn't get the same title.

-Coffman and Eifert aren't WRs either.

But congrats on just naming random white Bengals who caught passes, even though I specifically said WRs, in an attempt to be as difficult and dickish as possible. Surprised you didn't mention Andy Dalton for his TD catch, or Jake Fisher.

The only WR you actually added was someone who played before Welker became a successful player. Guess what, Cris Collinsworth never got compared to Wes Welker when he was playing for the Bengals either. Helpful!

No, Burkhead was a RB who moved into the slot because of injuries because he is, wait for it, shifty and can catch.

Kind of like Wes Welker was.

And I'm not being dickish.

Being dickish is continually telling posters that the only reason they are making comparisons between players is because they are both white.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 10:08 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Shipley was actually a pretty good WR... He just couldn't stay healthy.

It all started to go south with that attempted kill shot by that Browns' DB in the end zone.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Yeah Ship was another tragedy in a long line of Bengals tragedies.

hmm

I like the thought of Billings next to Geno with Dunlap rushing free best out of the current options.

Although I think Boyd will show most this season,

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 04:54 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Dansby has been one of my favorite non-Bengal players for a long time. I really wanted us to sign him, back in 2013, over James Harrison.

Same here. I've already got my personalized jersey, or I'd buy (or rent) a #56.

Favorite draftee? Too early to know, but Boyd is a great young man it seems.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Top 3 in order:

Andrew Billings: The knock is that he can't get after the QB. We'll see how he does in a rotation

Cody Core: The one thing this WR corps didn't have is a big WR that can extend defenses

Christian Westerman: Has ability to play Center and if he does so, will become my fav
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'll go with Cody Core because of his upside and his name.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
1. Lafell - We'd really be hurting at WR had we not signed him. It seems most are dismissing him as if he's a Denarius Moore type of signing, but I have a feeling those people are in for a surprise.

2. Billings - The steal of the draft.

3. Dansby - if used correctly, he could make an impact this season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 03:19 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Who is your favorite newest Bengal player and why?

I really think fans are going to like Vigil because he plays like Luke K. and tackles everything.   But he will be seen primarily on special teams.

Me and Eliminate (Nate) really pimped Billings during draft talk.  I am excited to see him play. He is like the rock from fantastic 4 movie lol. Another dude you may not know is FA DT Dean.  Keep an eye on him.

Boyde will be like TJ but better.

But favorite newest Bengal....drumroll please. .....

WJ3.  Why?

Bengals stole him from Steelers and now the Steelers will have to face him at least twice per year. And WJ3 has the skill set to be the Best shut-down corner back since kenneth Riley.  Yep.  He is that good.

BILLINGS!!! Shocked Hilarious

Seriously brother i think he will be a force even as a rookie. I love Peko off the field and he was pretty good
last year, better than i thought he would be but i also think that was because of Geno's dominance once again.

Billings is already a great run stopper so once he starts seeing some action he will already bring what Peko
brings but at the same time Billings can rush the passer better than all but Geno. Go ahead and double Atkins,
this will just free it up for the other guys and Billings is an amazing athlete that can chase down RB's and QB's.

I think that early on in the season it will be Peko starting alongside Atkins but by midseason the coaches will
see who is the DT that best compliments Atkins and who is not a one trick pony.

So of course he is my favorite.

Great draft though, cause i can actually see why someone would also love WJ3 the best or Boyd, Vigil, Core,
Westerman etc. To get all of these players in the same draft is ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
As a FA, Dansby of course. Great cover backer with smarts and is a great leader. Should really help our
pass Defense and this guy has a knack of picking off balls and taking it to the house.

Also, really like Lafell, big body that is good after the catch and has some speed. This guy could really
make some hay with Green and Eifert getting all the attention. Could be Boyd or Core too though.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 04:50 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I have no idea at this point.

Can't even comment intelligently about it cause there's so much that could happen and likely won't this year. Each year we hear how much the team likes its picks, and they should like their picks, but we end up not see much of them for a couple of years, and in some cases, are still waiting to see them become football players.

Not going to mention any names, but there's more than one player who's trying to hunt for his talents or maybe find his alter ego like Superman's Clarke Kent or maybe he's hoping time on the IR makes his flower blossom or maybe he was thrust in the lineup performing at an underwhelming level and the team has to russell with what to do at that position.

So, really, I have no favorite until they get on the game field and show us. Who knows, I might have to have a vigil to find my favorite player come the end of the year or maybe we get a new core guy who elimintates our return problems.

This.  We have no idea what any of these guys are going to do.
Reply/Quote
Billings - Thinking/ hoping this will be the guy that helps us stop the run/ pressure the passer - especially at the end of games when bending is not the best solution to ending the game.

Boyd - Believe he will impact right away in the slot and down the road on the perimeter

Dansby - Finally have an experienced, proven 3 down backer to play with Rey and Tez

Core - Big downfield target who could stretch the field like Slim
Reply/Quote
ok. I would not normally care that we drafted to screw another team, but both Billings and Jackson were mentioned to Pittsburgh, and Boyd was an actual Pitt player. So I want all three to succeed and do well.
I liked some of the video clips I saw on FA Tra Carson RB. He's fairly complete, blocking, catching, and running.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 04:42 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: In terms of rookies, it's Andrew Billings. WJ3 is not far behind.

In terms of outside guys we brought in this year. It's Karlos Dansby by a mile.

Agreed. I've been wanting Dansby since he left the Cardinals. I think he's a good fit.

From the "new" guys, Ogbheui. He was supposed to be a top 10 pick, he's had rehab time and some playing time. I want to see him play like he was touted.
Reply/Quote
None yet.

They have to contribute with the Bengals for me to invest any special interest.

That's why I don't care what college they came from.

Leon Hall being a fine example of that in the past.

I do agree with what others have said... if we get a guy that the Steelers wanted it makes it sweeter if they perform.

Boyd would sting some of those Crapsburgh fans and I bet has the mouth/swagger that could put him right there with Burfict/Jones on their "hate list".
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm torn on billings and wj3. I even have an itch. For our fifth rounder.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
Taking the "chip on the shoulder" mindset in to account a bit, I selected Cody Core. He knows exactly what he is in comparison to Treadwell, who was selected in the first round. He already has displayed a bit of brash confidence ("c'mon, catch me") and has the size, strength, and vertical speed to develop in to our "X" receiver.

I think WJIII, Boyd, and Vigil will all make contributions this season, but my guy is the one that is hungry for that second contract and thinks he is the best one out there.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2016, 12:07 AM)McC Wrote: It all started to go south with that attempted kill shot by that Browns' DB in the end zone.

TJ Ward? was that the guy?
Reply/Quote