Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Favorite and/or most influential guitarists (for you as a player or in general)
Great thread and list of players.
A couple that I didn't notice mentioned Eric Johnson,Kenny Wayne, and Zakk Wylde.
Lets not leave out these guys just because of their genre...Merle Travis,Chet Atkins, and Roy Clark. All cutting edge players for their time and they ripped.
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised that I have not either Eric Clapton or Robert Johnson on anyone's lists.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To me there is a trio at top.....SRV, Buddy Guy, Hendrix.

After those three are are a lot of guys with mind blowing talent like Steve Vai, but they just lack alittle something that the top 3 have. It isn't about technique because guys like Vai can play note for note anything that that the top three have ever played. But he just can't create the original "feeling" that they put into their music.

Prince is underrated as a guitar player, and Steve Morse of the Dixie Dregs played with more "ferocity" than almost anyone I have ever seen live.
Reply/Quote
I don't think this thread was meant to be a "best of" list.

There are some guys who are definitely technically better or even more versatile than those I mentioned.

Yngwie Malmsteen is an example of a very masterful guitar player. 

My only problem with him is that he usually bends music to fit his lead style...  which to me is kind of a cop out as an overall musician.

I love guitarists that can push the envelope and be as versatile as possible.  Flowing to the style of the music no matter what the genre. 

I know a lot of people may not take hard rock/metal guitarists seriously as strictly genre specific legends but man there are some guys who can play blues/jazz/classical/chicken picking and any other genre you could think of.  Some real master-classmen.

Zakk Wylde makes me sick at the strictly pinch harmonic rut he's put himself into the last decade.  Check out this comical gem that shows what he can do. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fkkUOUONtw

Of course Andy Timmons can kill it about on anything and play long meaningful notes as well.  Never seen a guy playing chicken picking with a standard picking style like this and so frickin' cleanly. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC-NVauJ7y8

Slow soulful playing by Andy.  I love David Gilmour's playing too as previously mentioned.  Some of the best bends and vibrato ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOhiRUKWH7o

Okay.  I'm just gonna say it.  Keith Urban is probably one of my favorite "newer" guitar players. Rock guitar kinda blows now so yeah he's got chops and feeling that current rock lacks.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 10:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: After those three are are a lot of guys with mind blowing talent like Steve Vai, 

That guy lost a guitar showdown to the Karate Kid.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 12:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: That guy lost a guitar showdown to the Karate Kid.

Karate Kid beat the devil WITH technical playing.  I always thought it was kinda ass backwards in that movie.

You'd think a player with soul and feeling would beat the guy who could just play classical licks...  guess not!

Music must be a speed race.  LMAO

Better go brush up on your chops Stevie !

[Image: th?id=JN.nMOKJ9cnt4wX0%2fwYs5thYQ&pid=15.1&P=0]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 02:51 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Great thread and list of players.
A couple that I didn't notice mentioned Eric Johnson,Kenny Wayne, and Zakk Wylde.
Lets not leave out these guys just because of their genre...Merle Travis,Chet Atkins, and Roy Clark. All cutting edge players for their time and they ripped.

Yep. Good stuff.

Another couple guys i catch myself watching videos of for hours on end...

Tony MacAlpine

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
and Paul Gilbert

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 11:25 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I don't think this thread was meant to be a "best of" list.

Correct. I just wanted people to post players that were influential to them, whether it be as a player or just a music lover. Figured we'd get a lot of different styles and genres. It's pretty cool because even though you may not be a fan of a particular type of music or band, it's still possible to enjoy listening to someone that 'speak to you' in a musical way. 

Reply/Quote
Speaking of different genres, back in the mid 90s when i was just getting heavy into Pantera, a guy i worked with made me a couple cassette tapes of stuff he liked. Including this local guy.

Adrian Belew

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Belew

Reply/Quote
Michael Hedges. Saw him live a couple of times. Had a different style and sound than anyone else I have ever heard.

Everyone should check this out. It isn't that long. The song doesn't start until about the 2:30 mark. It is really incredible what he could do with this "Harp Guitar". When I saw him in concert he would even slap the beads in his hair against his guitar as an added percussion element.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN3439l4HR0

He did a lot of cover songs of The Stones, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, and even Shelia E. But he would always tweak the arrangemnet,

This is probably his most famous song "Ariel Boundries". Really captures his style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaIN13aDbCc

Lot's of great "shredders" in this thread, but if you really want to hear someone with a completely different sound check him out. Here is his version of "All Along the Watchtower".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqGHE5GqZ44
Reply/Quote
For anyone into teh metulz, this is a great video. The guy on the right also does vocals while playing.

Reply/Quote
Wes Montgomery
George Benson
Mike Stern
Reply/Quote
Jimmy Page
Jimmy Hendrix
Kirk Hammet
Whoever is playing Guitar for Dragonforce. (seriously thru the fire and flames is nuts)
And for a bit of Weirdness.. Buckethead.
André Olbrich --> Blind Guardians

although plenty more could make the list
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 12:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Jimmy Page
Jimmy Hendrix
Kirk Hammet
Whoever is playing Guitar for Dragonforce. (seriously thru the fire and flames is nuts)

Buckethead is a phenom on a guitar!  I would love to see him live some day.  He is definitely on my bucketlist.  :)
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 12:54 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Buckethead is a phenom on a guitar!  I would love to see him live some day.  He is definitely on my bucketlist.  :)

yeah i was trying to go for guys i didnt see mentioned although i had to list Page and Hendrix...
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 11:25 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I don't think this thread was meant to be a "best of" list.

There are some guys who are definitely technically better or even more versatile than those I mentioned.

Yngwie Malmsteen is an example of a very masterful guitar player. 

My only problem with him is that he usually bends music to fit his lead style...  which to me is kind of a cop out as an overall musician.

I love guitarists that can push the envelope and be as versatile as possible.  Flowing to the style of the music no matter what the genre. 

I know a lot of people may not take hard rock/metal guitarists seriously as strictly genre specific legends but man there are some guys who can play blues/jazz/classical/chicken picking and any other genre you could think of.  Some real master-classmen.

Zakk Wylde makes me sick at the strictly pinch harmonic rut he's put himself into the last decade.  Check out this comical gem that shows what he can do. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fkkUOUONtw

Of course Andy Timmons can kill it about on anything and play long meaningful notes as well.  Never seen a guy playing chicken picking with a standard picking style like this and so frickin' cleanly. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC-NVauJ7y8

Slow soulful playing by Andy.  I love David Gilmour's playing too as previously mentioned.  Some of the best bends and vibrato ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOhiRUKWH7o

Okay.  I'm just gonna say it.  Keith Urban is probably one of my favorite "newer" guitar players. Rock guitar kinda blows now so yeah he's got chops and feeling that current rock lacks.
He's (Urban) a pretty good guitarist I just can't get past how shitty and poppy his songs are.  I don't overly like Brad Paisley (or modern country in general), but he is pretty sick on a Telecaster.  When Zac Brown (who I do like) plays live, he will shred.

I left Steve Cropper off of my list on accident...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
As for me, I love angus!!
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 03:09 PM)jason Wrote: I don't overly like Brad Paisley (or modern country in general), but he is pretty sick on a Telecaster.

Not a fan of the genre whatsoever, but Paisley is a great guitarist.

He's the first person I always think of when somebody brings up pop stars that are good musicians outside of what you hear from them on the radio.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 12:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Jimmy Page
Jimmy Hendrix
Kirk Hammet
André Olbrich  --> Blind Guardians

It took 34 posts before someone mentioned Kirk Hammet. For shame people. For shame. 
(07-10-2015, 03:37 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: As for me, I love angus!!
Y'know, if someone wanted to be a troll they could remove the g from your post.  Ninja

Reply/Quote