Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite muscle cars.
I finally bought my favorite muscle car last week: a 71 Chevelle SS. I got it for 5 grand. It was just the frame and body; no motor, transmission or drive-shaft. Luckily, it had the wiring harness still on there, so that is a major headache avoided (hopefully). I am dropping a 350 Chevy motor bored out 30 over and a 350 turbo transmission.

So that got me thinking what everyone else's favorite muscle car is? Mine is this because my dad had one I helped him work on all the time. He ended up trading it for a Ford F-1, but he always missed and wanted another Chevelle SS.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice car.

I had mine, although it was muscle light. 69 Camaro with a 327, no power steering or anything. Sold it about a decade ago because I was an idiot.

Priorities in life change. Right now what I'd really like to have is a 69 SS El Camino. It wouldn't be as cool as the Camaro was, but I could cruise around with the kids.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 02:29 PM)Benton Wrote: Nice car.

I had mine, although it was muscle light. 69 Camaro with a 327, no power steering or anything. Sold it about a decade ago because I was an idiot.

Priorities in life change. Right now what I'd really like to have is a 69 SS El Camino. It wouldn't be as cool as the Camaro was, but I could cruise around with the kids.

My second favorite car! good luck finding one of those now ;-)

Don't know why, but I've never been a big Camino fan. Like, is it a truck or car? Lol
Reply/Quote
Hemi 'Cuda.....any year.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 03:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hemi 'Cuda.....any year.....

Early 60s was 'meh' for me... LOVE the later 60s, early 70s tho... Super nice cars
Reply/Quote
I'd have to say the late sixties/early seventies Chevelle's were my favorite.  The car that was in the movie Deathproof.  WHatever year that was, that's what I would say is my favorite classic muscle car. I also really like the 68/9 Mustang's. 

A friend of mine had a 72 Challenger.  Oh buddy, could it fly down the road.  It'd pass anything in sight......except a gas station. 

I honestly like the looks of most muscle cars.  Camero's, 'Vette's, Challenger's, Mustangs........I like them all. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 03:07 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Early 60s was 'meh' for me... LOVE the later 60s, early 70s tho... Super nice cars

Early 60s didn't offer a Hemi....they were first available in the '68 Super Stock dragster assembled by Hurst Performance ThumbsUp

(I'd even "settle" for a 440 Six Pack version..... LOL)

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 03:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: Early 60s didn't offer a Hemi....they were first available in the '68 Super Stock dragster assembled by Hurst Performance ThumbsUp

(I'd even "settle" for a 440 Six Pack version..... LOL)

Aww ok, I thought they started these in the Early 60s with the Hemi. Then i totally agree with you! Especially the 440... wow, those are nasty
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 03:14 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I'd have to say the late sixties/early seventies Chevelle's were my favorite.  The car that was in the movie Deathproof.  WHatever year that was, that's what I would say is my favorite classic muscle car. I also really like the 68/9 Mustang's. 

A friend of mine had a 72 Challenger.  Oh buddy, could it fly down the road.  It'd pass anything in sight......except a gas station. 

I honestly like the looks of most muscle cars.  Camero's, 'Vette's, Challenger's, Mustangs........I like them all. 

My man!  Big Grin

The challengers are really nice as well. the 440 Magnum was loud and kicked alot of ass. 

And I share the bolded sentiment as well. Love most muscle cars, but usually guys have one car in mind they would like to own.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 03:25 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Aww ok, I thought they started these in the Early 60s with the Hemi. Then i totally agree with you! Especially the 440... wow, those are nasty

Oh yeah!!!!  We used to have my grandfather's old car....a '69 Chrysler 300.  It wasn't a muscle car, more of a 'grand tourer', if you will.  It was a land yacht....but the s.o.b. had a 440 Magnum, and at 19' long and change, it would melt the damn tires off for as long as you were willing to mash the throttle.  Cut the wheel while doing this?  Instant donuts.  You ain't lived until you've cut donuts and hung a sweeping curve at 125 mph in a 19' by 7.5' land yacht!LOL

Unfortunately, my dad wrecked it a few years ago, and totally destroyed it..... Sad

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 03:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh yeah!!!!  We used to have my grandfather's old car....a '69 Chrysler 300.  It wasn't a muscle car, more of a 'grand tourer', if you will.  It was a land yacht....but the s.o.b. had a 440 Magnum, and at 19' long and change, it would melt the damn tires off for as long as you were willing to mash the throttle.  Cut the wheel while doing this?  Instant donuts.  You ain't lived until you've cut donuts and hung a sweeping curve at 125 mph in a 19' by 7.5' land yacht!LOL

Unfortunately, my dad wrecked it a few years ago, and totally destroyed it..... Sad

My dad had late 80s S10 pickup that he dropped a 350 motor in it for his daily driver. Guess what I learned how to drive with? That truck. Boy, that truck would do doughnuts that would make you sick! Heaven for bid it's raining, you would never be able to keep the tires from spinning no matter how fast you was going. This happened to me while driving on the freeway and I swear I died for a minute. My heart stopped for the minute and half I was spinning on the freeway doing 80ish MPH. Good times! lol
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 03:40 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: My dad had late 80s S10 pickup that he dropped a 350 motor in it for his daily driver. Guess what I learned how to drive with? That truck. Boy, that truck would do doughnuts that would make you sick! Heaven for bid it's raining, you would never be able to keep the tires from spinning no matter how fast you was going. This happened to me while driving on the freeway and I swear I died for a minute. My heart stopped for the minute and half I was spinning on the freeway doing 80ish MPH. Good times! lol

Know what you mean....a friend in high school had the same setup......stopped at a traffic light, the back tires would break traction in the rain.....like driving a lit cannon LOL

My old man had a Dodge Dakota with the 360 Magnum, it was bone stock, and would do the same thing.  Dangerous if you weren't careful.

Reply/Quote
Why don't they bring back the Chevelle?  GM would make a killing on it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Since most people do not consider Corvettes to be "muscle cars" I'll go with the '71 Pantera. Nothing like mid-engine American V-8 power combined with Italian design.

[Image: basore_rightfrontqtr.jpg]
Reply/Quote
[Image: article-2196122-14C2BF4C000005DC-151_634x412.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 03:32 PM)Wyche Wrote:  You ain't lived until you've cut donuts and hung a sweeping curve at 125 mph in a 19' by 7.5' land yacht!LOL

When you consider that many of these big heavy cars in the 60's were rolling on bias ply tires with drum brakes it is amazing they all didn't end up wrapped around trees.
Reply/Quote
Favorite ever is the Shelby GT500. I'd take any of the older years and the newer ones they are coming out with are slick as well.
Reply/Quote
so many to list...but if i had to pick one it would be a 67 GTO
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 01:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Since most people do not consider Corvettes to be "muscle cars" I'll go with the '71 Pantera.  Nothing like mid-engine American V-8 power combined with Italian design.

[Image: basore_rightfrontqtr.jpg]

nice, wasn't really familiar with this car - had to Google it. I like this. Has a kind of Ford Mustang feel to it. But acceleration wasn't what I thought it would be. Seen a car and driver said it could accelerate from 0-60 in 5.5 second. This looks like it could tear some ass off the line.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 06:47 PM)jason Wrote: Why don't they bring back the Chevelle?  GM would make a killing on it.

They don't want competition with the Vette's and Camaros.
Reply/Quote