Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feanin for the D draft
I have never made a mock draft but I decided I would try one out. Let me know what you think. Here you go.

1st round

With the 24th pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Bengals select

William Jackson III - CB - Houston
[Image: Chick+fil+Peach+Bowl+Florida+State+v+Hou...hVuPCx.jpg]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ed52KLps6U

The Bengals have already said that they love CBs in the 1st round. What I believe is the best CB in the draft, and a true defensive difference maker, falls to them. He is tall, physical, plays the ball well, and knows what to do when the ball is in his hands. He was the Peach Bowl hero against FSU with the game ending pick. With Adam getting in his later years and not knowing what will happen to Dre after this year, he is great insurance. Even if Dre stays that is a very strong CB group. Dre Kirk, Dennard, Jones, Shaw, and WJ III we would be ready for any passing attack.

2nd round

With the 55th pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Bengals select

Jaylon Smith - LB - Notre Dame
[Image: jaylon-smith-temple.jpg]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkmrGaeo15E

(This pick is dependent on the eval in a couple weeks)  The Bengals have no problem taking a guy that might have to sit for a year(see Ogbuehi). With the signing of Dansby they have a guy that can guide him and teach him the ropes. He is very instinctual and has very good coverage ability, which is one thing missing from our group now. Minus Dansby that is. Our LB crew could be one of the best. The future at this position would be very bright.

3rd round

With the 87th pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Bengals select

Shawn Oakman - DE - Baylor
[Image: USATSI_8305940_154617978_lowres-1200x800.jpg]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hiTIDOgn2Y

If Oakman doesn't fit the mold that the Bengals like in their DEs I don't know what does. This guy is 6'9" and pure muscle and can still bulk up a little more. I do not think he is a 15 sack a year player but what I do think he is is Michael Johnson reincarnated. Which I like a lot. He sets the edge well and tracks the runner just as well. He got kicked out of Penn State but wants to show people that person is not who he is. He might be a bit of a project but younger and more instinctive than Hunt was.

4th round

With the 122nd pick of the 2016 NFL draft the Bengals select

Kolby Listenbee - WR - TCU
[Image: 940x.jpg]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD-vX71On44

Speed kills. Finally an offensive pick. We go with the other Horned Frog, not Doctson, to really open up the offense. He is a long play waiting to happen. He will stretch the field and open the middle up for our TEs and can take advantage of the single coverage with his speed. The Bengals don't need a number 1 receiver or even a number 2 option. What they need is a guy that can take advantage of the single coverage that they will get from all the attention that goes to Green and Eifert. He is tall, fast, and will compete for the ball.

5th round

With the 161st pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Bengals select

K.J. Dillon - SS - WVU
[Image: BMQ_3326.jpg]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8SpqkjSoGU

He reminds me of Deone Buccanon from AZ. He likes to hit and will make plays in the box and in the opponents backfield. He has solid coverage ability as well. He would make for nice depth in the secondary. He shined in Senior bowl week and then had a nice showing at the Combine.

6th round

With the 199th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft the Bengals select

Willie Henry - DT - Michigan
[Image: Willie+Henry+Michigan+v+Connecticut+GVJN3qglVSsl.jpg]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWBRzsBmLmo

I think Henry can instantly come in and become a rotational player on the D line. Peko isn't getting any younger and I believe Henry would be able to slide right in and man the middle with Atkins. He can take up two blockers with his size and also can penetrate well for a big man. I thought this would be a little too late but I have seen other mocks with him in the 6th. I feel he would be a steal this late.

7th round

With the 245th pick (and the last for them) in the 2016 NFL Draft the Bengals select

Joe Thuney - OG -NC State
[Image: 565bc50681db4.image.jpg]

A guy that has played all positions on the line. He will be PAs project. The versatility is something that the Bengals covet for a lineman though and he has done it.

Let me know what you think. I would be pretty damn happy if this is how it went but I am sure some of you don't like it at all. So lets talk about it.
Reply/Quote
What's not to like? Seriously, this is one of the better mocks I've seen. The Smith pick in 2 might be a gamble, but I'd roll those dice. ThumbsUp
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 03:20 AM)Camdaddy08 Wrote: I have never made a mock draft but I decided I would try one out. Let me know what you think. Here you go.

1st round

With the 24th pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Bengals select

William Jackson III - CB - Houston
[Image: Chick+fil+Peach+Bowl+Florida+State+v+Hou...hVuPCx.jpg]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ed52KLps6U

The Bengals have already said that they love CBs in the 1st round. What I believe is the best CB in the draft, and a true defensive difference maker, falls to them. He is tall, physical, plays the ball well, and knows what to do when the ball is in his hands. He was the Peach Bowl hero against FSU with the game ending pick. With Adam getting in his later years and not knowing what will happen to Dre after this year, he is great insurance. Even if Dre stays that is a very strong CB group. Dre Kirk, Dennard, Jones, Shaw, and WJ III we would be ready for any passing attack.

2nd round

With the 55th pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Bengals select

Jaylon Smith - LB - Notre Dame
[Image: jaylon-smith-temple.jpg]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkmrGaeo15E

(This pick is dependent on the eval in a couple weeks)  The Bengals have no problem taking a guy that might have to sit for a year(see Ogbuehi). With the signing of Dansby they have a guy that can guide him and teach him the ropes. He is very instinctual and has very good coverage ability, which is one thing missing from our group now. Minus Dansby that is. Our LB crew could be one of the best. The future at this position would be very bright.

3rd round

With the 87th pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Bengals select

Shawn Oakman - DE - Baylor
[Image: USATSI_8305940_154617978_lowres-1200x800.jpg]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hiTIDOgn2Y

If Oakman doesn't fit the mold that the Bengals like in their DEs I don't know what does. This guy is 6'9" and pure muscle and can still bulk up a little more. I do not think he is a 15 sack a year player but what I do think he is is Michael Johnson reincarnated. Which I like a lot. He sets the edge well and tracks the runner just as well. He got kicked out of Penn State but wants to show people that person is not who he is. He might be a bit of a project but younger and more instinctive than Hunt was.

4th round

With the 122nd pick of the 2016 NFL draft the Bengals select

Kolby Listenbee - WR - TCU
[Image: 940x.jpg]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD-vX71On44

Speed kills. Finally an offensive pick. We go with the other Horned Frog, not Doctson, to really open up the offense. He is a long play waiting to happen. He will stretch the field and open the middle up for our TEs and can take advantage of the single coverage with his speed. The Bengals don't need a number 1 receiver or even a number 2 option. What they need is a guy that can take advantage of the single coverage that they will get from all the attention that goes to Green and Eifert. He is tall, fast, and will compete for the ball.

5th round

With the 161st pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Bengals select

K.J. Dillon - SS - WVU
[Image: BMQ_3326.jpg]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8SpqkjSoGU

He reminds me of Deone Buccanon from AZ. He likes to hit and will make plays in the box and in the opponents backfield. He has solid coverage ability as well. He would make for nice depth in the secondary. He shined in Senior bowl week and then had a nice showing at the Combine.

6th round

With the 199th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft the Bengals select

Willie Henry - DT - Michigan
[Image: Willie+Henry+Michigan+v+Connecticut+GVJN3qglVSsl.jpg]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWBRzsBmLmo

I think Henry can instantly come in and become a rotational player on the D line. Peko isn't getting any younger and I believe Henry would be able to slide right in and man the middle with Atkins. He can take up two blockers with his size and also can penetrate well for a big man. I thought this would be a little too late but I have seen other mocks with him in the 6th. I feel he would be a steal this late.

7th round

With the 245th pick (and the last for them) in the 2016 NFL Draft the Bengals select

Joe Thuney - OG -NC State
[Image: 565bc50681db4.image.jpg]

A guy that has played all positions on the line. He will be PAs project. The versatility is something that the Bengals covet for a lineman though and he has done it.

Let me know what you think. I would be pretty damn happy if this is how it went but I am sure some of you don't like it at all. So lets talk about it.

This is not only solid, but it's extremely likely that most of those players are at the position you picked. If Jaylon Smith can come back from his injury this might just be one of the better mocks I've seen.
Reply/Quote
I agree with the idea that this not only looks great, but it seems completely believable that those players will be available when those picks come up...I just did a fanspeak draft where I got Hargreaves at 24 (I don't think there is a chance he will be there), but I would have considered Alexander or Jackson at that spot if he wasn't. I do think Jackson has the leg up on Alexander, but if Hargreaves somehow fell (I didn't think there was a chance that Dennard would fall to us two years ago and he did) that would be a tough choice.

That being said I grabbed Jaylon Smith in the 3rd in that draft because I thought it was crazy he was still there...risk, sure but I would also consider him in the second (depending on the WRs who are still available) and I think pairing him with Burfict and possibly Dawson long term (Burfict moving to middle I guess) would mean a bright future if Smith bounces back after a redshirt year.

Oakman in the third gives us a great boom/bust project (and we move on from Hunt if more isn't shown in camp), WR being addressed is a must somewhere in the draft, but what I love is finding a solid S in the fifth. I think that there is some depth to the developmental prospects at Safety and we have D. Smith who will have two years under his belt and may show us a lot more as the 3rd Safety this year...so I think we can grab a S a little later than some mention.

I also love the versatile lineman choice at the end...it screams "Bengals Guy" at me as we love OL who can play multiple positions!
Reply/Quote
At first glance I actually hated it now I'm a little more on board, but still dont want it to fall this way. It's not that I don't like the players, I do, I just don't like the way it all fits together. In fact I'd love to end up with any of the guys in the first six rounds (don't know anything about 7th rounder).

First round CB is not a huge need for us imo, in fact I'd be fine going into this season with just the guys on our roster plus some undrafted guys for competition. WR, DT, DE, LB would all be better spots.

Next, you have two high risk/high reward players. I'm all for having a little risk with ONE early pick but 2 out of first 3 picks is too risky. At most I'd take one risk in the first 3-4 rounds and one later on. Better to stick with safer bets to fill out your draft. If Smith falls to 6-7 I'd grab him up tho, or Oakman falls to 5 which I've seen in some mocks we could still get both. If they need to be taken in round 2&3 I would only want 1 of them.

Finally you don't draft a WR until 4. I see a large drop after round two so if we want someone to help this year I think it'll have to be early. If the right guy is available in 3 I could get on board waiting that long but would really prefer one in the first 2 rounds. Then I'd be all for grabbing one later too like listenbee
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 09:48 AM)Mongo1809 Wrote: I agree with the idea that this not only looks great, but it seems completely believable that those players will be available when those picks come up...I just did a fanspeak draft where I got Hargreaves at 24 (I don't think there is a chance he will be there), but I would have considered Alexander or Jackson at that spot if he wasn't.  I do think Jackson has the leg up on Alexander, but if Hargreaves somehow fell (I didn't think there was a chance that Dennard would fall to us two years ago and he did) that would be a tough choice.  

That being said I grabbed Jaylon Smith in the 3rd in that draft because I thought it was crazy he was still there...risk, sure but I  would also consider him in the second (depending on the WRs who are still available) and I think pairing him with Burfict and possibly Dawson long term (Burfict moving to middle I guess) would mean a bright future if Smith bounces back after a redshirt year.  

Oakman in the third gives us a great boom/bust project (and we move on from Hunt if more isn't shown in camp), WR being addressed is a must somewhere in the draft, but what I love is finding a solid S in the fifth.  I think that there is some depth to the developmental prospects at Safety and we have D. Smith who will have two years under his belt and may show us a lot more as the 3rd Safety this year...so I think we can grab a S a little later than some mention.

I also love the versatile lineman choice at the end...it screams "Bengals Guy" at me as we love OL who can play multiple positions!

This is one of my thoughts. Those three together, being our future, could go down as one of the best LB corps the Bengals have ever had. I really tried to be real in what would be there in the rounds. Thanks for the feedback.
Reply/Quote
Not totally what I would want but an excellent draft.   And, other than Henry being available in the 6th (I think he goes between 3 and 5) very feasible.

Not only is it feasible in terms of what will be there, but this is the way I could see the Bengals going.   They have clearly been positioning themselves to not have to draft a WR in the first or 2nd round. 

I certainly don't think they want to draft one in the first.  And other than Nkemdiche I don't think they envision taking a DT in the first.    I think all the DTs they are looking would not be on their board until the 2nd round and later.   I think they'd consider Henry and Hargraves at 3 or 4.

I think if Oakman is there in the 3rd round they'd jump all over him.  He fits our mold for DEs and despite his fall from grace is a better player than most give him credit for. 

I love the Listenbee pick. At that spot he'd be a good value and would be the vertical threat we're looking for to replace some of MLJ's abilities.

Nice job.  I'd be very happy with this draft. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 04:05 AM)Shady Wrote: What's not to like? Seriously, this is one of the better mocks I've seen. The Smith pick in 2 might be a gamble, but I'd roll those dice.  ThumbsUp

aside from Listenbee I would absolutely dread us drafting like this.  To many what if's with smith and especially oakman.  This is football not bodybuliding

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 12:39 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: At first glance I actually hated it now I'm a little more on board, but still dont want it to fall this way. It's not that I don't like the players, I do, I just don't like the way it all fits together. In fact I'd love to end up with any of the guys in the first six rounds (don't know anything about 7th rounder).

1. First round CB is not a huge need for us imo, in fact I'd be fine going into this season with just the guys on our roster plus some undrafted guys for competition. WR, DT, DE, LB would all be better spots.

2. Next, you have two high risk/high reward players. I'm all for having a little risk with ONE early pick but 2 out of first 3 picks is too risky. At most I'd take one risk in the first 3-4 rounds and one later on. Better to stick with safer bets to fill out your draft. If Smith falls to 6-7 I'd grab him up tho, or Oakman falls to 5 which I've seen in some mocks we could still get both. If they need to be taken in round 2&3 I would only want 1 of them.

3. Finally you don't draft a WR until 4. I see a large drop after round two so if we want someone to help this year I think it'll have to be early. If the right guy is available in 3 I could get on board waiting that long but would really prefer one in the first 2 rounds. Then I'd be all for grabbing one later too like listenbee

First off thanks for your honesty. I am glad you like the players chosen at least.

1. I don't think that it is a HUGE need for us either. What I do know, which has been said by Marvin himself, is that they put high value in CBs for the first round. I would say it can become a need though. With the uncertainty with Dre at the end of this year, Adam not getting any younger, and the league being a very pass happy league, the more quality corners the better. I really tried to do my draft looking through their minds with what I know in Marvin's tenure here. I just feel that they value those other positions a little later in the draft than what we might. Plus I see WJ III being the best CB in the draft - so that would play into the BPA theory as well.

2. I did put a pre statement that the Jaylon pick is determined by what happens in a couple weeks. If they find nerve damage or any red flags to the injury then that pick changes and I will have to restructure the draft at that point. If everything checks out though, which I think it will, then I do not consider it a risk. Actually if everything checks out he might be gone before our pick. It is as big of a risk as Ced and looks like he will be just fine. So that makes Oakman the only real risk (much like MJ when we took him or Dunlap when we took him). With his size, ability to play the run, and cause disruption (maybe not sacks) he fits in very well. You do make a fair point with only wanting one risk. I just don't see the risk being as high as you.

3. The wide receiver thing now. I do not think the Bengals feel like they have to get a receiver early. With the signing of Lafell and all the other options (Green, Eifert, 2 headed backfield, Kroft, Wright getting healthy and hopefully Alford getting some time) it is just not at a premium to them. You look at the recent past when we needed depth, and at that time really had none, our picks came in the 3rd (Sanu) and 5th round (Jones). Before that it was 2nd (Simpson) and 4th round (Caldwell) which also was a time we were at a far worse shortage of weapons and I think you will agree with that. We chose one in the first round when we really had no one at all.

I feel like this draft will be D heavy. If you take a look at our offense most of them have only been in the league 5 years or less. They have really tried to remake the offense the last couple years and now I think they will start planning for the future of the D. I know they have been the strong part of the team but age will start to creep in and injuries will start to hit them and the Bengals are going to be prepared. I think this is the perfect draft to do so with the depth on the defensive side.

I really did try to not just take people I like but what I think the Bengals could actually do with the past guiding me. Lets be honest I am probably going to be 100% wrong but it is fun as hell trying to play the role. Thanks for letting me have a little debate. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 06:57 PM)Okeana Wrote: aside from Listenbee I would absolutely dread us drafting like this.  To many what if's with smith and especially oakman.  This is football not bodybuliding

I will just put what I wrote on LF40 post

I did put a pre statement that the Jaylon pick is determined by what happens in a couple weeks. If they find nerve damage or any red flags to the injury then that pick changes and I will have to restructure the draft at that point. If everything checks out though, which I think it will, then I do not consider it a risk. Actually if everything checks out he might be gone before our pick. It is as big of a risk as Ced and looks like he will be just fine. So that makes Oakman the only real risk (much like MJ when we took him or Dunlap when we took him). With his size, ability to play the run, and cause disruption (maybe not sacks) he fits in very well. You do make a fair point with only wanting one risk. I just don't see the risk being as high as you.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the mock. Overall very solid. I like the Listenbee pick a lot.

I wouldn't be a big fan of taking a CB in the first, but I'm on my fourth or fifth year saying "hey, we need a legitimate DT, keep Peko as part of a rotation." This is the best draft for that in that time span. Outside of Dupree last year, we haven't had a lot of legitimate DL talent fall to us. This year looks to be the best to pick up a starter at DT or an edge rusher. Hell, I wouldn't even be opposed to the right guy who could move between the spots, as some projections have a couple guys who could possibly do that.
Reply/Quote
Love it. Maybe the best CB in the Draft. Jaylon would be the best LB'er in the Draft if not for the injuries
and he is definately worth the gamble. Just seen that Oakman is getting accused of sexual assault though
so he might go much later now. Maybe switch him and Henry cause i think Henry will go much earlier but
you never know with the DT depth this year.

Listenbee is my favorite sleeper in this draft, absolutely love that pick.

I think he is just getting overlooked cause of Doctson, unfair but take advantage and grab this dude.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Love it. Maybe the best CB in the Draft. Jaylon would be the best LB'er in the Draft if not for the injuries
and he is definately worth the gamble. Just seen that Oakman is getting accused of sexual assault though
so he might go much later now. Maybe switch him and Henry cause i think Henry will go much earlier but
you never know with the DT depth this year.

Listenbee is my favorite sleeper in this draft, absolutely love that pick.

I think he is just getting overlooked cause of Doctson, unfair but take advantage and grab this dude.

Just saw that about Oakman. He would come off my board now. Not because I think he is guilty, I let the law decide that, but not interested in the hassle. I would probably do like you said. Put Henry or a different DT in third and take Matt Judon in sixth. Small school kid but has big upside. Really dominated and looked like the best player on the field. Will have to update draft. I really like the rest of the draft and wouldn't want to change to much.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2016, 12:40 PM)Camdaddy08 Wrote: Just saw that about Oakman. He would come off my board now. Not because I think he is guilty, I let the law decide that, but not interested in the hassle. I would probably do like you said. Put Henry or a different DT in third and take Matt Judon in sixth. Small school kid but has big upside. Really dominated and looked like the best player on the field. Will have to update draft. I really like the rest of the draft and wouldn't want to change to much.

Completely agree, Judon would be a steal in the 6th.

Just update it and it is one of my favorite mocks hands down.
Reply/Quote
Would rather not have Oakman now (I'm sure you've heard) and would rather have a more polisher WR like Charone Peak in Round three. I love the Smith pick, but I'm not sure I would make it if there is a solid pass-rushing RDE there.

Your last pick made me smile. Joseph Thuney was on my daughter's (they played coed at that age) first soccer team. He was tiny back then, haha. Didn't give up a sack last year. I would love to see him in stripes.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 10:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Would rather not have Oakman now (I'm sure you've heard) and would rather have a more polisher WR like Charone Peak in Round three. I love the Smith pick, but I'm not sure I would make it if there is a solid pass-rushing RDE there.

Your last pick made me smile. Joseph Thuney was on my daughter's (they played coed at that age) first soccer team. He was tiny back then, haha. Didn't give up a sack last year. I would love to see him in stripes.

A couple posts up Nate and I discuss Oakman, and he would be off my board now. When I first made the mock I had my DE with Oakman. In place of Oakman now would be Matt Judon and I think you have a solid draft still. I just need to make my update to it.
Thuney is very versatile. Played all five positions at NC State. Everything I hear he is a stand up guy too. That's cool how you knew him as a kid. He has some things to work on like leaning and can definitely use a wider lower base, skinny leg syndrome, but holds up well on initial contact and can get to the second level quickly. He is smart too.
Reply/Quote