Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Fifty Years of Tax Cuts for Rich Didn’t Trickle Down, Study Says
(12-21-2020, 01:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Trickle down does work, but it has to be tax cuts to the middle class. The middle class drives the economy.

But that wouldn't be "trickle-down", though. It would also be difficult at this point considering the continual destruction of the middle class.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 01:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Trickle down does work, but it has to be tax cuts to the middle class.  The middle class drives the economy.

(12-21-2020, 05:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But that wouldn't be "trickle-down", though. It would also be difficult at this point considering the continual destruction of the middle class.

We aren't far off from saying the middle class drove the economy. It's becoming an issue of lower wage earners driving it unsustainably through subsidization of tax dollars we don't have. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 05:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But that wouldn't be "trickle-down", though. It would also be difficult at this point considering the continual destruction of the middle class.

(12-21-2020, 06:33 PM)Benton Wrote: We aren't far off from saying the middle class drove the economy. It's becoming an issue of lower wage earners driving it unsustainably through subsidization of tax dollars we don't have. 

Again, we know that but the GOP won't change.

Help the middle and lower class to earn more and they spend more and everyone makes more.  But the filthy, greedy top will never let go of what they stole.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 09:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: Again, we know that but the GOP won't change.

Wait, I seem to remember Obama having a Dem controlled Congress his first two years.  Do you remember the big middle class tax cut we got then?  I sure as shit don't.

Quote:Help the middle and lower class to earn more and they spend more and everyone makes more.  But the filthy, greedy top will never let go of what they stole.

Open your eyes to the fact that both parties have no interest in actually helping those people and you'll being to comprehend the current situation.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 12:29 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Wait, I seem to remember Obama having a Dem controlled Congress his first two years.  Do you remember the big middle class tax cut we got then?  I sure as shit don't.

Open your eyes to the fact that both parties have no interest in actually helping those people and you'll being to comprehend the current situation.

Ninja  Hey!  Thanks for following me around to tell me how dumb I am!  I missed you!   Ninja 

And in case you missed it -->  Sarcasm 

All seriousness aside the economic policy in question has been pushed by the right since Reagan and continues to be thus my comment about the GOP.

Obama didn't push a mid tax cut because of the economics of the US at that time.  But kudos for trying to find a way to bring Obama into the conversation for that two years or so he had a Democratic congress.  I was afraid we wouldn't try to play the "both sides" game for once.  Smirk

But please keep tailing me...it's funny.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 12:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: Ninja  Hey!  Thanks for following me around to tell me how dumb I am!  I missed you!   Ninja 

And in case you missed it -->  Sarcasm 

Well argued, as usual.

Quote:All seriousness aside the economic policy in question has been pushed by the right since Reagan and continues to be thus my comment about the GOP.

I don't disagree, but this doesn't exculpate Dem inaction on the very same topic.

Quote:Obama didn't push a mid tax cut because of the economics of the US at that time.  But kudos for trying to find a way to bring Obama into the conversation for that two years or so he had a Democratic congress.  I was afraid we wouldn't try to play the "both sides" game for once.  Smirk

No, no, no.  You don't get to excuse Dem inaction by pointing out GOP action.  Try exercising your critical faculties for once instead of being a blinkered partisan hack.

Quote:But please keep tailing me...it's funny.

Please, you're not important here or anywhere else, which is exactly why you act the way you do on this board.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 12:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: All seriousness aside the economic policy in question has been pushed by the right since Reagan and continues to be thus my comment about the GOP.

Obama didn't push a mid tax cut because of the economics of the US at that time.  But kudos for trying to find a way to bring Obama into the conversation for that two years or so he had a Democratic congress.  I was afraid we wouldn't try to play the "both sides" game for once.  Smirk

When was the last Republican administration that left a booming and successful economy for a Democrat?

Obama and McCain were neck and neck until the housing markets and the banks almost crashed less than two months before the election so Bush II is out.

Clinton was elected based on "It's the economy, stupid" after Bush led us to our most one-sided military victory in our country's history so daddy Bush is out.

I was too young to remember the handover from Nixon/Ford to Carter. Does anybody have any proof of the "GOP" actually living up to the moniker Growth and Opportunity Party?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 12:29 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Wait, I seem to remember Obama having a Dem controlled Congress his first two years.  Do you remember the big middle class tax cut we got then?  I sure as shit don't.

Well, this is because the Democratic party has been pushing for and implementing neoliberal policies which are free-market focused and more in line with the fiscal and monetary policies of conservatives than progressives. Since FDR, the Democratic party has moved steadily right on economic policies in this way. Moving away from protectionist policies and more towards free trade.

This is all why you see such a progressive movement going on. We see a large swath of disaffected voters on both sides that have this frustration due in large part to both parties abandoning the policies that really created the hey-day we saw in the middle of the 20th century. I know this isn't news to many people on here, but it not only caused the present progressive movement, but also the rise of Trump. There is a reason that he was able to gain a following with such a populist message. The issue is that many people believed he was sincere in that message when he was anything but. They also believe a lot of other things that have no real fact behind them.

Anyway, arm the proletariat and eat the rich.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 01:01 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Well argued, as usual.

I don't disagree, but this doesn't exculpate Dem inaction on the very same topic.

No, no, no.  You don't get to excuse Dem inaction by pointing out GOP action.  Try exercising your critical faculties for once instead of being a blinkered partisan hack.

Please, you're not important here or anywhere else, which is exactly why you act the way you do on this board.

If you don't disagree than make a separate point without accusing another poster of not understanding.

I can TOTALLY "excuse" anything I want with the facts of the times.  The GOP has pushed the "trickle down" theory for 40 years.  ME not saying the Democrats didn't change anything in the couple year window doesn't change one thing I said...it's just an attempt to shift some of the blame because you don't like the "left".

As I've said many, many times you don't know me at all except on this board where you have formed a personal opinion.  We all do that here.  Very few of us know each other outside of this board.  Your opinion of my standing "anywhere else" is insulting and should cause you be ashamed of even saying it.

So since I'm not "important" you can stop following me around to try and insult me and my intelligence.

If you want to talk about the topic have at it.  Try to do without the personal insults. Rock On
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 09:20 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, this is because the Democratic party has been pushing for and implementing neoliberal policies which are free-market focused and more in line with the fiscal and monetary policies of conservatives than progressives. Since FDR, the Democratic party has moved steadily right on economic policies in this way. Moving away from protectionist policies and more towards free trade.

This is all why you see such a progressive movement going on. We see a large swath of disaffected voters on both sides that have this frustration due in large part to both parties abandoning the policies that really created the hey-day we saw in the middle of the 20th century. I know this isn't news to many people on here, but it not only caused the present progressive movement, but also the rise of Trump. There is a reason that he was able to gain a following with such a populist message. The issue is that many people believed he was sincere in that message when he was anything but. They also believe a lot of other things that have no real fact behind them.

Anyway, arm the proletariat and eat the rich.

Democrats also are greedy...lol.  Especially those at the top.  And they will try to denounce trickle down while still making money off it.  Plus using it to try and pick a few GOP voters away by being "moderate".

But the concept is still a GOP pushed "idea" and that isn't going to ever change.  At leas the Democrats have a more progressive push from within.  Is it enough though?
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote

Funny you should mention the first two years of the Obama administration as proof that Democrats don't want to help the middle class.  In those first two years the Democrats got health insurance for about 40 million working middle class citizens that the Republicans have been threatening to take away for about for 12 years now.

And BTW, the ACA was permanent, not temporary like the tax cuts Trump gave to the middle class.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 09:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: Again, we know that but the GOP won't change.

Help the middle and lower class to earn more and they spend more and everyone makes more.  But the filthy, greedy top will never let go of what they stole.

Personally, I don't think either party if so the middle class.

Both sides like the top earners money and  both sides pander to lower income earners for votes. One through religion and some illusion of personals freedom, the other through subsidies 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 06:49 PM)Benton Wrote: Personally, I don't think either party if so the middle class.

Both sides like the top earners money and  both sides pander to lower income earners for votes. One through religion and some illusion of personals freedom, the other through subsidies 

And I acknowledged that too.  Some Democrats are more than happy to see the GOP's economic plan because it makes them richer too.

But there is still a push from the left to get away from those policies that you will not see on the right.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote

Logical fallacies are fun!
Reply/Quote