Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Final Regular Season QB rankings
(01-13-2017, 03:17 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: Not sure you are correct anywhere but in your mind. 

Using your link 
Andy was 11/34 in first down conversion passing on 3rd 7-9 - 32% 
(6 of his 17 completions were less than what was needed. Inflating his completion % to an impressive 50% total fluff)
on 3rd & 10 or more he was 10/52 for first downs. - 19.23%
(20 of his 30 completions were less than what was needed. Inflating his completion % to a WHOPPING 57% total fluff)

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/alex/2017/alex-season-review

This shows specifically how a QB does in 3rd down situations when passing.
Overall Andy is ranked 20th out of 34 qualifying QB's
On 3rd and short Andy is rated 18th of 34.
On 3rd and mid Andy does his best work and is rated 9th (well done) of 34.
On 3rd and long Andy is rated 29th of 34

What is it you are trying to say...because I said he is not a risk taker and does not do well pushing the ball down the field to the sticks on third and long. These are the facts to prove it.

After digging deeply into this, I have to concede that Dalton is throwing short of first down a lot this year. I picked some random QBs for comparison and here's how they stacked up on 3rd and 7+ yards to go:

1. Rivers: 37.8% conversion rate
2. Luck: 36.5%
3. Ben: 35.9%
4. Brady: 33.3%
5. Wilson: 30.9%
6. Cam: 30.6%
7. Carr: 29.5%
8. Dak: 28.4%
9. Palmer: 28.4%
10. A.Smith: 26.8%
11. Flacco: 25.0%
12. Dalton: 24.4%
13. Bradford: 23.5%
14. Eli: 22.2%

I didn't feel like looking up everyone, but this gives a general feel. Dalton is probably among the worst this season. That got me interested in how Dalton fared in previous seasons though, and here's each year:

2011: 25.9%
2012: 32.5%
2013: 37.8%
2014: 27.7%
2015: 37.0%

So most of his seasons compare favorably with even the best QBs I listed above. His best 2 seasons would've ranked 1st and 2nd on the list. So again...this is yet more proof that Dalton does not possess a noodle arm and over the course of his career, he's been far from conservative.

So what was the deal this year on 3rd down? I'm honestly not sure. None of us are. I'd probably argue that the abysmal o-line hurt. 3rd and long + bad pass blocking isn't a good combo. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 11:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: After digging deeply into this, I have to concede that Dalton is throwing short of first down a lot this year. I picked some random QBs for comparison and here's how they stacked up on 3rd and 7+ yards to go:

1. Rivers: 37.8% conversion rate
2. Luck: 36.5%
3. Ben: 35.9%
4. Brady: 33.3%
5. Wilson: 30.9%
6. Cam: 30.6%
7. Carr: 29.5%
8. Dak: 28.4%
9. Palmer: 28.4%
10. A.Smith: 26.8%
11. Flacco: 25.0%
12. Dalton: 24.4%
13. Bradford: 23.5%
14. Eli: 22.2%

I didn't feel like looking up everyone, but this gives a general feel. Dalton is probably among the worst this season. That got me interested in how Dalton fared in previous seasons though, and here's each year:

2011: 25.9%
2012: 32.5%
2013: 37.8%
2014: 27.7%
2015: 37.0%

So most of his seasons compare favorably with even the best QBs I listed above. His best 2 seasons would've ranked 1st and 2nd on the list. So again...this is yet more proof that Dalton does not possess a noodle arm and over the course of his career, he's been far from conservative.

So what was the deal this year? I'm honestly not sure. None of us are. I'd probably argue that the abysmal o-line hurt. 3rd and long + bad pass blocking isn't a good combo. 
Fair response...I would agree that poor o-line play would be a huge factor in this and would allow for someone to unfairly put all the blame on the QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 11:08 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: Fair response...I would agree that poor o-line play would be a huge factor in this and would allow for someone to unfairly put all the blame on the QB.

Na, that never happens around here. Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 10:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd say:

Palmer = Dalton

Both guys were flat-out awesome last year and were completely run into the ground by lousy o-lines and offensive schemes. Hell, even the almighty Russellll Wilson was betrayed by his line and still got praise despite putting up 5 offensive showings of 12 points or less. 

Statistically, Wilson's season was almost identical to Dalton's.

Dalton even had a better year running the ball for once.
Reply/Quote
The media has been going crazy over Aaron Rodgers ability in completing hail mary passes. I believe Andy has been just as good.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Meh Ranking Players just doesn't work...

I can say one thing Dalton has impressed me every year he's been in the NFL. 2016 was no different this year he showed me he can escape a quickly collasping pocket and instead of running he kept his eyes down field making throws on the run.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 01:24 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: He was not the #1 receiver in Detroit...but do not let facts get in the way of your narrative. lol.

He WAS the #1 WR on the team in terms of the depth chart.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/detroit-lions-team-depth-chart

To be fair, there were other depth charts I saw that didn't list a #1 or #2 WR, so I'll leave it that he was arguably #1 or #2. However, IIRC, one of the reasons he left Cincy was so he could be the #1 receiver on a team, right? 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 09:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So you're saying Andy had better weapons that Matt Stafford?

No, I'm not saying that at all.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 06:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Andy had his second best year as a pro and finished middle of the pack in passer rating. Let's hope he improves and not make more or less of it than what it was. 

Well considering the way he played with the rash of injuries and the OL play I would say he still has a chance to improve as I do not think he has hit his ceiling and is just now approaching his prime.

Will he be a HOF QB?.  Most likely not..... but he has been a damn fine one so far in his career all things considering.   
Reply/Quote