Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McShay predicts Bengals' first 3 picks
(04-21-2017, 03:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: Evolution is a crazy thing. How we did stuff in the past doesn't dictate future decisions only how those decisions were made previously. We have broken a lot of personnel and drafting trends in recent years, so to think we could again isn't weird, especially when a coordinator flat out said he doesn't care about the height.

The article was on Bengals.com sometime between January and March, not sure when.

I will look for the article.

I understand about past, present, etc. But these guys on the roster were drafted and signed base don current Bengals scouting and trends. this isn't early 2000's I'm going back to. It's current and right now.

I like the Thomas kid a lot. But I see the BEngals needing major offensive help and needing to reload there. Like, major. AJ Green will be 29 when the season starts. Eifert is going to have to turn into a cyborg at some point and will want a ton of cash.

I like the Charlton kid a lot if they go DE. I think he has the highest ceiling of any DEs in the draft.
If they can trade back, I love the S Jamal Adams from LSU. LOVE him. Even thought the Bengals have S, he is a possible game changer long term.

I like the TE Butt out of Michigan in a mid round.
I like Mixon early in the 2nd.
My sleeper WR is a guy named Chad hansen out of Cal. He could fall to the 4th or 5th ala, Marvin Jones. He played one year at Idaho State (Marvin's former school) and did well before transfering. Speed, size, playmaking, it's all there. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/chad-hansen?id=2558069

This draft is sooooo deep at DL and DE that taking one in the first seems like a waste to me unless it's a guy who fits perfectly. Charlton's the only one I see like that.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 05:37 PM)PDub80 Wrote: This draft is sooooo deep at DL and DE that taking one in the first seems like a waste to me unless it's a guy who fits perfectly. Charlton's the only one I see like that.

Once again, you say Charlton is only one that fits, but your using criteria that isn't a criteria anymore. Guenther didn't say it in passing he spent 3 paragraphs specifically pointing out all the reasons a guy can be 6'1 or 6'3 and still be successful. Hope you find it, because based on his persistence it almost seemed like he was setting up to take  a non "mold" guy.

For what it's worth I do also like Charlton as well and I wouldn't be mad if they took him.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 05:40 PM)Au165 Wrote: Once again, you say Charlton is only one that fits, but your using criteria that isn't a criteria anymore. Guenther didn't say it in passing he spent 3 paragraphs specifically pointing out all the reasons a guy can be 6'1 or 6'3 and still be successful. Hope you find it, because based on his persistence it almost seemed like he was setting up to take  a non "mold" guy.

For what it's worth I do also like Charlton as well and I wouldn't be mad if they took him.

I'm not going to put a ton of faith into what coaches say leading up to the draft. I read every Bengals related article and listen to every podcast and radio interview I can find. I have not read nor heard those comments from Guenther. Not doubting you guys, as I miss them from time to time. But I would like to read it to better understand the context.

And for me, until the Bengals start taking DEs that aren't 6-6, I'm inclined to believe the status quo. To quote Marvin... I see better than I hear.
Reply/Quote
Last thing we need is a WR. I would be pissed
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 02:23 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: Last thing we need is a WR. I would be pissed

Well supposedly they wanted one last year and missed out in round 1. It wouldn't be surprising if they went there if their top 1-2 guys are gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 12:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: As pointed out below, we no longer subscribe to the giant DE. We just traded for a 6'3 DE and Guenther did note that size isn't that big an issue.

Chris Smith is 6'3"? On his draft analysis page he was listed as 6'1" i am pretty sure.

(04-21-2017, 03:34 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Going by the current roster, only 1 DE out of 5 is shorter than 6-6.

The new guy they just brought in is being talked about as a LB, rush end or specialized type of player - not a rotational, regular down DE, which is what you think the Bengals would be looking for with that high of a pick. Plus, they JUST brought in a shorter guy. Why would they now want 3 (assuming Gilberry is on the opening day roster)? That flies in the face of what the Bengals look for in DEs.

I'm not saying I agree with the height requirement. Just pointing out that, REGARDLESS OF A COORDINATOR'S COMMENTS BEFORE THE NFL DRAFT <----- if you're gullible enough to believe him, the Bengals have not kept a DE around shorter than 6-6, save for Gilberry, in many seasons.

BTW, I can't find the article with the Guenther comments you two are referring to. Could you link it to me? Not being a smart ass, I would like to read it.

I actually trust what Guenther says unlike Marv and some of the other coaches.

He is willing to adjust unlike Marv. It was a good article as Au165 here said was back in January/February on bengals.com.

Paulie spoke of not just drafting the usual tall Ends and said something to the point of it doesn't matter the size as long as
he can get the job done. Said it is more important to have longer arms so he can disengage rather than just how tall they
are. We all know some of the best DE's in the game don't have to be really tall.

Look at Von Miller and Kahlil Mack, i know they are more 3-4 Ends but still. Production is what we should be after more
than size like a Taco Charlton who doesn't get off his blocks very fast and dances around too much.

(04-21-2017, 03:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: Evolution is a crazy thing. How we did stuff in the past doesn't dictate future decisions only how those decisions were made previously. We have broken a lot of personnel and drafting trends in recent years, so to think we could again isn't weird, especially when a coordinator flat out said he doesn't care about the height.

The article was on Bengals.com sometime between January and March, not sure when.

Yeah.
Reply/Quote