Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Impressions of First Preseason Game
Positives:

1. First team played well.
2. Liked Vigil's play for the most part, but saw him get locked up with OL a couple times and not get off blocks.
3. I thought Will Clark had a very good game.
4. I thought Westerman looked like a beast. Not only finished blocks, but got downfield.
5. I liked what Cody Core did.
6. Boyd was awesome.
7. McCarron is a great asset to have.
8. Erickson flashed in the run back, but I still only see him as a PS guy.
9. No significant injuries.

Negatives:

1. Gotta finish, left too many points on the table. Missed FG, stopped on 4th and inches at the 2, missed the tackle for a safety, and missed the 2 pt conversion. That's 14 points by my count. Can't leave those points on the table in the regular season.
2. Chykie Brown needs to go tomorrow.
3. Clayton Fedulum needs to go tomorrow.
4. Wenning was easily outplayed by Licata. Both will be cut, but Licata should get the call back if we suffer injuries.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 12:06 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hardison, Clarke and Mr. Ryan Brown that made that badazz stop at the end of the game.

Ryan Brown should of been drafted people, dude is like Dunlap 2.0.

Of coarse we are going to have to see more of him but as of right now i'll sleep happily on Ryan Brown.

Reply/Quote
Yeah Beaker, Munoz was talking about writing in Westerman for the Gold Star player of the game.

Love the Christian Westerman pick and the other Center Cooper didn't look too bad.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 12:12 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Of coarse we are going to have to see more of him but as of right now i'll sleep happily on Ryan Brown.

For sure he ain't no Hunt, he has try.

He knows what a football is lmao
Reply/Quote
Looks like Erickson is this preseason's Dane Sanzenbacher.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 12:07 AM)WRavage Wrote: Uh, didn't Freeney sign with Atlanta last week?

I missed that. Well I guess there's not much that can be done other than hope the grizzled old veteran finally figures out how to play football.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2016, 11:13 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Watched the whole game via Game Pass.

1. The first team was in for the first series which ended up with a Nugent missed FG and a 3 and out for the defense with an almost sack by Atkins, a sack by Atkins, and an almost sack by Dunlap, forcing an incomplete third down pass.

2. McCarron picked up from where he left off last year. Bengals should get a good deal for him after the season.

3. Vigil looked as advertised. I was more impressed with him than Dawson. Vigil should see a lot of snaps, especially the first 3 games.

4.  Cody Core looked good.

5.  Hunt looked no better than last year.

6.  Again, Dawson looked average at best.

7.  Licata looked better than Wenning, who looked weak.

I didn't notice any injuries with the exception of Hill with a possible hand injury.
I guess we stay with Nugshit.
Reply/Quote
Wondering why the two point conversion, back corner jump ball went to 6'0" Grant and not 6'4" Russell or 6'5" Simonise. Give your rookie QB a chance.
Reply/Quote
The WR picture just got even more muddied. Tate made a couple of good catches, and if he continues to make plays, his job will be safe. Core was as good as advertised in TC reports, but did get called for holding on ST's. Alford had a nice KR, a good PR that netted 24 yards after the coverage team was forced to take him down with a horse collar tackle to prevent a one on one with the P, and a nice screen that he broke for 14 yards. Erickson had a nice TD catch out of the slot, a PR TD, and should have drawn a PI. Simonese flashed with a big catch and run.

On the downside, Wright didn't show a lot and Kumerow pulled the same game day disappearing act he pulled all last preseason. After the first preseason game, I see it as Green, Boyd, LaFell, Tate, Core, and Alford making the main roster with Erickson and Simonese on the PS, possibly switching Alford and Erickson. With Simonese's upside, Core and Wright's ST's play, and Alford and Erickson's return abilities, it's hard to see Kumerow even making the PS, at this point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2016, 11:34 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Alex Erickson makes the squad

Meh. He's just our first preseason hero this year.

Don't get me wrong, I was impressed with how he played, but it's just one game, and it was against a bunch of backups. He certainly deserves a better look, but I won't say that he'll make the team at this point...especially at his position. 

...But if he keeps performing like he did in this game, I'll be screaming for him to make the team. Here's hoping that turns into a good problem.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Feel a lot better about WR unit now.

Going to regret not replacing Nugent one Sunday soon.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I am surprised that people are saying they were disappointed with Dawson's play because I saw him make a few good place and never saw him an exceptionally bad play either.
Reply/Quote
We would've had a safety on the Vikes first TD drive if Hunt wasn't getting rode way out of position. Clarke stuffed the play deep in the end zone and somehow Hunt ended up on the right side of Clarke about 5 yards off the ball. Terrible. The RB bent it back to the left(Hunt's side) for a big gain
Reply/Quote
Hunt was clearly the biggest loser.

I usually take what Lapham says with a grain of salt but he's been gushing over Erickson for a while.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 12:38 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Wondering why the two point conversion, back corner jump ball went to 6'0" Grant and not 6'4" Russell or 6'5" Simonise. Give your rookie QB a chance.

Yeah, a bit puzzling but I liked the play call. Gutsy and Marvin immediately called for the two. Shows confidence. Its preseason, why not take the chances.

Reply/Quote
Did lafell get any snaps, stats....was he injured...?
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 10:29 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Did lafell get any snaps, stats....was he injured...?

Didn't play this game.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 03:15 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Feel a lot better about WR unit now.

Going to regret not replacing Nugent one Sunday soon.

Or on a Monday night in Denver...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I was watching Hunt most of the night. It looked like he half-assed some plays. He did not look good. I heard Marvin mention Tate in his post game conference before he took any questions. This probably means Tate will be returning punts this season and Erickson will be on practice squad ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 10:29 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Did lafell get any snaps, stats....was he injured...?

(08-13-2016, 10:38 AM)milksheikh Wrote: Didn't play this game.

Was there rationale given? I can't find anything. 
Reply/Quote