Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Impressions of First Preseason Game
(08-13-2016, 10:45 AM)2slick Wrote: I was watching Hunt most of the night. It looked like he half-assed some plays. He did not look good. I heard Marvin mention Tate in his post game conference before he took any questions. This probably means Tate will be returning punts this season and Erickson will be on practice squad ThumbsUp
Right! If Erickson continues to contribute, I'd be pissed to see Tate continue returning duties.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 08:45 AM)bonesaw Wrote: We would've had a safety on the Vikes first TD drive if Hunt wasn't getting rode way out of position.  Clarke stuffed the play deep in the end zone and somehow Hunt ended up on the right side of Clarke about 5 yards off the ball.  Terrible.  The RB bent it back to the left(Hunt's side) for a big gain

I think you are forgetting to blame a couple others there.. where is the LB and Corner contain, they also take the blame with Hunt
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Get rid of Brown, Hunt and Nugent immediately if not sooner. Addition by subtraction
Reply/Quote
Hopkins made some good plays.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 11:04 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think you are forgetting to blame a couple others there.. where is the LB and Corner contain, they also take the blame with Hunt

I was at the game and much easier to see the off the ball stuff. My thoughts:
Dalton and Green looked sharp, no Boyd to evaluate with 1st team.
Our DL was dominant for all 3 of their snaps, 3 drop backs and 3 QB pressures with 1 sack.
AJ M. looked very good, but the reality is he has an average NFL arm, but like Dalton on the brain side, he is very smart and manages games well.
I thought Core showed well at WR, but did have a holding penalty on a punt return.
Erickson did some very good things (punt return and move to get open for 3 yard TD, but I watched him closely and he had trouble getting open in the slot the entire game.

Hunt is just not a pass rusher, but make no mistake he held up well on running plays rarely giving ground. My concern is who replaces Gilberry's role, I saw no one last night but just one game. Peerman disappointed me, I thought he ran scared and di not hot the hole hard. Kummerow looked bad, maybe it was the lack of practice. We need Kroft or Eifert, others can back up, but none can be a #1 TE.

Brown looked very bad, I think he should be cut. I thought Raven also played poorly. We need another CB to step up, but Dennard and Lewis-Harris did not play at all so we may be OK if they can get healthy and stay healthy. I liked Vigil, he was not great in coverage, but he does swarm to the ball. Dawson flashed great at times, but then over pursues also which he needs to clean up. Flowers looked good.
Overall, they were OK at 2nd and 3rd units with first team looking very strong on both sides of the ball
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Hunt needed to be gone last preseason ! He just lacks any football instinct, you can't coach that into a guy. If he stays on the team this year ????? Dennis Roland 2.0 I guess, must be some ones pet project.

But overall I liked a lot of what I seen.
Reply/Quote
Everything pretty much got posted about this game.

On a small side note...

I just want to know why Jayson DiManche is still on the roster?

I have never been impressed with this guy's playing.

Maybe my eyes deceive me... ?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 11:22 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Get rid of Brown, Hunt and Nugent immediately if not sooner. Addition by subtraction
That pretty much sums it up.

All replaceable.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 11:04 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think you are forgetting to blame a couple others there.. where is the LB and Corner contain, they also take the blame with Hunt

That is true....but I don't think those young guys in at the time (don't recall the exact personnel) have been in the league as long as Hunt.  Also, the backers were most likely pursuing the play, and got caught up in traffic, the DE's job is to set the edge, unless on a stunt.  Did you see an edge set on that play?  I didn't.  Hunt is terrible, he even lacked effort last night.  Can his ass.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 11:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Lewis-Harris did not play at all 

I thought I saw Clew out there.  Did he play special teams?
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2016, 11:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: The effort was even lackluster.  How many times did you see him just standing around? Pathetic.

I have been one of his biggest defenders saying we needed to give him a chance when he is healthy.  Last night showed he has zero football IQ, zero strength (how is this possible, but TEs put him on his back several times), and played with zero passion. 

How many more chances should he get?  Zero.  

On the positive side, I thought Clarke was getting pressure on the right side and looked to have a very high motor every snap he was in there.  
Reply/Quote
Still watching, but so far Hardison has looked pretty good, but I find it telling that he Deshawn Williams saw action before he did.

Also, I think people are pinning too much blame on Hunt for the escape on the second drive.

As has been stated already, there was also no containment from the secondary, and there have been no complaints about the missed tackles before the RB cut it back.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 11:52 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I thought I saw Clew out there.  Did he play special teams?

He played both ST and CB last night. He was out there. Did ok too.
Reply/Quote
Did Uzomah do anything or did he just get pulled with the 1st stringers?
[Image: ferris-quote.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 11:52 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I thought I saw Clew out there.  Did he play special teams?

He played....I saw him in the 2nd half.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 11:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have been one of his biggest defenders saying we needed to give him a chance when he is healthy.  Last night showed he has zero football IQ, zero strength (how is this possible, but TEs put him on his back several times), and played with zero passion. 

How many more chances should he get?  Zero.  

On the positive side, I thought Clarke was getting pressure on the right side and looked to have a very high motor every snap he was in there.  

Agree 100%.  Clarke was getting pressure, and looking serviceable.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 12:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: He played....I saw him in the 2nd half.

Okay. I thought I saw him out there.  Was playing guitar while watching so my attention was partial at times.
Reply/Quote
Well Hill getting dinged up quickly sucked A@@!

He was running well. Hitting the whole and not dancing as much.

Gio is one tough sumbitch. LOL That's no suprise though.

The new WRs and TE/FB seemed to be blocking pretty well IMO.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2016, 11:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I will add that Alex Erickson could of got the game ball, dude has great hands and that return was bat shit crazy.
Not a Tater Hater here but with this guys hands, quickness and decision making he is very expendable and Alford
also shown promise in this aspect. Erickson made big strides tonight.

Simonise made one hell of a catch and run. With his size, speed and ability to go up for the ball, great pick.

Ryan Brown DE Mississippit State 6'6" 275 lbs made a great late game stop and showed try, unlike Hunt.

Hardison looked very good, didn't see anything from Clarke but others did cause i missed the entire 1st quarter.
More good news here as i have been speaking my mind about the lack of DE depth.

Dawson and #45 looked bad out there. Flowers was a rollercoaster, good player though.

Darius Hillary looked alright and #38. Need to put Shaw back at corner i fear cause Chykie be bad.

I completely agree about Erickson. He only had one "drop" and the ref missed a bad PI call.  The defender was all over his back before the ball got there.  I thought he still caught it anyways, but the back judge said it came out when he hit the ground.  Erickson is a polished route runner and clearly knows where to be and how to make sure he gets there.

I thought Boyd looked good, but not great.  Only reason not great is he wasn't getting a lot of separation, but interestingly he was playing the outside WR spot the majority of the time he was in there.  Didn't see Lafell at all???  I think he will shine in the slot, and he can really track the ball well.  Duped his defender on the deep pass by keeping his arms down until the last possible second.  

Core looked good early, but Wenning's balls were late and underthrown.  He looked to have the DBs scared to death of his over the top speed, so comeback routes were easy yards for him.  If Boyd is to be the new Houshmanzadeh, maybe Core can be the new Henry?

Alford helped himself a great deal.  Looked good on returns and showed his speed on a dump pass. He was even in on kick coverage, trying to show himself as an all-around player.  

Right now, and it is early, I could see the WRs shaking out like this: 

AJ Green
Tyler Boyd
Brandon Lafell
Cody Core
Alex Erickson
Mario Alford

It sounds terrible to say, but I almost wish they hadn't signed Lafell and they could keep Kumerow.  I think the starting WRs could be Core and AJ, with Boyd in the slot.  Erickson backing up Boyd in the slot, Kumerow backing up AJ, and Alford backing up Core at X.  
Reply/Quote
Macaroni is a decent backup QB but floats his passes far too much for my liking... needs to take some cheese off the ball.
Reply/Quote