Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First preseason game overreaction thread
(08-12-2023, 10:59 AM)jj22 Wrote: Bring in Elliot if only for his pass pro. We are still a pass heavy team and pass blocking more so then running is a priority for the rb2 spot.

This should have made Perine a priority to keep. Even if it meant losing Mixon.

I think we're good at RB. I like what I see from Chase Brown. Evans I'm not sure on yet but he definitely shows flashes here and there.  

I'd rather see Brown get more playing time than bring in a vet--just my opinion. Mixon is our vet. Unless we move Mixon I don't think we need another vet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bad

1. Very disappointed in the backup QB’s
2. Disappointed in Myles Murphy
3. Disappointed in the backup lines. Run defense awful and OL ( these were experienced players) looked like crap run or pass blocking

The Good
1. Iosivas is going to help immensely at some point. Don’t know that timeline.
2. Safeties Dax,Tycen,and Battle
3. Robbins
4. McPherson
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 10:59 AM)jj22 Wrote: Bring in Elliot if only for his pass pro. We are still a pass heavy team and pass blocking more so then running is a priority for the rb2 spot.

This should have made Perine a priority to keep. Even if it meant losing Mixon.

Perine told them he was staying then 30 minutes later he called back and said he signed with Denver. But they need to hold back money for an unexpected signing due to injury. It’s why there is negative zero chance they plop down 5 million for Zeke. If they sign Zeke they have no flexibility.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Not an overreaction, just a reaction and a comment on this thread:

Are you people serious? It's the first preseason game, a glorified practice.

Relax

A lot of bartenders and truck drivers were playing last night and we all knew that going in.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 01:49 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Not an overreaction, just a reaction and a comment on this thread:

Are you people serious? It's the first preseason game, a glorified practice.

Relax

A lot of bartenders and truck drivers were playing last night and we all knew that going in.

Opens a thread about overreactions

Sees overreactions, becomes horrified
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 01:50 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Opens a thread about overreactions

Sees overreactions, becomes horrified

Not horrified.  Amused is more like it.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 01:57 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Not horrified.  Amused is more like it.

It’s what sports fans do.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
For me:

offense:

1) Qb's struggled better see improvement in 2nd game

2) OL backups provided no running lanes

3) Iosivas has claimed at least the 6th Wr spot. ( big 3, Irwin, jones/taylor) depending on PUP

4) Tanner Hudson looks like he may be a solid #3 TE

5) Money Mac dead on solid!!!

Defense:

1) Safety may be a strength this year ( dax, battle, anderson)

2) Murphy needs to show up!!!

3) Our backup Cb's were horrible ( Jones, George)

4) Robbins has the punting job!!!!!

5) Tufele looked impressive
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 06:09 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Post your overreactions here:

I'll start.  If the players didn't have numbers I would have had no clue who Myles Murphy was out there.  He made close to 0 impact and didn't pop off the screen the way you would expect a physical freak athletically to.  I had hopes of him being a contributor in pass rush situations this season but seeing him get stonewalled by backup OL all night has tempered that expectation.  By no means have I declared him a bust but after that first impression I don't see him cracking the 2 deep on the DL this season.

I saw Murphy make one nice stop but overall yeah, he didn't do much, expect him to be much more disruptive the more snaps he 
gets though. My overreaction is that our backup QB's are pretty terrible, at least they were in this game. Neither one was accurate 
at all. Also my guy Jackson Carman played pretty bad in this one, his pass protection was very inconsistent. I liked how the coaches
kept him in the game all night long at RT to make him learn.

The good, Dax Hill looks like a stud, Battle looks like a stud. DJ Turner looks like a stud, I love our young Secondary players.

Tufele is a beast, dude is so strong. Gunter had some bad penalties but had some nice plays. I liked what I saw of Shaka Heyward 
the backup Linebacker. Tycen Anderson obviously had a great game with a pick 6 and another interception. Love our young Safeties.
Reply/Quote
Wait....

I thought every pre-season thread was an overreaction thread????
Reply/Quote
Cut Carman now

Ok, so it's not an overreaction, I mean it cut him now! I'm gonna have to go back and watch it again. But I'm pretty sure it was him I saw just getting smoked by guys on GB's 4th string D late in the game.

There's just no excuse for a 2nd rd. third year player looking that bad against guys who won't even make the Packers PS.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 04:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Cut Carman now

Ok, so it's not an overreaction, I mean it cut him now! I'm gonna have to go back and watch it again. But I'm pretty sure it was him I saw just getting smoked by guys on GB's 4th string D late in the game.

There's just no excuse for a 2nd rd. third year player looking that bad against guys who won't even make the Packers PS.

No point in cutting him right now, but if he keeps playing like that it could definitely happen when cuts do happen.

That was sad. Need to add a RT if Carman doesn't improve big time, I have no faith in Jonah staying healthy for an entire season.
Reply/Quote
The biggest preseason over-reaction historically had to be Ja'Marr Chase's first preseason. Some pundits and Bengals fans were claiming he was unable to catch an NFL football -- you know, the lack of stripes and the size. One Bengals fan posted that he wouldn't even place him on the 53.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 04:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: The biggest preseason over-reaction historically had to be Ja'Marr Chase's first preseason. Some pundits and Bengals fans were claiming he was unable to catch an NFL football -- you know, the lack of stripes and the size. One Bengals fan posted that he wouldn't even place him on the 53.

Yes, that was a historical overreaction for sure. It was a concern at the time, but then the first game came against the Vikes and it
was a thing of the past. He still needs to work on the drops at times but overall Ja'Marr has had good hands in the NFL regular season
and post season where it counts.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 10:05 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: That’s not an overreaction. For 1 game, his first game, and against 2nd and 3rd string GB players, Murphy didn’t do crap. It was disappointing to see.

(08-12-2023, 10:18 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: OK, I'll play.

1. Murphy did absolutely nothing. Seriously, at 170 lbs. I could have done what he did, which was nothing.

2. Carman is just about worthless. Every once in a while he leans into someone and gets movement on a running play. He is horribly inconsistent as a pass blocker.

3. The entire OL was barely mediocre, which made it hard on our backup QB's. But can we trade Siemian and Browning for Sean Clifford?

(08-12-2023, 11:45 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Murphy was extremely disappointing. I legitimately had no idea he was playing.

I know, one pre-season game. But this is an over-reaction thread, and that’s my over-reaction.

Siemian and Browning are both land cows and should not be on NFL rosters, but that’s just truth.

Obviously Burrow going down for any length of time would kill us, but we should have a capable backup that can suitably run the offense if Joe gets hurt for 2-4 weeks. Cincinnati cannot win a football game with either of those guys.

(08-12-2023, 01:40 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The Bad

1. Very disappointed in the backup QB’s
2. Disappointed in Myles Murphy
3. Disappointed in the backup lines. Run defense awful and OL ( these were experienced players) looked like crap run or pass blocking

The Good
1. Iosivas is going to help immensely at some point. Don’t know that timeline.
2. Safeties Dax,Tycen,and Battle
3. Robbins
4. McPherson

(08-12-2023, 02:35 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: For me:

offense:

1) Qb's struggled better see improvement in 2nd game

2) OL backups provided no running lanes

3) Iosivas has claimed at least the 6th Wr spot. ( big 3, Irwin, jones/taylor) depending on PUP

4) Tanner Hudson looks like he may be a solid #3 TE

5) Money Mac dead on solid!!!

Defense:

1) Safety may be a strength this year ( dax, battle, anderson)

2) Murphy needs to show up!!!

3) Our backup Cb's were horrible ( Jones, George)

4) Robbins has the punting job!!!!!

5) Tufele looked impressive

(08-12-2023, 02:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I saw Murphy make one nice stop but overall yeah, he didn't do much, expect him to be much more disruptive the more snaps he 
gets though. My overreaction is that our backup QB's are pretty terrible, at least they were in this game. Neither one was accurate 
at all. Also my guy Jackson Carman played pretty bad in this one, his pass protection was very inconsistent. I liked how the coaches
kept him in the game all night long at RT to make him learn.

The good, Dax Hill looks like a stud, Battle looks like a stud. DJ Turner looks like a stud, I love our young Secondary players.

Tufele is a beast, dude is so strong. Gunter had some bad penalties but had some nice plays. I liked what I saw of Shaka Heyward 
the backup Linebacker. Tycen Anderson obviously had a great game with a pick 6 and another interception. Love our young Safeties.

You guys are not wrong on Murphy, but...... he had a terrible pass rush win rate last year at Clemson. It may be better to accept the fact that he is a more athletic Sam Hubbard with potential to be better, this mindset is much less frustrating.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 11:48 AM)jj22 Wrote: Yoshi will end camp WR4.

Jones to IR and Lassiter in.

Big 3
Jones
T.I
Lassiter

Extremely doubtful.  He has a ways to go to surpass the level of trust Zac and Burrow have in TI.

Reply/Quote
5WR Irv-Uno-Tee-Boyd-Yoshi Match up with that boys. And the quick pass against mostly man? Good luck with that.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 05:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You guys are not wrong on Murphy, but...... he had a terrible pass rush win rate last year at Clemson.  It may be better to accept the fact that he is a more athletic Sam Hubbard with potential to be better, this mindset is much less frustrating.

Not a bad idea to temper our expectations with MM as a pass rusher this year. What is nice is he is already a good run stopper and 
he is young so he can work on his pass rush. He still gets washed out of plays when rushing the passer and he needs to learn to go 
inside more and use his strength to manhandle OT's instead of trying to act like he is a speed rusher going too far outside.

Ossai is my pick this year to really open eyes as a pass rusher behind Hendrickson and it wouldn't surprise me if Hubbard upped his
game this year in this aspect. Sam always works his ass off to improve his game big time every Offseason. I think he does what he 
says and gets double digit Sacks this season.

(08-12-2023, 05:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Extremely doubtful.  He has a ways to go to surpass the level of trust Zac and Burrow have in TI.

Yeah, but Yoshi shown some good stuff against the Packers and even played well on ST's from what I saw.

He impressed me and I wasn't near as big on him as lots before this. Really like how he boxes out Corners and he nearly had a
TD on one play where his toe was barely out of bounds on the sideline in the endzone. Still, TI is still trusted as you say namely
by Burrow and Zac.

Charlie Jones didn't do all that much against the Packers last night. Expecting better play from Chuck Sizzle the next 2 PS games.

(08-12-2023, 06:03 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: 5WR  Irv-Uno-Tee-Boyd-Yoshi  Match up with that boys. And the quick pass against mostly man? Good luck with that.

That should give Defenses fits that is for sure. Tee and Yoshi boxing out Corners with Ja'Marr, Boyd and Irv Smith underneath? Shocked
Reply/Quote
Anybody notice a pass rush bothering any Green Bay QB?
Reply/Quote
The Mike Brown in me wants to make Yoshi the TE.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote