Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First preseason game overreaction thread
(08-12-2023, 02:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I saw Murphy make one nice stop but overall yeah, he didn't do much, expect him to be much more disruptive the more snaps he 
gets though. My overreaction is that our backup QB's are pretty terrible, at least they were in this game. Neither one was accurate 
at all. Also my guy Jackson Carman played pretty bad in this one, his pass protection was very inconsistent. I liked how the coaches
kept him in the game all night long at RT to make him learn.

The good, Dax Hill looks like a stud, Battle looks like a stud. DJ Turner looks like a stud, I love our young Secondary players.

Tufele is a beast, dude is so strong. Gunter had some bad penalties but had some nice plays. I liked what I saw of Shaka Heyward 
the backup Linebacker. Tycen Anderson obviously had a great game with a pick 6 and another interception. Love our young Safeties.

I thought they were both pretty bad myself. The Bengals should think of drafting one next year. I golfed with a couple of Browns fans earlier and the were feeling good about some D. Thompson Robinson which obviously he isn't there solution for the season
 But if the Bengals took a swing on a QB in the 3rd-5th Rd range they could potentially find a cheap quality backup that may turn into valuable trade capital. 

Who was the preseason guy last year Drew Plitt? One guy tore it up and I thought for sure we'd give him a chance earlier the next week and then never did.
Reply/Quote
Overreaction.....Tycen Anderson and Dax Hill will start and be pro bowl alternates. Turner will push for playing time, as will Battle.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 07:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The Mike Brown in me wants to make Yoshi the TE.

Taylor loves running behind a WR lined up at wing so maybe we'll see him get some snaps in that formation.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 10:01 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Our backup QBs suck. But we all knew that and the team lives and dies with Burrow. So having said that I think that is the bulk of us looking bad.
All you want is players to flash. Which I think most of the players we would've wanted to show something did. Iosavis made a couple plays, Dax made a nice play on the ball, Battle made some plays, Tycen who played really smart last year in the preseason with his leverage obviously really flashed. Chase brown showed some quickness. Jay tufele flashed which is a guy I think we will need. The oline appeared to have decent protection at times but for me that will really have to come down to someone who has access to the tape to breakdown. Carman looked inconsistent to me but again someone will need to watch his tape. Murphy didn't really standout to me but everything from his scouting report to news from camp that he needs to work on his pass rush but is a good run defender that was expected. So I'll be looking forward to breakdowns of him to see what positives and negatives he had. The punter flashed at times and also was seamless in the field goal operation.

So overall my overreaction is that I'm pleased with how the game went.

They didn't look that great for sure, but.....there was A LOT of defensive interference/holding that wasn't called against GB as well. A couple would have been third down conversions too. I think Browning looked better than Siemien.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 05:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You guys are not wrong on Murphy, but...... he had a terrible pass rush win rate last year at Clemson. It may be better to accept the fact that he is a more athletic Sam Hubbard with potential to be better, this mindset is much less frustrating.

Spending a 1st rounder on a Hubbard clone is almost as bad as spending a 2nd on a tight end who can only block decently. Bengals did that too lol

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 08:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Spending a 1st rounder on a Hubbard clone is almost as bad as spending a 2nd on a tight end who can only block decently. Bengals did that too lol

He has the tools to be an elite pass rusher he just needs more time. I think learning from Hendrickson will be perfect because he is also not a twitch speed guy. He throws his weight around well in pass rushing.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 08:48 PM)treee Wrote: He has the tools to be an elite pass rusher he just needs more time. I think learning from Hendrickson will be perfect because he is also not a twitch speed guy. He throws his weight around well in pass rushing.

I think he may have the traits but is definitely lacking the tools.  Not sure why they couldnt teach these at Clemson, but apparently the entire Dline was crap last year.  Bresee wasnt good either, both he and Murphy were much better their first couple years.

It would be nice if he could pick up some tips from Trey, no doubt.

Reply/Quote
Yoshi really showed up in this game. He also did Ok in ST plays, cementing his spot on the 53. He has the potential to develop into a true #2 wr in the NFL. Could put some additional pressure on Tee and/or his agent to get that extension done sooner rather than later. Maybe overreaction, maybe not.
Reply/Quote
I find Murphy to be somewhere in between a 3tech and DE along the DT-DE-OLB spectrum. He doesn't quite seem to have the top-end speed that some of the freaks have, but I could see him being a strong contributor this year in pressures if he continues to show in stunts. Definitely could see him taking some time to develop, but people are way too hard on him right now - he can do things others can't on the team.
Reply/Quote
My overreaction is that everything is fine because our second string hung with their starters (7-3) through the first quarter. Big Grin

Murphy not only didn't show much (1 tackle, 1 assist, 1 QH), but at times it looked like he dropped his assignment trying to freelance.

The lines were both disappointing. Maybe blame it on being so vanilla. GB looked like they were one preseason game ahead of us on getting into the playbook.

Evans showed up on some good runs. He doesn't have Brown's speed but he was able to squirt through some pretty small creases. Brown seemed to get met in the backfield on every attempt. Maybe easy reads on plays they had already seen by then? Brown did show well in the passing game. He could be a weapon there.

I have to think that Robbins is our new punter. The guy has hang time measured on a calendar and he boomed a 65 yarder that was a hair from staying out of the end zone.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 08:08 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I thought they were both pretty bad myself. The Bengals should think of drafting one next year. I golfed with a couple of Browns fans earlier and the were feeling good about some D. Thompson Robinson which obviously he isn't there solution for the season
 But if the Bengals took a swing on a QB in the 3rd-5th Rd range they could potentially find a cheap quality backup that may turn into valuable trade capital. 

Who was the preseason guy last year Drew Plitt? One guy tore it up and I thought for sure we'd give him a chance earlier the next week and then never did.

Might be the way to go. I also think DTR could be good and the Stains got a good backup there.

I was for bringing back Plitt over the other guy whoever we brought in. Can't even remember his name.

(08-12-2023, 08:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: Overreaction.....Tycen Anderson and Dax Hill will start and be pro bowl alternates. Turner will push for playing time, as will Battle.

Nick Scott is still the starter beside Dax, we will see. But I DO think that Safety will be more than fine.

Something that a lot of fans were really concerned about after losing both Bates and Bell.

BTW, watched a bit of the Panthers/Jets game yesterday and there were a lot of former Bengals on both teams. Bell, Hurst, Uzo, 
Erickson, Lawson and even a couple others, was a bit wild. The Jets look stacked and just beat the crap out of the Panthers.

(08-13-2023, 12:35 AM)SouthernFan Wrote: Yoshi really showed up in this game.  He also did Ok in ST plays, cementing his spot on the 53. He has the potential to develop into a true #2 wr in the NFL. Could put some additional pressure on Tee and/or his agent to get that extension done sooner rather than later. Maybe overreaction, maybe not.

Good overreaction, hope Yoshi playing well puts the pressure on and Tee takes a touch of a discount to stay so we can 
keep the trenches strong and keep DJ Reader around to boot.

(08-13-2023, 01:45 AM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: I find Murphy to be somewhere in between a 3tech and DE along the DT-DE-OLB spectrum. He doesn't quite seem to have the top-end speed that some of the freaks have, but I could see him being a strong contributor this year in pressures if he continues to show in stunts. Definitely could see him taking some time to develop, but people are way too hard on him right now - he can do things others can't on the team.

Yeah, you can see something different in Murphy. Some people are a little hard on him right now just because he isn't getting
Sacks, but you can see his strength when watching him play, he isn't a speed rusher at all. He needs to use his strength and 
burst through the OL to get home. It will take time but he could be a special player for us.

(08-13-2023, 02:07 PM)Roland Wrote: My overreaction is that everything is fine because our second string hung with their starters (7-3) through the first quarter.  Big Grin

Murphy not only didn't show much (1 tackle, 1 assist, 1 QH), but at times it looked like he dropped his assignment trying to freelance.

The lines were both disappointing.  Maybe blame it on being so vanilla.  GB looked like they were one preseason game ahead of us on getting into the playbook.

Evans showed up on some good runs.  He doesn't have Brown's speed but he was able to squirt through some pretty small creases.  Brown seemed to get met in the backfield on every attempt.  Maybe easy reads on plays they had already seen by then?  Brown did show well in the passing game.  He could be a weapon there.

I have to think that Robbins is our new punter.  The guy has hang time measured on a calendar and he boomed a 65 yarder that was a hair from staying out of the end zone.

Evans is talented and you could see it again in this game. He has great burst and quicks and is a good pass catcher. Bad at picking up the 
blitz and that is the reason he doesn't get a lot of snaps in the regular season. Chase Brown is much better in this aspect and you could 
see it in the last game on a couple snaps. Really like Chase Brown and how he fits this Offense.

Brown didn't get nearly as many holes as Evans did though, I expect when Chase Brown does get a hole to see a big run this Preseason
because as you say, Brown was met behind the LOS on a lot of plays.

Also liked what I saw of Robbins, I also think he is our new Punter and could be a good one.
Reply/Quote

Here's a rational reaction. Our OL depth is bad and Jackson Carman deserves to be cut if he plays this bad again next preseason game.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 09:13 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote:
Here's a rational reaction.  Our OL depth is bad and Jackson Carman deserves to be cut if he plays this bad again next preseason game.

I think I said it in another thread but D'Ante Smith was the best Tackle out there his run blocking needs work and Ben Brown was the best offensive lineman on the field for the Bengals. I can see Brown stealing a spot on the 53 because he played both Guard and Center.

All in all the Backups are terrible but that's a common theme for the NFL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/jackson-carman-switches-positions-backup-tackle-battle-heating-up

Quote:Jackson Carman entered camp hoping to win the starting right tackle job, but that didn't work out and he lined up at left tackle during Sunday's session.

Will D'Ante Smith's stellar play continue as he makes a push, not only to make the roster, but to be the first offensive tackle off the bench?

Hakeem Adeniji is also in the mix. He's started 15 regular season games in three seasons with the Bengals.

Carman appeared to be the favorite for the swing tackle spot coming into camp, especially with the way he finished last season, but now it's more of a toss up. Adeniji has the most experience and Smith has arguably had the best camp of the trio.

I would say Carman has pushed himself down to 3rd string. I wonder who is getting the most run at RT between Adeniji and Smith because that will likely single out who they like the most for that 6th Offensive lineman spot.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I missed the game and did not follow the team much since the draft, so im not biased, and going by the comments in this thread, looks like it is not looking good. A game usually tells you if you have a good team or not.. if nothing stands out, means you have the status quo.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 09:53 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I missed the game and did not follow the team much since the draft, so im not biased, and going by the comments in this thread, looks like it is not looking good. A game usually tells you if you have a good team or not.. if nothing stands out, means you have the status quo.

None of our starters played so this is really just judgement on the 2nd and 3rd stringers in the thread.  Only starter who played was Dax I believe. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2023, 02:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Also liked what I saw of Robbins, I also think he is our new Punter and could be a good one.

Robbins punted like crap on the whole: his 2 good HT punts went for less than 40 yards and he had 2 that were 45ish yards that had poor hangtime.

Many reports from camp are that he's shanking punts as well, so not fully consistent.

I'm not sold on him at all and I desperately want to see if Chrisman can do anything to compete against him.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Well we know Chrisman isn't the answer so....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 09:28 AM)Synric Wrote: I think I said it in another thread but D'Ante Smith was the best Tackle out there his run blocking needs work and Ben Brown was the best offensive lineman on the field for the Bengals. I can see Brown stealing a spot on the 53 because he played both Guard and Center.

All in all the Backups are terrible but that's a common theme for the NFL.

Pollack and his practice gadgets needs to go.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 09:13 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote:
Here's a rational reaction.  Our OL depth is bad and Jackson Carman deserves to be cut if he plays this bad again next preseason game.

Carman has shown he plays better on the left side. If that's all he can do, i'd just put him behind OBj and call it a day. It wouldn't be very smart to cut him if you don't have someone equal or better to do that job.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote