Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florio revives old narrative
I love the mountains, but like MHG, I don't ski and I don't like winter. I actually moved to Florida because I needed a warmer climate due to health reasons. That and my sister got pregnant with my nephew. But the people there couldn't understand it. I got comments like "You must really like alligators and sinkholes!" I've lived here for almost six years and haven't even seen a single alligator in the wild. Nor have I seen a sinkhole, much less fallen into one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 02:06 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: When I see a "Native" bumper sticker I can expect to not get along with the driver.  There's a lot of pride in the state.  CA and TX have immense pride as well (though for Texas I've never really understood, because it seems it's just driven by the size of the state and not much else).  I guess when you've got 1,000 people a week moving to your state (CO) it's easy to feel that way.  I moved here because I like the mountains and it was a hotspot for my industry.  But I'll leave for somewhere warmer eventually.  It's crowded and expensive (and getting more of both) and I don't ski and don't like winter.  But summer here is pretty awesome.

I think in general, outside of Colorado, most of the coastal states feel whatever is in between is just wasteland with nothing to offer.  No ocean, no mountains.  I think coasters feel somewhat trapped in landlocked states.  Heck, I felt that way when I moved to Colorado after spending almost 7 years in CA, even though I was in Ohio through college.  But of the midwestern "boring" states and cities, they all offer their own charm and experiences, it's just that a lot of people don't see it because it's not flashy.

we here in those "boring" place are okay with them staying on the coast....
Reply/Quote
Three things:

1) Nobody tries harder to stir the pot than Mike Florio

2) Nobody hates the NFL more than Mike Florio

3) Mike Florio is trash
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 02:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we here in those "boring" place are okay with them staying on the coast....

I will also say though that misrepresentation goes both ways.  I lived in Orange County for a few years, and met some of the absolute nicest and most genuine people there.  It's not all fake personalities and plastic bodies.  

There's someplace for everyone in this giant and diverse country of ours, which makes it pretty damn cool in my opinion. 
Reply/Quote
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/joe-burrow-never-thought-telling-181000058.html

But did the young quarterback from Athens, Ohio think about forcing the Bengals’ hand into allowing him to play elsewhere?

According to Burrow, the answer is no.

“I never thought about telling the Bengals not to draft me or anything like that,” Burrow said in his Monday press conference. “I was just happy to be in the position that I was in, being the potential No. 1 pick. That was exciting for me. I would never throw that opportunity away.”
Reply/Quote
**** that guy Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:35 PM)kdgjr Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/joe-burrow-never-thought-telling-181000058.html

But did the young quarterback from Athens, Ohio think about forcing the Bengals’ hand into allowing him to play elsewhere?

According to Burrow, the answer is no.

“I never thought about telling the Bengals not to draft me or anything like that,” Burrow said in his Monday press conference. “I was just happy to be in the position that I was in, being the potential No. 1 pick. That was exciting for me. I would never throw that opportunity away.”

Yeah that quote was in the OP by Pally and it is why it is a non-story.  Also he said pretty much the same thing before the draft that he wasn't even thinking about refusing to play if drafted by the Bengals.   Florio just can't admit when he is wrong so he doubles down on stuff like that for views. I can't stand the guy and not just because of the way he has talked about the Bengals in the past. He just seems like a troll to me and has a lot of bad takes across the NFL. But that's what got his site acquired by NBC I guess and keeps him in work, clicks and views.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Burrow has a different makeup then Eli (and times have long changed as we'll never see that again). No matter what, I believe Burrow when he said being selected 1OA meant something to him. I can't see him, with his rise, turning down that notch under his belt. Regardless of where we was born.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
And just think..who would have ever guessed Florio is Patrick Mahomes OTHER little brother? I wouldn't have guessed it in a million years..  Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I havent watched and have mostly ignored the last two weeks outside of the Senior Bowl. My friends keep telling me about how sports news is alot of about the Rams stars like Donald Ramsey Miller Kupp Stafford OBJ and how the Bengals dont have much of a chance.

I reply in the same way... The Rams are like Coke and Pepsi name high name brand with alot of advertising... The Bengals are Royal Crown Cola they are just good.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 12:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Does anyone Still give Florio any creditability?

I do. He is a well connected source to good info. I am not particularly concerned with his jerkiness or arrogance. I disagree all the time.

Chris Simms is even better. I appreciate that he stands by his opinions all the time (like Mac Jones would be a good QB).

My choices in NFL TV watching:
#2 - PFT
#3 - Chris Simms Unbuttoned
#4 - PFTPM

And an overwhelming my #1 is NFL Matchup. The ONLY show on ESPN worth watching other than live games.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 06:30 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: I do.  He is a well connected source to good info. 

I'm not sure about that.  If you look at the articles on PFT NBC most of it is quoting or referencing news from other outlets and then making an article about it.  I don't recall many times when Florio or PFT broke news that was accurate.  The site is more of a news aggregator with added commentary by their contributors.  And that's how Florio and PFT got started before it was acquired by NBC so that makes sense. I remember when Florio's PFT had the, "Days without an arrest," tracker, you know because that provided some drama.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 06:38 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I'm not sure about that.  If you look at the articles on PFT NBC most of it is quoting or referencing news from other outlets and then making an article about it.  I don't recall many times when Florio or PFT broke news that was accurate.  The site is more of a news aggregator with added commentary by their contributors.  And that's how Florio and PFT got started before it was acquired by NBC so that makes sense. I remember when Florio's PFT had the, "Days without an arrest," tracker, you know because that provided some drama.

I’m not so sure of that take. He does regurgitate a ton of other tweets, but since he is one of the most prolific NFL tweeters that is to be expected. I appreciate that he did a most skeptical post about “deflategate” situation on how and it maybe a gross injustice. I getit, the NFL is the “ sports industrial complex” if there is such a thing. Simms is better nonetheless.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 12:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Does anyone Still give Florio any creditability?

I like Chris Simms well enough and will tolerate Florio to hear him when he doesnt do his own show
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 07:19 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: I’m not  so sure of that take.  He does regurgitate a ton of other tweets, but since he is one of the most prolific NFL tweeters that is to be expected.  I appreciate that he did a most skeptical post about “deflategate” situation on how and it maybe a gross injustice.  I getit, the NFL is the “ sports industrial complex” if there is such a thing.  Simms is better nonetheless.

Well you stated:

Quote:He is a well connected source to good info.

I disagree based on reading PFT for years and before NBC acquired it.  He doesn't seem to be a well connected source of info from what I have seen. Like you said he regurgitates information.  Tweeting a lot does not make one a well connected source.  Again my disdain for him has nothing to do with the Bengals. I've always thought he was a clown shoes.  I just think he has made a career out of talking about the NFL as troll at times and never really was a reporter himself.  Good for him making a career out of it but I won't respect him for that.  

I just think Florio is a grade A jackass and from what I have seen he embraces that role.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Also, it may be changing but I dont think the cities matter much to most NFL players. Katie Blackburn said herself its mostly a bidding war, and if not that its mostly about the quality of the team itself. Its not like KC or GB are dream cities.
Reply/Quote
I don't see why this is a topic at all for him to bring to the surface. Sounds like he was reaching for something to discuss. Doesn't matter if Joe considered or not, he is here. Plus, Joe is not that kind of person anyway and for Florio to question his ethics like that is petty.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 02:14 PM)Earendil Wrote: I love the mountains, but like MHG, I don't ski and I don't like winter. I actually moved to Florida because I needed a warmer climate due to health reasons. That and my sister got pregnant with my nephew. But the people there couldn't understand it. I got comments like "You must really like alligators and sinkholes!" I've lived here for almost six years and haven't even seen a single alligator in the wild. Nor have I seen a sinkhole, much less fallen into one.

People talk smack about Florida because of social media. Unless you're in like rural regions or Tallahasse its a fine state
Reply/Quote
Florio and simms are worthless.
Reply/Quote
Florio's a narcissist who can never admit when his hot takes are wrong.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote