Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Movies Make Less Money Now?
People can watch any movie they want within a couple of months of its release and yet they still go to theaters. It’s an event. It’s a night out with your wife. It’s popcorn like you can’t make at home.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 09:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: Tickets sold have nothing to do with a better experience.

No, but the size of the screen and the quality of the sound does.  It has already been pointed out to you that when they re-released Star Wars people flocked to the theater to see it on the big screen again.  That alone blows your argument out of the water.

It is clear that you don't care for theaters, but lots of other people do.  Stop pretending that you speak for everyone.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 11:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No, but the size of the screen and the quality of the sound does.  It has already been pointed out to you that when they re-released Star Wars people flocked to the theater to see it on the big screen again.  That alone blows your argument out of the water.

It is clear that you don't care for theaters, but lots of other people do.  Stop pretending that you speak for everyone.

Right, because nostalgia as I said (and Star Wars). As I also said it's the reason why drive in theaters have died off for the most part. They are cool occasionally but not practical regularly. This is where sit down theaters will end up eventually, not over night but eventually.

I'm not pretending I speak for everyone anymore than you are, I'm simply taking what I know through my marketing background and the coming generation and applying it to movies. There have been many articles written on the subject that all come to the same conclusion, that it is a matter of when not if. The screen size and sound you keep harping on is lost on kids and teens who spend most their time viewing their media on phones and tablets. They want their media now, the whole size dynamic doesn't really matter to them. They do their ordering online for clothes and items and have it brought to the, they view their media online immediately through youtube and streaming services, they order their food online and have it delivered to them. 

Why would the new movie releases somehow not fit what this generation wants? Heck, me even saying TV was probably too dated in truth. The real get is movies immediately available to be downloaded to a phone or tablet to be honest, but I think it gets proved out through an on demand model first.

It is kind of funny that this has a lot of similarities to the whole Block Buster argument. Block Buster believed people wanted to go to the movie store and walk around to see all the selection, pick them up, etc. It was a weekly event that ended with grabbing a pizza and was a family activity. Then Netflix came along and proved people don't really want to leave their house if they don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Still a good place to go on date night sometimes and that is not changing anytime soon.

Concessions prices bother you ? Fill her purse with goodies before entrance like the rest of us poor folk.

Plus movies are better at theater.

Now I only go about 6 or 7 times a year but all the theaters around me thrive and they just built another brand new one as well.

Believe they will last longer than you suspect.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 11:38 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Still a good place to go on date night sometimes and that is not changing anytime soon.

Concessions prices bother you ? Fill her purse with goodies before entrance like the rest of us poor folk.

Plus movies are better at theater.

Now I only go about 6 or 7 times a year but all the theaters around me thrive and they just built another brand new one as well.

Believe they will last longer than you suspect.

I get most people here are grown ups who have always known theaters as they have been, I'm trying to give a glimpse into whats coming from both consumers and technology.

We will see, the theater industry is pushing back against the studios obviously and they do have some clout because of some common interests. It will take a big studio to jump in before the ball gets rolling and then it will take time. I'm just saying this is where it will end up, but it won't get there over night. There are still Block Busters out there haha.

I think what will probably push it more is Netflix, Amazon, etc pushing out triple A movies with triple A actors and charging for those specific movies as one offs to prove out the model. One price for members, another price for non members.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 11:18 AM)Au165 Wrote: Right, because nostalgia as I said (and Star Wars). As I also said it's the reason why drive in theaters have died off for the most part. They are cool occasionally but not practical regularly. This is where sit down theaters will end up eventually, not over night but eventually.

I'm not pretending I speak for everyone anymore than you are, I'm simply taking what I know through my marketing background and the coming generation and applying it to movies. There have been many articles written on the subject that all come to the same conclusion, that it is a matter of when not if. The screen size and sound you keep harping on is lost on kids and teens who spend most their time viewing their media on phones and tablets. They want their media now, the whole size dynamic doesn't really matter to them. They do their ordering online for clothes and items and have it brought to the, they view their media online immediately through youtube and streaming services, they order their food online and have it delivered to them. 

Why would the new movie releases somehow not fit what this generation wants? Heck, me even saying TV was probably too dated in truth. The real get is movies immediately available to be downloaded to a phone or tablet to be honest, but I think it gets proved out through an on demand model first.

It is kind of funny that this has a lot of similarities to the whole Block Buster argument. Block Buster believed people wanted to go to the movie store and walk around to see all the selection, pick them up, etc. It was a weekly event that ended with grabbing a pizza and was a family activity. Then Netflix came along and proved people don't really want to leave their house if they don't have to.

Can't really compare drive-ins to theaters.  They were a worse experience as far as the quality of the product.  Either some POS speaker or a radio station you could barely pick up and the visual was worse than that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I had to stop going to theaters. They put recliner seats in all our theaters and now about 15 minutes into the movie, I'm snoring and my wife has to wake me......Not joking!
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 01:07 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I had to stop going to theaters. They put recliner seats in all our theaters and now about 15 minutes into the movie, I'm snoring and my wife has to wake me......Not joking!

Haha, that is actually pretty funny. I fell asleep during the last harry potter movie, same thing went back and I was out. 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 08:27 AM)michaelsean Wrote: People can watch any movie they want within a couple of months of its release and yet they still go to theaters. It’s an event. It’s a night out with your wife. It’s popcorn like you can’t make at home.

Exactly. It remains an "experience" to go to the theater. I still very much enjoy the atmosphere of the theater environment. Sure, there may be some annoyances from time to time, but it almost never detracts from the overall experience for me.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 09:31 AM)Au165 Wrote: My sound system (and many people's anymore) is as good as a movie theaters, and my 70 inch TV at 10 feet centered is better than a theater screen at 25 off center lol. Plus, I don't get bent over for food and drink and no annoying people. It's exclusive content that keeps the theaters alive, not the screens and sound. If people had equal choice they will choose to stay in, like we are seeing in many other industries. Heck look at the live sporting experience attendance is down because costs to attend are up, the crowds you sit around are not enjoyable, and frankly the at home experience is better. The same will happen to Movies once the "blackout" is lifted.

Not everybody has a 70 inch tv. Hell, some of the town's I work in don't even have high speed internet going to half the residents. 

Personally, I've got a decent home theater set up but I still prefer going to the theater. Because they've got exclusive stuff? No,I can stream most of it onafirestick. Because the food is great,or the sound? No. I go because I like going to the movies. 

Maybe I just like complaining about overpriced popcorn or small parking spaces. Or maybe it's just nice to have an excuse to get out of the house, turn off the phone and not have someone interrupt me every five minutes.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 11:18 AM)Au165 Wrote: Right, because nostalgia as I said (and Star Wars). As I also said it's the reason why drive in theaters have died off for the most part. They are cool occasionally but not practical regularly. This is where sit down theaters will end up eventually, not over night but eventually.

I go to a drive in every couple weeks. It's a few miles from the house and has great food. It's been around since the 50s and just expanded. 

Depending on whatson, some nights there isnt an open spot.
Reply/Quote